Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

Minnesota desired SuperCharger locations (General location)

• Minneapolis/St. Paul

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Rochester

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Duluth

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • St. Cloud

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Mankato

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Winona

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Bemidji

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Brainerd

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Fargo (ND)

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 23.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was at LaCrosse yesterday, there was a crew there installing fencing around the electrical cabinets. It was single digit temps, and the wind was howling. They were not happy to be there. But I guess they are still working on the sites after they are opened. Even in the cold.

Wow! Unpaved charging stalls; guess the asphalt will have to wait for warmer weather. On top of that, no enclosure around the 480 Volt Distribution Center, and Supercharger Cabinets!

Used the Albert Lea Supercharger last week. The Supercharger is in the parking lot of a AmericInn hotel which we thought was a nice hotel, solid 3 star, newer construction. It cost us just under $100/night, including a pretty decent breakfast. Within walking distance there is a McDonald's, a supermarket, and an Applebee's restaurant that was open pretty late. Plenty of stuff to do if you just have to kill an hour or so to Supercharge, or a good place to spend the night for an overnight.

Albert Lea, MN 2.jpg

Last edited:
Drove down to the Albert Lea SC just to try it (it's the closest one to me). I noticed that next to the SC there are posts next to the parking stalls and they have 120v outlets on them. I checked with the hotel staff about posting a mention of them on plugshare: They were really nice and said that was fine, that the outlets were originally installed because people often need to power block heaters in their cars in the winter time. In that part of the state, it is common for the interstate to get closed at times in the winter because of blowing snow (there are gates on the on-ramps that they close in bad weather to keep people off).
IMG_20141020_142628.jpg
IMG_20141020_144533.jpg

If possible, talk to the maintenance shop before listing these 120V outlets. Several outlets could be on a single circuit. In general, you would want each outlet on a separate circuit for EV charging to avoid tripped circuit breakers. Not a guaranteed problem, but something to be aware of. A quick google search said the block heater on a pickup uses about 750W (more than half the draw of an EV charging at 120V/12A.

I am very excited to see MN is scheduled to get 5 more SC's in 2015, hopefully the schedule sticks.

As the map stands now, I think there is a need to move things a little bit or add an SC in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

If the map holds there will be a 223 mile gap between Eau Claire and Alexandria on 94, and 228 from Albert Lea to Alexandria, too far. They could move the Alexandria SC east to around St. Cloud because Fargo is only 107 miles from Alexandria. St. Cloud to Fargo is 171 miles.

The SC that appears around Cloquet is also tough because it is 231 miles from Albert Lea. This SC could move south toward Hinckley, but then you start to under serve the NE part of the state and you still have 175 miles from Albert Lea to Hinckley.

I think Tesla needs to 1) add an SC in the MPLS/SP area or 2) pull the Cloquet SC south and the Alexandria SC east.

Having an SC in MPLS/SP would also make it easier to access the Brainerd and Bemidji SC's. It could also mean the Cloquet SC could move to Duluth.

What do you guys think?

If there were a SuperCharger in MPLS/SP I think the Mall of America or the West End development in St. Louis Park would be worth considering.

Already being planned, although a metro area charger is not currently as high a priority.
As for west end or MOA I think either would be awful.
Too much time off the highway and real estate is likely too expensive at west end.
I suspect we will eventually see two in the metro area. One near 169&694. The other around 35W(or E) and 94 IF they can find a suitable location/cost. The 35/94 one first would be my guess.

If you have suggestions, send them to [email protected].

The West End is only a few miles from the 35/94 interchange, and also 169, 100, 394, and 494. It has a lot of parking as well as tons of restaurants, a 24 hour grocery store, a movie theater, a few hotels, a Lifetime Fitness, and Costco all easily within walking distance. Why do you think that is awful?

35/94 would be good geographically, I just can't think of specifically where you would put it that offers easy access and complementary businesses/services.

Trying to think of a good 35E/94 spot, and the best I can think of is the Sears between Marion and Rice streets (right by the capitol). It's pretty easy on/off. Another spot could be near the Cathedral. Neither are downtown, but there are open lots.

I could eventually see 4 in the metro area; 94/694/494 (Woodbury area), Maple Grove, 35W/494 (Bloomington area), 35E/694 (Shoreview/Maplewood). Near major entry/exit points to the cities, and spread out enough for users.

Keep in mind - I neither own nor drive a Tesla - just been thinking about it a lot.

As someone who regularly drives from Eau Claire to Duluth I REALLY hope they don't put a SC in Cloquet, that would be such a waste! Downtown Duluth might be tough because of parking but the DECC parking area isn't too far from the Canal Park district which has a bunch of restaurants and other stuff to do. Make it happen Tesla!

I heard it through the rumor mill that the original plan was Duluth but they are looking further south. I really hope it is Duluth too, and near Canal Park would really be cool.
As someone who travels from Mpls to Ely and Grand Marais often, Duluth would be great in all respects (mid-way between metro and many NE MN destinations, Duluth is a a great place to spend time, it is the geographic hub of the area.)

The "problem" is if you don't have a metro area Supercharger, then it is too far from existing SC's to make Duluth. If I had to take a guess at it I would say the Tobie's parking lot in Hinckley will get some consideration. If you are listening Tesla, please go with Duluth, and within walking distance of Canal Park.

If you're travelling through and need to charge near 169 & 694, stop at Great River Energy. They have Chargepoint chargers there. While you are there, you can walk around their park and read about what they are doing in renewable energy, resource-efficient landscaping, and power generation. Just don't talk about their big coal plant. Shh! If you find you need a bite to eat, the Arbor Lakes mall is across the street.

I believe that the Duluth SC location will be somewhere between Clouqet and Duluth? But perhaps Hinckley would be a better location. Perhaps at Toby's? We had a cabin in Danbury, WI and I know a lot of TC residents in the area also. This way, it would be beneficial not only for the N-S traffic but also those heading east into western Wisconsin. I see that Evbwcaer mentioned this. The simple fact is that Tesla is going to have to go for closer density in these cold northern states so eventually, why not both Duluth and another midway point on 35W? Not to mention all those future Model X owners towing boats and snowmobiles. They will utilize more power obviously when they tow.