Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor Accident Repair Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately yesterday somebody backed into my passenger side whilst my car was parked.

There are small dents in the rear and passenger door but paint seems ok. The panels are slightly out of alignment also as you can see in the photos. The other party left a message and accepts blame (also have sentry of her backing into it). They want me to get a private quote first.

I've just changed to Direct Line a few weeks ago and I spoke to them today. Although they promoted by Tesla for insurance, their DLG Auto Service repair shop doesn't look to be Tesla Approved. Reviews look good.

The nearest Tesla Approved Bodyshop is Alton Cars Ltd but they aren't approved by Direct Line. I know online reviews aren't everything but some of the wait times mentioned for parts is horrific and I don't want a petrol courtesy car for longer than I need.

Pretty sure I'll end up going through insurance but not sure which bodyshop to take it to for such minor damage? Seems off DLG aren't an approved bodyshop considering Direct Line own them and Direct Line are promoted by Tesla!

Help!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0347.JPG
    DSCF0347.JPG
    697 KB · Views: 113
Well.. if you're going through insurance they'll want tesla approved and expect 4 figure sums for repair (hope your excess isn't anything like mine!).

OTOH I had a local body shop do a caved door on my old car for £300 and it was a perfect job..

Normally I'd say your choice but if you've already involved insurance I suspect your hands are tied at this point..

Thanks, I've just given direct line details but not taken it any further. Issue is, it seems, if I use their bodyshop it isn't an approved one. Tempted to try a smart Dent repair but as 3rd party are liable it'll make no odds to me if I go through insurance and get it done the expensive 'proper' way...

Personally I've not been impressed with smart repairs.. proper body shops are much better. I'm lucky though as the local one really loves his job and keeps his prices low. If you haven't got one like that it's a harder choice.

If you're going through insurance insist on going through an approved body shop - DL can't make you use theirs. It's the other guy's insurance that's paying for it anyway (your premiums will go up but that's just the way insurance works).

Personally I've not been impressed with smart repairs.. proper body shops are much better. I'm lucky though as the local one really loves his job and keeps his prices low. If you haven't got one like that it's a harder choice.

If you're going through insurance insist on going through an approved body shop - DL can't make you use theirs. It's the other guy's insurance that's paying for it anyway (your premiums will go up but that's just the way insurance works).

A properly done smart repair is the way forward specially if the paint isn't damaged. Just like man, they are not all made equally...

Most body shops are great but at times a bit haste to slap a bit of filler in short of replacing the whole door in this case.

Have a look at this guy....he is impressive...

Reactions: Landwomble
I'll second @Js1977 opinions. Paintless dent repair, if available for your dent,. will be MUCH better as you will not be dealing with resprays and all the hassle of paint matching and finish matching. It will likely be WAY less too. I would get quotes from a few and see if the PDR ones have any sort of guarantee. Just explain the situation to them and you want it to be perfect. They will let you know if they can do it perfectly or not.