Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota Tesla Owners Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Duluth and Brainerd Superchargers just got pushed back to 2015, big bummer. They were listed as 2014.

I have contacted Tesla about getting some HPWC's in the NE part of the state. There is not a single outlet on Plugshare in the Arrowhead.

Duluth and Brainerd Superchargers just got pushed back to 2015, big bummer. They were listed as 2014.

Huge bummer. I'm from Minnesota but I live in Madison, WI. I ended up springing for a 14-50 at my parents' place on Grand Lake (near Cold Spring) (near St Cloud) since it's such a dead zone north of the twin cities.

It would be awesome if they put a supercharger in St. Cloud but if they're pushing back the planned ones that doesn't bode well for ones on people's unplanned wish-lists.

I do have some good news to report for some of MN. There should be 4 HPWCs going in the NE part of the state. I have been working with Tesla to help get these chargers out into the wild and it has been very nice.
That's excellent, my parents live in Duluth so it would be great to have more charging options when we take a trip up there. Would you mind sharing what the proposed locations are?

I am still working to figure out the exact locations, but the towns are going to be Duluth (Canal Park), Ely (this is 100% solid, a hotel on the main drag), Grand Marais and Virgina.

I have also been contacting campgrounds that have hookups to put them on Plugshare. Right now, the NE does not have a single plug on Plugshare, not even a 110v, outside of Duluth. I have made it my mission to change that. A lot of the campgrounds are along the very rural roads, such as the Gunflint Trail and Hwy. 1, just where they would be needed.

With HPWC's in the "major" towns/arteries, and a few rural campgrounds on board with 14-50's, the NE will be really well covered.

I feel it is important to have good saturation in this area because of the long camping trips people do (vampire) and the extreme cold weather that can occur.

Thunder Bay ON has a 90 amp charger, so the Grand Marias HPWC will help to bridge the gap between Duluth and Thunder Bay, 190 miles, could even be tough even in an 85 if it is very cold.

If anybody happens to have connections in Duluth, Grand Marais or Virginia, please let me know. In each town I have a good business that is strongly considering hosting an HPWC, but I really want to get these set in stone ASAP.

The Holiday Inn in Duluth has a charging station. That was one of my first road trips, actually!
Yup, and The Depot has a charger as well, at least according to plugshare. Both of these would be emergency stop overs for me as my folks live close to Two Harbors and that's a bit of a stretch for my 60 coming from the Eau Claire SCer, if the temp dips below the 40's. Would love to have access to a HPWC in Duluth to get a top up since, I believe, all of the current chargers are 30A J1772's.

- - - Updated - - -

I am still working to figure out the exact locations, but the towns are going to be Duluth (Canal Park), Ely (this is 100% solid, a hotel on the main drag), Grand Marais and Virgina.

I have also been contacting campgrounds that have hookups to put them on Plugshare. Right now, the NE does not have a single plug on Plugshare, not even a 110v, outside of Duluth. I have made it my mission to change that. A lot of the campgrounds are along the very rural roads, such as the Gunflint Trail and Hwy. 1, just where they would be needed.

With HPWC's in the "major" towns/arteries, and a few rural campgrounds on board with 14-50's, the NE will be really well covered.

I feel it is important to have good saturation in this area because of the long camping trips people do (vampire) and the extreme cold weather that can occur.

Thunder Bay ON has a 90 amp charger, so the Grand Marias HPWC will help to bridge the gap between Duluth and Thunder Bay, 190 miles, could even be tough even in an 85 if it is very cold.

If anybody happens to have connections in Duluth, Grand Marais or Virginia, please let me know. In each town I have a good business that is strongly considering hosting an HPWC, but I really want to get these set in stone ASAP.
That's great news, thanks for your hard work on this and make sure you post on any progress moving forward.

Yup, and The Depot has a charger as well, at least according to plugshare. Both of these would be emergency stop overs for me as my folks live close to Two Harbors and that's a bit of a stretch for my 60 coming from the Eau Claire SCer, if the temp dips below the 40's. Would love to have access to a HPWC in Duluth to get a top up since, I believe, all of the current chargers are 30A J1772's.

under 160 miles you should be fine in any temperature in a 60kwh, just don't blow the leaves off the trees driving there and you'll be fine. Here's my experience: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/entry.php/111-Two-holidays-with-a-Model-S

If anybody wants to help with this process (getting the NE of MN electrified), please contact campgrounds that have NEMA 14-50's and ask them if they will list on Plugshare. I just got on google maps and typed in "campground" and starting emailing campgrounds that looked geographically relevant and either stated they had 14-50's or it looked like they would.

I know a lot of business don't actively check their emails, the ones like, [email protected] so a call might be better, or them hearing from more people in general.

I'll keep you guys posted in general about getting the HPWC's out.

Are and Xcel customers here using a second meter or Time of Day Plan for charging? With the Time of Day plan you basically pay 17cents/kwh from 9a to 9p and 2cents/kwh from 9p to 9a. I am getting solar, so if my solar is worth 17cents/kwh (because it would essentially all be generated from 9a to 9p) I would be sitting in great position. I am not sure if that is the case however.

Are and Xcel customers here using a second meter or Time of Day Plan for charging? With the Time of Day plan you basically pay 17cents/kwh from 9a to 9p and 2cents/kwh from 9p to 9a. I am getting solar, so if my solar is worth 17cents/kwh (because it would essentially all be generated from 9a to 9p) I would be sitting in great position. I am not sure if that is the case however.

I am on the TOD plan with Xcel but I am unable to have solar at my current location. I have been told a few different things from Xcel when I asked about this scenario. The one that I find the most plausible is that your solar surplus is paid back at the standard rate of around 8-9c/kwh. The others I have been told is that it is not possible to be on TOD and solar as well as what you defined above where its paid back at the full 17c/kwh.

I'm in Minneapolis on Xcel, I have an an electric heating/cooling system (ground source heat pump) with the attendant savings. I have heard that I can't also use EV charging at the discounted rate. Does anyone know if this is true?

Xcel pays us 4c/kWh for overproduction.

We have a Sharp/Enphase 9.5kW solar array on top of the house that yields about 60kWh on clear sunny days and averages 34kWh/day if you annualize it. We did the analysis and the "Time of Day" metering isn't going to help us unless we put in a battery for storing excess power we generate during the day. Also staying on fixed rate.

I'm in Minneapolis on Xcel, I have an an electric heating/cooling system (ground source heat pump) with the attendant savings. I have heard that I can't also use EV charging at the discounted rate. Does anyone know if this is true?

I'm building right now with a geothermal system and the way I am interpreting things (not 100% sure yet), you need 3 meters:

1. Regular energy meter
2. Off peak meter for geothermal
3. ToD for EV

You can connect the EV to the off-peak, but off-peak allows you to charge only during off-peak. If you need to charge during the day, you are SOL.

Xcel pays us 4c/kWh for overproduction.

We have a Sharp/Enphase 9.5kW solar array on top of the house that yields about 60kWh on clear sunny days and averages 34kWh/day if you annualize it. We did the analysis and the "Time of Day" metering isn't going to help us unless we put in a battery for storing excess power we generate during the day. Also staying on fixed rate.

Hi AMN, what is your average monthly use in Kwh? Thanks

Hi AMN, what is your average monthly use in Kwh? Thanks

I assume you are talking about our car's energy consumption...
The all time average is 360Watts/Mile (17,200 miles). Last year, the panels produced about 94.5 miles of driving range per day.
Now they make more efficient panels... at least 20% more efficient, so the numbers will be even better.

Hi guys. In trying to get these HPWCs out into the wild the install cost has been an issue. I am wondering if any of you, or anyone you know, is an EV-loving electrician who would be willing to provide installation as a discount....or maybe for materials only? NE MN. is where I am focusing, but any part of the state would be good to have covered.

Update: Things are coming along on the HPWC front for NE Minn. Surprisingly it has been a little bit of a challenge to find destinations but we have Ely finalized, Grand Marais is just about finalized and a great lead in Two Harbors. You should start to see these HPWC's showing up on Plugshare.

We do have a 4th HPWC to get out. Duluth would be great, it may go to the end of the Gunflint Trail as well. Duluth won't be as relevant when the Supercharger goes in next year, and they already have a few 32A J1772's...fine for overnight. You could also Supercharge, and then go to Canal Park in Duluth and J1772 @ 32a for an hour or so if you wanted to top off a range charge.

The Arrowhead electric cooperative has also expressed some interest for a charging option at their LEED Gold building on Hwy 61, but no guarantees and they said it could be a few months, probably just a 14-50 or a low amp J1772, not sure.