TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Minor exterior design quibble: "orphaned" front door window glass

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by gg_got_a_tesla, Mar 21, 2012.

1. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

As you can see from these pics (thanks again, Russ!) of the white and the red betas with their front doors open and the 'frameless' glass lowered, there's this little piece of 'orphaned' - as I call it - glass up front:

red_with_door_open.JPG white_with_door_open.JPG

Given the size of the front doors, I guess the frameless glass cannot go all the way to the end unlike in the case of the Mini:

mini_08clubman_doorsopen.jpg

Instead, would it be better to make it solid in some form - either in body color (as was the case with the original white roller Model S proto where it served as the anchor for the mirrors) or in black (as seems to be the case with the current Camaro)?

tesla_white_roller.jpg 12_ch_camaro_gal_int_12.jpg

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That glass saves lives.

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Or take them if someone were to impale themselves on that little sharp-looking triangle! :)

4. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

That glass corner struck me as odd, too, when I saw it in person. I'm sure that something was needed because there was no place into which it could retract. The choice of glass, I suspect, was because the piece was so large that blacking it out just seemed odder than having a little glass triangle, which at least provides more light and visibility.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Toyota does the same thing. The Prius owner's manual indicates that you can break that window if you lock yourself out because it's the cheapest to replace. There's no way it could save lives because you can't see out the driver's side one and the passenger's side would only show something if it was right next to the car.

6. Majerus

Majerus Member

I think it looks better as a piece of glass rather then being blacked out.

7. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I agree. It's also better than other vehicle solutions where the A Pillar angles downward and thickens to replace where the glass would be.

8. goyogi

goyogi Member

Maybe this is Tesla's sneaky way of slowly reintroducing old ideas. Vent windows! And the lack of center console allows for a bench seat! Notice the 3rd row seats face backwards? Just like my dad's old station wagon. ;)

9. William13

William13 Member

I like the Retro Modern look. Reminds me of 1960s Cadillac vents.

Really either choice seems fine.

10. Majerus

Majerus Member

It would be awesome if they did some how have vent windows. :D