Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota ICEd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my first day with my Model S, I go to the Mall of America (big, booming voice) to see the Ice Castle outdoor art exhibit, and I figure I should learn how to use the EV chargers. one stall is taken up by a tidy Chevrolet Volt and the other is consumed by a Hummer 3. I put my hazard lights on and hop out with a puzzled look on my face. A manicured young woman runs up to me, apologizes profusely, ascends into her 10mpg combat vehicle/grocery getter, and allows me to park. She was still waiting to pick up someone, so I went over and thanked her gleefully. At this point, she asked me to call her cell phone because she couldn't find it.

Here's the kicker: her cell number is NY, not MN. She was from out of town!

I hope Chargepoint et al figure out that putting these stations in distant parking stalls means it is unlikely they will be ICEd. I know that in the near term they are trying to do something about awareness. BTW, $0.49 /kWh was expensive. About the price round-trip for gasoline.

Outside of 1 roadster that i see every once in a blue moon in Maple Grove MN, I have yet to see an electric car in the wild. Until EV's become more popular out here i doubt the ~15 charging stations in the entire state will be that available.

Hilarious (but sad...) that your first ICE'd is a Hummer though.

New York area codes are used in New Jersey also. A friend of mine has a Texas area code living in New Jersey. My fax number was assigned to me from New Hampshire when in New Jersey. Area Codes mean nothing anymore as I must dial 1- Area Code-Number no matter who I call and where. If you move you take your number with you today or change your land line to cell phone even.

New York area codes are used in New Jersey also. A friend of mine has a Texas area code living in New Jersey. My fax number was assigned to me from New Hampshire when in New Jersey. Area Codes mean nothing anymore as I must dial 1- Area Code-Number no matter who I call and where. If you move you take your number with you today or change your land line to cell phone even.

xkcd: Cell Number -- area code applies to when you got the original phone number, AKA where you lived pre-2005

Uh my wifes number is 917 (NYC) and she has lived in Atlanta for almost a decade. Cell numbers only tell you where you lived in 2005!

cell_number.png

xkcd: Cell Number

And I actually got to select my last 4 digits (granted from a list, but my first choice was on the list), so not random for me! Then 2 days later I realized my error and had to change my PIN on everything. Ah to be young and stupid. And my number dates back to 2001.

EDIT:

xkcd: Cell Number -- area code applies to when you got the original phone number, AKA where you lived pre-2005

And I should at least scan the thread before I get all excited about a 100% on topic (well not quite) XKCD comic.