Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor Dings in Rear Bumper Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While parked at a Tesla Supercharger which is located in a parking garage, my car rolled slowly into the charging stand. Caused 2 small dings in the rear bumper. Evidently, paintless ding removal is not possible since the bumper is made out of plastic! Only metal parts are able to be treated with paintless dent removal.
I asked a couple of local body shops about the possible repairs; apparently they will have to repair and repaint the entire rear bumper. I have no idea how much it's going to cost to repair.
Anyone experience a similar rear bumper issue?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    854.9 KB · Views: 1,249
Last edited:
While parked at a Tesla Supercharger which is located in a parking garage, my car rolled slowly into the charging stand. Caused 2 small dings in the rear bumper. Evidently, paintless ding removal is not possible since the bumper is made out of plastic! Only metal parts are able to be treated with paintless dent removal.
I asked a couple of local body shops about the possible repairs; apparently they will have to repair and repaint the entire rear bumper. I have no idea how much it's going to cost to repair.
Anyone experience a similar rear bumper issue?

To fix that bumper properly, assuming the little dimples can be filled, short of bodywork and repaint, there's nothing else that can be done.

Sorry to see that...but, a good body shop will make it look like it never happened. Do some homework of shops around you, go into the perspective shops to check for cleanliness and examples of work, and get it fixed. Good luck.

Unless you really want that gone, you might want to live with it. I have a small dimple (and paint scratch) where someone must have bumped me when parallel parking. It's noticeable but not obvious. There's no way I'm paying for a full repaint since it's almost certainly going to happen again in the next 12 months. When it get's a few more dings I'll have it done. Your level of damage acceptance may vary, of course :smile:

Search Yelp in your area for bumper repair (Bumper Medic, Bumper Doc). There are some companies that can do a pretty good job making it look 98% better, probably for under $500. If it will bug you, have the bumper cover replaced, but that will probably run over $1000.

I had a couple dings from my garage door hardware hitting the bumper when I didn't pull in enough :( Took it to a body shop where they filled the dings and repainted the whole bumper...looks good as new but cost me $500