Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor auto body repair by local body shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rust my local body shop more Than I would trust one in Charlotte or Raleigh. My former Model S had a dent ion the rear and the hood. You could not tell they had been repaired. I also had a mirror replaced, They ordered it from Tesla and it was a week getting it. My model X had damage to the front around the fog light. They ordered a new face and it took about 2 weeks for that. Still drove both while waiting for parts.

The Tesla body is aluminum. Most body shops won’t have the equipment or know-how to work on it.

Depending on your definition of “minor” there could be a lot of tape and sensors or other parts that are damaged. And I think Tesla won’t sell replacement parts to non-approved shops.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
FYI - if you were not aware, you can check for 3rd party body shops in the Tesla Approved Body Shop Network via the web at Body Shop Support
The Houston SCs are not set up for body work yet. They referred me to that link. I’m getting a small fender dent fixed at one of the approved shops. Even though it’s a pretty small shop, there was a Model S in at the same time for some work.

• Helpful
The Houston SCs are not set up for body work yet. They referred me to that link. I’m getting a small fender dent fixed at one of the approved shops. Even though it’s a pretty small shop, there was a Model S in at the same time for some work.

When did you speak to the service center? The mobile tech last week (16Jan) mentioned the North SC body shop was open if I wanted to have a door ding on my passenger side looked at.

When did you speak to the service center? The mobile tech last week (16Jan) mentioned the North SC body shop was open if I wanted to have a door ding on my passenger side looked at.
That’s interesting. I first did a self-service appointment (using the app) with the Westchase SC (that would have been a little closer for me). They responded that they were not set up for body work, so they forwarded my appointment to the North SC. I then got this e-mail December 27 from the "Mid-South Internal Service Advisor" in Fremont:

"I am contacting you in regards to the self-scheduled appointment you made online in regards to the body work and wheel repair. The dent and chip will need to be repaired at a Tesla Approved Body Shop. You can find a body shop if you click on the following link:

Body Shop Support

These body shops may be able to repair your wheels as well but otherwise, a 3rd party wheel repair shop will be able to repair the wheel depending on how bad the damages are. If the wheel would need to be replaced, a replacement wheel would be $650 at Tesla.

Tesla does not do body or wheel repair as of yet so I will go ahead and cancel the appointment. If you have any other question, feel free to respond to this email or give us a call..."

The damage was a small fender dent and a scraped rim.

EB70D021-1627-4FC4-8EBC-9E75A198308B.jpeg 3BC09E04-2202-4019-A221-DCF7BE0DE85B.jpeg

Last edited: