Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been following the Jan waiting room posting but it's a little busy. I thought I would create a post to help focus on the Minnesota folks. Here are my build details

White, black interior, 19", tow, standard auto pilot

OD: 1/13 around 8pm
Vin : 2/5 Fremont build
Pickup: 2/13

I'll update this post my experience after I pick up. If it has the matrix lights, mud flaps, rear PPF, etc....

I do have a full front end PPF appointment setup right after I pickup.

This is Jeff-4's update on his Model Y. I got his permission to repost this here.

Update:
MYLR Midnight Silver Metallic, 19" Gemini
OD 1/14 1:00pm CST
EDD Originally gave Jan-March
EDD changed to Jan 26 - Feb 23 on 1/18
EDD changed to Feb 3- Feb 17 on 1/27
EDD changed to Feb 12-19 and VIN assigned at 8:30 pm 1/29
EDD changed to Feb 6-15 on 2/4
Text received to schedule delivery: 9:00 am (CST), Sunday, 2/5
Delivery scheduled 2/11
PF668xxx

Well,I couldn't contain myself and stopped by the dealership this morning before they opened (my delivery is scheduled for tomorrow). After looking at quite a few Austin-built cars, I did find mine (Fremont build). In my preliminary inspection, almost all of the panel gaps were uniform, and I could not see any paint defects, although the car was quite dirty and covered with frost (I'm in MN). The only things I noticed were that both rear doors seemed just a little out of alignment, since the door and wheel well trim were not completely flush. The trim was proud on the driver side and the door was slightly proud on the passenger side. Also, I can confirm that this MYLR Fremont car has matrix headlights. Please see photos. The car also had a rear luggage cover in place. I spaced out and forgot to look for mudflaps and PPF, but I think these are to be installed prior to taking delivery.

I will point out the door alignment issues when I take delivery, but I am wondering if any of you have experience or thoughts about this?

P.S. I'm having some problems with uploading images... Will try to post these later.

Door alignment seems like an easy fix. Check to see if the top most wheel well trim clip is installed. I was watching a recent youtube delivery check and the upper clips on both sides were missing causing the trim to not be flush.

I've been following the Jan waiting room posting but it's a little busy. I thought I would create a post to help focus on the Minnesota folks. Here are my build details

White, black interior, 19", tow, standard auto pilot

OD: 1/13 around 8pm
Vin : 2/5 Fremont build
Pickup: 2/13

I'll update this post my experience after I pick up. If it has the matrix lights, mud flaps, rear PPF, etc....

I do have a full front end PPF appointment setup right after I pickup.
I am also doing PPF, but only on the front bumper (too rich for me to do the full front end). Could you share the cost and who's doing it?

Twin cities Auto styling in West St Paul will be doing my job. It includes a full front including headlights, fog lights, mirrors, front half of the a pillars. It was around 1600 after tax.
Thanks for this and the above video. I think my car looks better than this case, in general. It is so easy to be paranoid about these issues... but that is the way it is until Tesla ups its QC.

I'm doing front bumper only at Midwest Clear Bra in Plymouth. The total cost will be $400 plus tax. I also purchased a "Quick bandit" front license plat mount to avoid the 3M sticky tape mount.

Thanks for this and the above video. I think my car looks better than this case, in general. It is so easy to be paranoid about these issues... but that is the way it is until Tesla ups its QC.

I'm doing front bumper only at Midwest Clear Bra in Plymouth. The total cost will be $400 plus tax. I also purchased a "Quick bandit" front license plat mount to avoid the 3M sticky tape mount.
How did your delivery go?

I asked @Jeff-4 on the other thread and he said to share more details later.

I logged in my account (web version) this morning and found an alert for an accelerated delivery. It is a MYLR 7-seater and tow for $61,490. I m sticking with mine :)

How did your delivery go?
I just posted a rather long description in the general deliveries forum. Let me try to reproduce it here...
Update:
MYLR Midnight Silver Metallic, 19" Gemini
OD 1/14 1:00pm CST
EDD Originally gave Jan-March
EDD changed to Jan 26 - Feb 23 on 1/18
EDD changed to Feb 3- Feb 17 on 1/27
EDD changed to Feb 12-19 and VIN assigned at 8:30 pm 1/29
EDD changed to Feb 6-15 on 2/4
Text received to schedule delivery: 9:00 am (CST), Sunday, 2/5
Delivery Saturday, 2/11
VIN: PF668xxx

Delivery report:

We showed up at the Tesla dealership at our appointed time. We signed one page of paper for MN registration, then we accepted delivery in the app in order to unlock the car. I must admit that this was both easy and scary at the same time. More on this later.

The gaps and paint were nearly perfect on the car. The interior was very clean. All door gaskets were well aligned. There were 4 miles on the odometer. Mud flaps were installed on front wheels, and PPF was installed in front of rear wheels. The Fremont car came with matrix headlights and a rear cargo area shelf. Upon the drive home and after a few more drives at highway speeds, I could detect no whistles from the windows and no pulling from wheels. All in all, again, everything was nearly perfect.

I am reporting the following issues to Tesla, but even if they were ignored, I would be satisfied. As in my pre-delivery post, the rear wheel trims are slightly out of flush. I was able to look at several other Model Y’s, and most had similar trim alignment. So, I am guessing that mine are within “Tesla spec.” I did find one small scratch in the clear coat behind one rear wheel. It looks shallow enough that I could buff it out myself, but I’ll report it anyway. The charge port door opens but is slightly misaligned. In my opinion, all of these are minor issues. Photos are attached below.

More on the payment-delivery process: Although there are a lot of posts insisting on the use of a Cashier’s check, I simply used the Plaid electronic payment process. It was painless. My logic in this process was:

I. I am entering into this transaction with the desire to actually purchase a Tesla, so the ability to withhold payment if the first car was unacceptable seemed unnecessary. If I rejected the first vehicle, I still wanted to pay for and receive a Tesla.

II. Per the “Tesla” is holding your cash” argument while waiting for the next car, my Cashier’s check would have been issued from a checking account that paid 0.5% interest. Withholding payment for, say, two weeks would cost me about $11.50, which is less than the fees associated with issuing the check in the first place. In fact, I recall the Cashier’s check cost was about $35.00, so I come out ahead on costs even waiting 6 weeks for a replacement vehicle.

In the end, the paranoia about the whole delivery process seems overblown. Sure, Tesla should be doing a better job on quality control, but how many horror stories are there? One in 100? One in 1,000? Even fewer? I don’t mean to minimize those who have had a terrible experience, but are these cases skewing all of our expectations?

I’ll finish with a few comments for Tesla (as if they’d ever listen). The terse, minimalistic approach they have implemented, e.g., using an app to replace human interactions, may make things simple, but it also creates an unhealthy environment of “what will go wrong and how will I be screwed by Tesla?” The demand to “Accept” the car even before it is unlocked is just stupid; it produces high anxiety in the customer (justifiably so, given the QC problems with their cars). Tesla should have a way to put the payment in place but hold off on the actual transaction until the buyer is happy with the car. If so, boom, transaction is enabled and car is delivered. If not satisfied, the car is rejected, the payment is not yet made, and a replacement vehicle is found and delivered.

Sorry for the long post and thank you to forum members for the very valuable information provided. I’m checking out of the order/delivery thread but hope to interact again in the ownership experience threads!
View attachment 906824View attachment 906827View attachment 906825View attachment 906826

I just picked up my car. The car was almost perfect. Gaps were pretty good with only the frunk gap being a little off. Paint had a couple of imperfections like little dips and a couple of dust specs. My wife did drive the car over to the PPF installer and mentioned that there was a slight pull to the left so I logged a service request. Other than that, it was fine.

This was a Fremont build with the matrix lights, mud flaps, rear PPF, and cargo cover.

MYLR
Exterior: Midnight Silver 19" Gemini Wheels, Interior: All black premium
OD: 1/22/2023, finalized order/loan offer confirmation on 1/24/2023 (Took extra time as I didn't receive any updates about my Mercedes trade-in)
Original EDD: Jan-March
1st EDD change (1/28): Mar 19th to Mar 31st
2nd EDD change (2/6): Mar 4th to Mar 31st
3rd EDD change (2/14/2023): Mar 25th to Mar 31st
Vin status: Not assigned

Reactions: scionbox