Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

Minnesota desired SuperCharger locations (General location)

• Minneapolis/St. Paul

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Rochester

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Duluth

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • St. Cloud

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Mankato

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Winona

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Bemidji

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Brainerd

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Fargo (ND)

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 23.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do you need to be able to travel?
From Minneapolis to Winnipeg.
*Apologizes to Minnesota owners who don't live on the West side of the city. *

Can debate if grocery stores are a good idea or not separately but this spot specifically looks very strategically placed. A lot of current owners live and work on the West side of the Twin Cites and traveling crosstown to supercharge would be going a little far.

It's also good for people traveling to Northern Minnesota coming from Eastern and Southern Minnesota via I-94 west and 35e North. Good decision to put it off 694. You can use the 494/694 loop and bypass downtown St.Paul/Minneapolis. The network is for long distance travel and this location fits the bill.
I agree that this is a good location within the Twin Cities metro area to enable long distance travel that passes through the city while being in a location that is not very conducive to locals using the Supercharger. Did anyone who's on here suggest this location to Tesla through their suggestion option online?

I snapped a couple of quick photos of the Supercharger station under construction in Oakdale, MN earlier this afternoon. Also included a screen grab of the map location of the Hy-Vee store and indicated where the Supercharger is physically located.
OakdaleSupercharger2016_b.jpg
OakdaleSupercharger2016.jpg
Oakdale Supercharger.png

OakdaleSupercharger2016_b.jpg OakdaleSupercharger2016.jpg Oakdale Supercharger.png

MSP has, for some reason, been treated differently than the other ~32 largest cities in the United States:

CiQkbDUUUAEg2ac.jpg:large
Vancouver, BC is another large city with no Supercharger, just like Seattle. As I continue to consider a used Model S I was researching possible road trips & how well developed the Supercharger network is for getting to the places I'd go. The first trip I'd likely take is one out to Alberta & British Columbia to visit family. The Supercharger network is rather limited in that part of the country, so it would take some real planning to make a successful trip, particularly when there are no Superchargers near Vancouver. That would make traveling that area a bit difficult, since I'd have to rely on L2 charging or being limited to lodging options with Destination Charging.

From today. A little more progress
View attachment 185249

I have a question. The concrete/brick wall is complete and all that equipment in place.
If you look at the far left edge of the image, outside of the concrete enclosure, there are a couple of really big conduits in the cement.
Is there some other peice of hardware we are waiting on?

There were a couple of workers out painting fresh lines today, so it looks ready anytime. But those open conduits bug me. Possibly there for expansion?

I have a question. The concrete/brick wall is complete and all that equipment in place.
If you look at the far left edge of the image, outside of the concrete enclosure, there are a couple of really big conduits in the cement.
Is there some other peice of hardware we are waiting on?

There were a couple of workers out painting fresh lines today, so it looks ready anytime. But those open conduits bug me. Possibly there for expansion?

Just guessing here--hard for me to see. It might be the pad for the transformer. But the transformer could already be in place, and I cannot see it.

Transformer would seem logical but it needs a pad so why would they put mulch in only to dig it out later for the pad? Future non-Tesla chargers?

The pad that they used here was pre-cast. No one poured cement. With my incredible lack of construction skills, I guess that as long as the surface is leveled, there should not be an issue. But remember I have zero knowledge of the building trades.