Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota - FSD Beta Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video #17 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.3.1 - Lincoln Street NE Obstacle Course Part II

This video contains footage recorded on the evening of November 1st, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.3.1 driving me through what I call the Lincoln Street NE Obstacle Course (NE Minneapolis). To provide some background, road crews setup this obstacle course as a way to keep traffic from speeding down what is normally a quiet residential street while a section of Johnson Street NE was renovated. I previously went through the obstacle course with FSD Beta 10.2 (see here) and so I wanted to see how FSD Beta 10.3.x would react and if there were any changes, positive or negative. One difference between this video and the previous one is that I enter the obstacle course from different ends however based on my testing that does not make a difference. As always if you like seeing how FSD Beta handles our lovely Twin Cities streets, please like & subscribe.

Reactions: power.saver
Video #18 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.3.1 - Driving Around Downtown Minneapolis

This video contains footage recorded on the evening of November 1st, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.3.1 driving me around random parts of Downtown Minneapolis while I waited to pickup my wife. As you will notice in the video, there are a few spots where FSD Beta really struggles and so I'll be making sure to note these and return once future builds are released.

Video #19 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.3.1 - Home to Timberwolf CrossFit (No Highway)

This video contains footage recorded on the afternoon of November 2nd, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.3.1 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to Timberwolf CrossFit (St. Paul, MN), all on city streets (no highways this time). Much like my previous videos, this video serves as an accurate depiction of the current state of FSD Beta when it comes to how it handles city streets. One thing I would like to note is that at around 15:35 my Go Pro overheated however I was able to quickly recover and so only a few seconds of video was lost. This will be my last video for FSD Beta 10.3.1 as 10.4 is now rolling out and I should have some comparison videos posted later this week. As always if you like seeing how FSD Beta handles our lovely Twin Cities streets, please like & subscribe.

Video #20 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.4 - Home to Parents’ House

This video contains footage recorded on November 8th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.4 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to my parents’ house (Coon Rapids, MN). I most recently drove this route on 2021-10-28 and wanted to see if I noticed any changes between FSD Beta 10.3.1 and 10.4. As there are plenty of straight stretches along this route, I have fast forwarded through them to highlight the turns and places where I added commentary.

Video #21 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.4 - Parents’ House to Timberwolf CrossFit

This video contains footage recorded on November 8th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.4 driving me from my parents’ house (Coon Rapids, MN) to Timberwolf CrossFit (St. Paul, MN). With this being my second longer drive with FSD Beta 10.4, I have some initial feedback that I'd like to share:

Good
  • Confidence while turning - The car appears to be more confident in FSD Beta 10.4 and makes less jerky wheel movements once the car is in a turn.
  • Braking Inputs - The braking inputs are SO MUCH smoother with FSD Beta 10.4 (especially when compared to version 10.3), so good that it almost feels human like. You can tell the car is using more regen and less brakes when slowing and all of the inputs have been made to be more gradual. Nice work Tesla team!
  • Assertiveness - As I use the 'Assertive' FSD Profile, I noticed the car is now more wiling to pass turning cars at intersections. Overall this is a nice improvement however when coupled with old map data it can cause confusion with routing.
  • Less timid with empty 4-way stops - When approaching empty 4-way stops, the car is more confident and more quickly proceeds in FSD Beta 10.4 as opposed to the previous behavior which consisted of creeping very slowly with constant brake inputs.
Needs Work
  • Handling of short turn lanes - As was the case with FSD Beta 10.2 & 10.3, the car still fails to use shorter turn lanes confusing drivers around us.
  • Appropriately using driving space - When making turns, the car does not do a great job of aligning itself to the left or the right (curbing or painted lines) which confuses & impedes surrounding traffic.
  • Sweeping turns - When turning left at a busy intersection, the car should refrain from using sweeping lines when turning and instead take a more point & shoot approach much like a human driver would.
  • Creep behavior when making turns (left or right) - The car is still too timid when making a left or right turn which results in either the car inching out to the point where it obstructs traffic or takes longer than it needs to and impedes traffic from behind.
  • Out of date maps - Because the car is relying on map data from almost a year ago, numerous odd routing issues crop up that could easily be avoided with updated maps. Tesla - If you are listening, please update the maps!

Thanks so much for posting these. It's nice to see FSD beta working in my own area/neighborhoods. I'm not a subscriber (yet), but am subscriber-curious. Someday.

Now that you've driven with FSD beta for several weeks, do you see it "learning" at all in some of the poorly marked areas (or for instance, the 394W to 100S ramps)? Apologies if you have addressed that, I just came across the thread and haven't watched everything. I am wondering if FSD is learning over time at the individual car level, and more importantly if that machine learning is being applied in real time to other FSD cars. Given Tesla's computing power, I am assuming so!

Reactions: dburkland
Video #22 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.4 - Home to Work Drive

This video contains footage recorded on November 9th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.4 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to my company’s office (Edina, MN). I previously recorded this drive in an earlier video with FSD 10.2 and so you'll notice some improvements along with some issues that remain.

Thanks so much for posting these. It's nice to see FSD beta working in my own area/neighborhoods. I'm not a subscriber (yet), but am subscriber-curious. Someday.

Now that you've driven with FSD beta for several weeks, do you see it "learning" at all in some of the poorly marked areas (or for instance, the 394W to 100S ramps)? Apologies if you have addressed that, I just came across the thread and haven't watched everything. I am wondering if FSD is learning over time at the individual car level, and more importantly if that machine learning is being applied in real time to other FSD cars. Given Tesla's computing power, I am assuming so!

My pleasure, I mainly do it to track changes between builds and so it has been interesting reviewing footage and noticing slight changes that I didn't notice while driving (or thinking something is fixed and seeing it come up again in another video).

I have seen FSD handle some areas better in newer builds however a lot of navigation-related challenges remain as Tesla has yet to update the navigation maps (which is really noticeable around I-35W / Crosstown as an example - affects AutoPilot behavior more than FSD). Even with FSD Beta 10.4 the car still struggles a bit with unmarked areas and likes to position itself in the center of the road vs aligning itself to the right. Areas like the on ramp from 394W to 100S have yet to change much because the car still stays in the old AutoPilot stack and does not leverage the newer FSD stack. Once Tesla leverages a single stack for both city & highway driving I expect these sort of issues to get resolved. Hope this helps!

Video #23 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.4 - Rosedale Mall to Home

This video contains footage recorded on the evening November 11th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.4 driving me from Rosedale Mall (Roseville, MN) to my home (NE Minneapolis). Even though this is a fairly short drive, it highlights some of the scenarios that FSD Beta 10.4 currently struggles with.

Video #24 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.4 - Barbershop to Home

This video contains footage recorded on the afternoon of November 16th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.4 driving me from The Familia Barbershop (South Minneapolis) to my home (NE Minneapolis). Along the way you will notice several common scenarios that you would expect to encounter in any similarly-sized US city. Last but not least, if you live in the Twin Cities and looking for a good barber I highly recommend Hugo at The Familia (Book Your Appointment with Hugo the barber at The Familia - Hair Salon/Barbershop).

The general consensus is that cars only improve when they receive a new software version so learning is certainly not applied to other FSD cars in real time. Perhaps learning/memory is happening at the individual car level but this is still speculation.

Video #25 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.4 - Home to Columbia Heights

This video contains footage recorded on the afternoon of November 16th, 2021 of Autopilot + FSD Beta 10.4 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to Columbia Heights and back. Even though this is a fairly short video, it does a decent job of highlighting some scenarios that currently cause FSD Beta 10.4 trouble including early braking when approaching intersections (that we will be turning at).

Video #26 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.4 - Home to Timberwolf CrossFit (No Highway)

This video contains footage recorded on the afternoon of November 16th, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.3.1 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to Timberwolf CrossFit (St. Paul, MN), all on city streets (no highways). Along the way I noticed several improvements with FSD Beta 10.4 compared to when I did a similar drive with FSD Beta 10.3.1. With FSD Beta 10.5 starting to roll out this will be my last 10.4 video. As always if you like seeing how FSD Beta handles our lovely Twin Cities streets, please like & subscribe.

Video #26 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.4 - Home to Timberwolf CrossFit (No Highway)

This video contains footage recorded on the afternoon of November 16th, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.3.1 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to Timberwolf CrossFit (St. Paul, MN), all on city streets (no highways). Along the way I noticed several improvements with FSD Beta 10.4 compared to when I did a similar drive with FSD Beta 10.3.1. With FSD Beta 10.5 starting to roll out this will be my last 10.4 video. As always if you like seeing how FSD Beta handles our lovely Twin Cities streets, please like & subscribe.
Will be interesting how FSD will handle snow. When do you start getting snow ?

Reactions: bruce4000
Thanks for the videos! I live over the border in WI, but know that when exiting small MN towns using Autopilot, the road signs read "End Reduced Speed" or something like that. Unfortunately, Autopilot doesn't know what to do with that and continues at 35mph or whatever. In rural WI, Autopilot often sets improper speed. I often drive on Hwy 35 and I think that may be why it often decelerates to 35, but sometimes it goes to 45, so I'm not sure. Any experience with Beta in rural MN or WI?

• Love
Thanks for the videos! I live over the border in WI, but know that when exiting small MN towns using Autopilot, the road signs read "End Reduced Speed" or something like that. Unfortunately, Autopilot doesn't know what to do with that and continues at 35mph or whatever. In rural WI, Autopilot often sets improper speed. I often drive on Hwy 35 and I think that may be why it often decelerates to 35, but sometimes it goes to 45, so I'm not sure. Any experience with Beta in rural MN or WI?

Thanks for watching and glad you have enjoyed them! I used to make a trip every summer to Webb Lake not too far from you, beautiful area.

In regards to FSD Beta, I haven't yet driven with it in WI (especially the rural parts) however I have driven on plenty of rural highways in MN with v10.2 & 10.3.1. Honestly both builds were a bit shaky on rural two lane highways where I experienced plenty of phantom braking, unnecessary use of bypass lanes, and sudden braking when approaching 4-way stops. According to the release notes this sort of behavior should be much improved with v10.5 so as soon as I get this release I'll do a rural drive in the next week.

Cheers,

Dan

Video #27 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.5 - Home to McDonalds

This video contains footage recorded on the morning of November 23rd, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.5 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to McDonalds (Columbia Heights) and back. Even though this is a fairly short video, I wanted to share my initial impression of FSD Beta 10.5 and if I noticed any immediate changes in vehicle behavior.

Video #27 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.5 - Home to McDonalds

This video contains footage recorded on the morning of November 23rd, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.5 driving me from my home (NE Minneapolis) to McDonalds (Columbia Heights) and back. Even though this is a fairly short video, I wanted to share my initial impression of FSD Beta 10.5 and if I noticed any immediate changes in vehicle behavior.
Dan,

On your return trip with the early stop on Central before NE 37th, it might be due to Reservoir coming in from the side that confuses FSD on the size of the intersection. Watch the visualization for clues it might be thinking this intersection is larger than it is. Another interesting test if you're so inclined would be to come out of Reservoir at Central and try to go west.

As always, great video!

• Love
Video #28 - Tesla - FSD Beta 10.5 - NE Minneapolis Test Loop (Night)

This video contains footage recorded on the evening of November 23rd, 2021 of FSD Beta 10.5 driving me around a test loop that I came up with in Northeast Minneapolis. After many drives with FSD I have noticed several spots where it has continued to struggle so I have since compiled these locations into a single, repeatable drive. I will be doing this drive after each release with the goal of testing for improvements as well as regressions (daytime & nighttime). My initial impression w/ FSD Beta 10.5 so far:
  • Good
    • Improved Turning Confidence - The car is noticeably more confident when turning either left or right than it previously was in FSD Beta 10.4. On this drive I experienced several turns that eerily human-like in line selection, throttle application, and just overall confidence.
    • Braking Inputs - The braking inputs continue to get better and from what I can tell Tesla has made another step here with 10.5.
    • Detection of Pedestrians - The car does a great job at spotting hidden pedestrians and reacting in a properly cautious manner.
  • Needs Work
    • Handling of yellow light when in middle of intersection - Tesla still needs to work on how the car handles scenarios when it is in the middle of an intersection with a yellow light (solid, not flashing) where the light changes to red.
    • Creep behavior when making turns (left or right) - The car still doesn't smoothly roll into the intersection when waiting to turn left or right. Instead I noticed the car will repeatedly go from throttle to brake making for a very jarring experience. I hope Tesla focuses on this one as it puts you at risk for getting rear ended.
    • Planner not using short turn lanes - As was the case with FSD Beta 10.2 - 10.4, the car still fails to use shorter turn lanes confusing surrounding drivers.
    • Sweeping turns - When turning left at a busy intersection, the car should refrain from attempting sweeping lines when turning and instead take a more point & shoot approach. Aligning itself to either the painted inside line or the curb would help make the car's intent more predictable.
    • Unmarked Roads - The car still likes to position itself in the center of larger unmarked roads even with oncoming traffic. If cars are not parked on the shoulder of the direction we are traveling the car should bias itself more towards the curb vs dead center in the entire road.
    • Unnecessary Braking For Vehicles Turning Right Ahead - When a vehicle up ahead is turning right FSD will unnecessarily brake for them even though they are for sure turning and out of our driving path. I'd like to see the car on Assertive maintain our speed and go around the turning car in the event of them going slower to make their turn.
    • Auto High Beam Usage - Needs attention as the car likes to flash other drivers & pedestrians especially in well lit urban environments.
    • Some 4-way Stops Still A Problem - At several 3-way or 4-way stops near me the car will always overly hesitate even when there are no cars present (and visibility is clear).
    • Out of date maps - Need I say more at this point?