Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor accident, looking for some advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, someone hit my wife in the Tesla while she was driving today. We've never been in an accident and aren't really sure how it works. We got all their info, took pictures, called the police (who wouldn't take a report because there were no injuries) and started a claim online with our insurance company. The girl who hit her admitted it was her fault and said she was trying to figure out where she was on her phone's GPS when she hit her.

We have Progressive and she has Geico for insurance. I have read it takes a long time to do body repair work...does her insurance pay for that no matter how long it takes? Does anyone know of any rental companies that rent EV's or at least a Volt or something like that?

I'm sure they will try to get us to take it to one of their repair shops, any advice on how to force them to let me take it to a Tesla certified repair shop?

Lastly, our Tesla is leased. Will we have any issues returning the car after it was in an accident? If so, is there anything I can do?

The damage is very minor, it looks like two panels and a rim will need to be replaced.

Thanks again for all your help.

Insist on it going to a Tesla certified shop - you can call Tesla and get a list of places near by, and give them that list.

The parts situation is supposed to be much improved, but my suggestion would be that if the car is still safe to drive, wait for the parts to arrive before taking the car in.

If the at fault driver's insurance will cover it then theres no need to involve your insurance. They will just make everything more complicated. Make sure you get the car repaired at a Tesla authorized shop and you shouldn't have any issues when returning the car

I had a minor accident where the other driver admitted everything and even agreed to make a statement on video that it was his fault.

I called the other driver's insurance company and made a claim against his insurance. I told them that he admitted fault and that seemed to be good enough even though there were no citations issued or police involved. I never needed to show the video or anything.

I took it to the insurance company and they said it was $1000 worth of damage and sent me a check within a few days. I took it to a Tesla approved body shop (you have the right to take your car anywhere you want) and signed over the $1000 check to them. The body shop then worked with the other driver's insurance company to cover everything - which came out to over $4000.

I never contacted my insurance company.

I recommend just dealing with the other insurance company and canceling the claim with your own. Don't take it to a shop that the insurance company wants you to take it to - just take it to a Tesla certified shop. It wasn't your fault and the shop will handle everything for you including a rental.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
So I called my insurance company to feel them out and they said they would have an appraiser come out and whatever he says is the highest amount they will pay. I would have to pay the deductible then I would get that back when they recover the funds from the other person's insurance (Geico). Next I called Tesla for the closest Tesla approved repair shop. Ironically, it was BMW of Rockville, MD. They said insurance companies usually pay out about $45/hr and they charge around $90/hr and I would have to pay the difference if insurance doesn't cover it. My question is, how do I get that from either one of the insurance companies or the other driver? Will I have to sue the other driver to get it?

Any advice would be appreciated. I'll be calling their insurance today. I was in the middle of the chaos in Vegas on Sunday night and I'm still working through things....so I'm a little late getting things done.

I understand I can pick whatever shop I want, but does the insurance company have to pay the rates of the shop I choose? Or do they pay what they think the hourly rate should be and I'm on the hook for the rest?

I have uploaded a few pictures. There are some scratches above and in front of the rear driver's side tire but I think they can be buffed out.

Attachments

• rear driver side rim.jpg
    rear driver side rim.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 86
  • rear drivers side 2.jpg
    rear drivers side 2.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 76
  • rear drivers side.jpg
    rear drivers side.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 72
Since the other party has already admitted fault, it would be less complicated to work directly with the other party's insurance company. However, you may have to submit a claim through your company if the other party's coverage isn't high enough to cover the repairs + rental.

I understand I can pick whatever shop I want, but does the insurance company have to pay the rates of the shop I choose? Or do they pay what they think the hourly rate should be and I'm on the hook for the rest?

I have uploaded a few pictures. There are some scratches above and in front of the rear driver's side tire but I think they can be buffed out.

Generally, insurance companies have the right to pay a certain (i.e. lower) rate for non-structural repairs. Some shops will then ask the customer to pay the difference. This is more common with shops that are newer to the Approved Body Shop program. The way we - and I'm sure many other shops - do it is that we negotiate a rate with the insurance companies. This allows us to accept any and all Teslas without having to go back to the customer to ask for more money.

Can I start with their insurance and bring mine in later if needed?
This is the goal.

I think you might be getting a low-ball estimate for labor from your insurance company ($45/hr vs. $90/hr), but you shouldn't have that issue when going through the guilty-parties insurance.

I've been hit by someone who had Geico. The way it worked for me was that I had to go to a Geico authorized quote center (they have a technical name which I can't remember). They looked at my bumper and went "that'll buff right out, we estimate the damage to be $xxx". They offered to have me to go to a Geico authorized shop. I said hell no. You have the right to take your car wherever you want, remember this. The other insurance company can't force you to take it to a specific shop.

So I took it to a body shop I trusted (this was pre Tesla). They said "it can buff out, but will look like *sugar*. We recommend a new bumper". They took the check from Geico (I signed it over to them) and filed a claim for Geico to pay them about 3x more. Geico did. I got a new bumper.

The whole time the other insurance company (Gieco) paid for my rental.

I didn't need to get my insurance involved at all, since the other party admitted fault (I was rear ended, pretty clear who's at fault). No police report either, as VA requires a certain damage limit or injury to get a report.

• Helpful
Reactions: DC Autocraft
When I spoke to BMW of Rockville yesterday, they said they negotiate a little bit with insurance companies but they can't go any where near the $45 that Geico was offering them for two other Tesla's they currently have in their shop. They said the owners are paying the difference. Should I find a different Tesla approved body shop that might be more willing to negotiate with Geico?

When I spoke to BMW of Rockville yesterday, they said they negotiate a little bit with insurance companies but they can't go any where near the $45 that Geico was offering them for two other Tesla's they currently have in their shop. They said the owners are paying the difference. Should I find a different Tesla approved body shop that might be more willing to negotiate with Geico?

No, stick to your guns and tell geico (sooo glad I dumped them) this is the shop you want your repairs at.

You got the $45/hr number from your insurance company. BMW of Rockville got that number from other people they're working with.

You were not at fault, you're not using your insurance company to pay the damages, you're using someone elses. That insurance company (Geico, in this case) should pay in full.

Reactions: GaryW

That looks like it can just be rubbed out.