Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota - FSD Beta Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After receiving Tesla OS 2021.32.25 earlier this week (October 11th) I started recording my drives with FSD Beta to show my first hand experience with it on Minnesotan roads. For those that do not live in Minnesota, our roads are known for their poor markings, bad signage, abundance of pot holes, and overall rough conditions thanks to our ever changing climate (extreme heat in the summer, extreme cold in the winter). I will be using this thread to chronicle my experiences with FSD Beta and will be posting all videos I record to it going forward.

I hope you enjoy,

Dan

Video #4 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.2 - Home to Ideal Diner Drive

This video contains raw footage recorded on October 15th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.2 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to my company’s office (Edina, MN). Due to the fact my home is located in between the two nearest major freeways (I-35 & I-94), I take a non-standard route which I have found to be slightly faster then what navigation recommends. As a result, I enter several waypoints along the way in order to get the car to follow this specific route. In this video you will see several twists and turns, some tight turns, rush hour traffic levels, poor road surfaces, and little to no lane markings making it a great test route for FSD Beta.

Just got FSD Beta yesterday. Took it for a couple spins, and it’s about what I expected. In some respects awe inspiring and shocking. And in others disappointing.

THAT being said, anyone that’s overly critical of it is missing the forest for the trees. I can absolutely see the potential and where it’s headed. It’s in its infancy. I also respect that it’s still under fit in most locations. This is by no means a finished product, but no one with Tesla ever claimed that. Imagine legacy auto even attempting this. The best they can do is release a final product that’s already 5 years obsolete with no ability to improve. They then work on something for another 5 years and again release an inferior and obsolete product. I’m confident the kinks and quirks will get worked out over the next several months and the improvements will be quickly exponential.

Just got FSD Beta yesterday. Took it for a couple spins, and it’s about what I expected. In some respects awe inspiring and shocking. And in others disappointing.

THAT being said, anyone that’s overly critical of it is missing the forest for the trees. I can absolutely see the potential and where it’s headed. It’s in its infancy. I also respect that it’s still under fit in most locations. This is by no means a finished product, but no one with Tesla ever claimed that. Imagine legacy auto even attempting this. The best they can do is release a final product that’s already 5 years obsolete with no ability to improve. They then work on something for another 5 years and again release an inferior and obsolete product. I’m confident the kinks and quirks will get worked out over the next several months and the improvements will be quickly exponential.

Congrats on getting FSD Beta and well said!

Reactions: 82bert
Video #5 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.2 - Home to Parents’ House Drive

This video contains raw footage recorded on the evening of October 17th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.2 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to my parents’ house (Coon Rapids, MN). This particular route has a few turns, 4-way stops, and consists of a healthy mix of both city & highway driving. Since I do this drive several times a month, I was eager to see how FSD Beta would perform.

Video #6 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.2 - Home to Timberwolf CrossFit (Zero Disengagements*)

This video contains raw footage recorded on the afternoon of October 18th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.2 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to Timberwolf CrossFit (St. Paul, MN). This particular drive takes place during peak rush hour and thus includes plenty of busy city & freeway driving, jaywalking pedestrians, kamikaze bicyclists, and more. I do this drive 5 days a week so it was time to put FSD Beta 10.2 through its paces and see how it performs.

Video #7 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.2 - Home to Target Savage (Zero Disengagements!)

This video contains raw footage recorded on the evening of October 18th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.2 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to Target (Savage, MN). This particular drive takes place at night and includes a mix of city & freeway driving, a pass down the local obstacle course on Lincoln St NE (Johnson St NE construction detour), and more. Just like with the recent drive to Timberwolf CrossFit, I did not have to disengage Autopilot + FSD Beta at all throughout the drive.

Video #8 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.2 - Lincoln Street NE Obstacle Course (Zero Disengagements!)

This video contains raw footage recorded on the evening of October 18th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.2 driving me through what I call the Lincoln Street NE Obstacle Course (NE Minneapolis). To provide some background, road crews setup this obstacle course as a way to keep traffic from speeding down what is normally a quiet residential street while a section of Johnson Street NE was renovated. While FSD Beta continues to improve with every release it is important to stop and see just how good it is in its current incarnation.

Video #9 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.2 - Home to Cub Foods (Zero Disengagements!)

This video contains footage recorded on the morning of October 21st, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.2 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to Cub Foods (St. Anthony, MN). Even though this is a very short drive, I do it frequently each month so I was happy to see FSD Beta handle it without breaking a sweat. This also gave me a chance to try out my new in-car camera mount, I hope you like it! Just like with the recent drives to Timberwolf CrossFit and Target Savage, I did not have to disengage Autopilot + FSD Beta at all throughout the drive.

Video #10 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.3 - Home to South West St. Paul

This video contains footage recorded on the morning of October 24th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.3 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to South West St. Paul. This is my first drive with Tesla OS 2021.36.5.2 + FSD Beta 10.3 which introduced a number of new features & enhancements. The drive was very smooth and it seemed like Tesla had made several positive changes when it comes to smooth brake & throttle inputs.

UPDATE: With that said, Tesla just pulled this release and reverted everybody with FSD Beta back to Tesla OS 2021.36.5.1.

Video #11 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.3 - AEB + FCW Bug

As I mentioned in my previous video, Tesla has pulled Tesla OS 2021.36.5.2 aka FSD Beta 10.3 due to issues with Automatic Emergency braking (AEB) and Forward Collision Warnings caused by sentry mode. My initial drive with 10.3 was flawless however after parking my car for an hour with sentry mode enabled, I encountered all sorts of issues.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Video #12 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.3.1 - Wong's Gourmet to Home

This video contains footage recorded on the afternoon of October 25th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.3.1 driving me from my Wong's Gourmet (Fridley, MN) to Home (NE Minneapolis). This is my first drive with Tesla OS 2021.36.5.3 + FSD Beta 10.3.1 which included the same enhancements as 10.3 along with some showstopper bugs that resulted in 10.3 being pulled yesterday. My first impression was that the brake inputs were more abrupt however turns were a bit smoother. The assertive FSD profile also impressed me when it came to quickly making a lane change to avoid getting stuck behind a city road maintenance vehicle.

Video #13 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.3.1 - Home to Timberwolf CrossFit (Zero Disengagements!)

This video contains footage recorded on the afternoon of October 25th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.3.1 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to Timberwolf CrossFit (St. Paul, MN). Like a similar drive last week, this particular drive takes place during peak rush hour and thus includes plenty of busy city & freeway driving and more. I do this drive 5 days a week so it was time to put FSD Beta 10.2 through its paces and see how it performs.

Video #14 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.3.1 - Home to Parents’ House Drive

This video contains footage recorded on October 28th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.3.1 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to my parents’ house (Coon Rapids, MN). I previously did this route on 2021-10-17 and wanted to see if I noticed any changes between FSD Beta 10.2 and 10.3.x. As there are plenty of straight stretches along this route, I have fast forwarded through them to highlight the turns and places where I added commentary. Last but not least, this video is the first to include my trusty AutoPilot co-pilot, Chiquita :).

Last edited:
Video #15 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.3.1 - Driving Around St. Paul

This video contains footage recorded on the afternoon of October 29th, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.3.1 driving my friend and I around St. Paul, MN. This was my friend's first time riding in a Tesla and also his first time seeing a modern driver assistance system in action. Unfortunately, the video cuts out just before arriving at our destination as my Go Pro decided to overheat thanks to WiFi accidentally being left on. With that said, I am planning to do another drive through St. Paul later this week as it is a great proving ground for FSD thanks to its goofy intersections & streets. If you like seeing how FSD Beta handles our lovely Twin Cities streets, please like & subscribe.

Video #16 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.3.1 - Home to Target Center

This video contains footage recorded on the evening of November 1st, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.3.1 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to Target Center (Downtown Minneapolis). Although this drive is a short one it highlights where FSD Beta 10.3.x currently excels and struggles. Nighttime driving as well as overall handling of unmarked roads continues to be a pain point for FSD Beta 10.3.x. On top of this, I continue to notice more sudden / phantom braking episodes with this current build than I'd like to see. It's not all bad news though as FSD Beta is definitely more assertive (thanks to the newly added FSD profiles) and the car attempts maneuvers that it would never have attempted with version 10.2. As always if you like seeing how FSD Beta handles our lovely Twin Cities streets, please like & subscribe.