Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ormond

Endless Peacock
Jul 10, 2016
Central Florida
I just recently had a minor accident in a parking lot. I've been to the Tesla authorized body shop in my region. I'll need a new front bumper cover and some chrome pieces. The total estimate is about $3,600. I'm told the bumper arrives "raw," and has to be primed and painted. The fenders are undamaged. However, the shop wants to paint my two front fenders too. Does this make sense? The guy at the shop says it has to blend to match the bumper. Thoughts?

I turned it in to my insurance company. I'd hate to have my fenders painted if it's not necessary.

The part about the raw plastic bumper is correct. It needs to be sealed and primed. However, the fenders only need to be blended when replacing the hood or if the hood has damage that is being repaired within 6-12” of the adjacent fender. There are a lot of variables here and it's tough to offer a definitive answer without seeing the car in person, but this does seem excessive for a bumper replacement.

What color is the car? Pearl white is harder to match, but should still be possible.

Please be aware a plastic bumper will always have a 10-15% variance in color to the aluminum adjacent panels.

Reactions: Ormond
Don't paint the fenders. It is better to have a slight mismatch on the plastic parts and use the break between the bumper and the fenders to hide it. Paint the fenders and now you have to worry about matching the doors, which in my experience they will never do correctly.

Reactions: Ormond