Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor issues I noticed today after taking delivery of a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally took delivery today and was rushed out in less than 10 minutes.

While I was still parking in front of the service center, I did a quick check up and found two issues which I've never seen before.

1. Driver side mirror dome not aligned.Passenger side is OK. Service center is still checking if they can fix it. See picture below.
IMG_8420.jpg
IMG_8419.jpg

2. Steel wheel material looks like cracked. I don't know if this is normal or defective? Can someone advise?
IMG_8422.jpg

Nonissue but worth mentioning.
Door/window seal looks odd. As long as it doesn't leak, I think I am fine with it.
IMG_8426.jpg IMG_8425.jpg IMG_8424.jpg

I also noticed that doors are extremely difficult to close. I almost always had to close them one more time with much stronger force.

That frunk closing method is a joke. My IDA showed me the way to gently close it and suggested that it may be dented if doing it wrong. Seriously?

So I finally took delivery today and was rushed out in less than 10 minutes.

While I was still parking in front of the service center, I did a quick check up and found two issues which I've never seen before.

1. Driver side mirror dome not aligned.Passenger side is OK. Service center is still checking if they can fix it. See picture below.
View attachment 319891View attachment 319892

2. Steel wheel material looks like cracked. I don't know if this is normal or defective? Can someone advise?
View attachment 319890

Nonissue but worth mentioning.
Door/window seal looks odd. As long as it doesn't leak, I think I am fine with it.
View attachment 319887 View attachment 319888 View attachment 319889

I also noticed that doors are extremely difficult to close. I almost always had to close them one more time with much stronger force.

That frunk closing method is a joke. My IDA showed me the way to gently close it and suggested that it may be dented if doing it wrong. Seriously?

The door issue is something that I am facing as well and it impacts only the rear doors. They having tried fixing it but no luck yet. A firm push for me typically gets it closed.

My bigger issue is the hood alignment with fenders and a slightly sunken hood which they claim is because the cars are "hand built". Took it in for a couple of services but they are saying they cannot fix it. No idea what to do next.

The door issue is something that I am facing as well and it impacts only the rear doors. They having tried fixing it but no luck yet. A firm push for me typically gets it closed.

My bigger issue is the hood alignment with fenders and a slightly sunken hood which they claim is because the cars are "hand built". Took it in for a couple of services but they are saying they cannot fix it. No idea what to do next.
The hood stops can be unscrewed a bit to raise the hood. Don't do it too much or it can make the hood hard to close.

Are you referring to the frunk lid? You will find two knobs which can be adjusted to make it even when closed. I looked at mine, the two knobs are set on different level so I get an even surface.

Are you referring to the frunk lid? You will find two knobs which can be adjusted to make it even when closed. I looked at mine, the two knobs are set on different level so I get an even surface.

Yep, looked at those but the issue is with the curvature of the hood which does not match fender and the fender and the fender and bumper are not flush. Attaching a few pics

IMG_1318.jpg IMG_1317.jpg IMG_1316.jpg IMG_1313.jpg IMG_1312.jpg IMG_1311.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire

Kind of makes you NOT want to get one of the Model 3s madly produced in the final week of June! (or at 3 a.m. on July 1st!!)

Reactions: T-Will
Kind of makes you NOT want to get one of the Model 3s madly produced in the final week of June! (or at 3 a.m. on July 1st!!)

Very true, I took delivery on 6/21 so my car was probably produced sometime in late May before the big push. I wonder if the issues will be resolved with cars produced at high volume or will it get worse.

BTW, any thoughts on next steps. Should I pay my service center one more visit and ask them to give it one last shot? I personally think if someone as OCD as me would spend time doing it they can get it done but I don't think they are spending enough time on these. Any one have luck getting such issues addressed?

...BTW, any thoughts on next steps. Should I pay my service center one more visit and ask them to give it one last shot? I personally think if someone as OCD as me would spend time doing it they can get it done but I don't think they are spending enough time on these. Any one have luck getting such issues addressed?

1. I am totally unfamiliar with Tesla service - I don't even have a VIN yet -so no idea. What I do note, is that the P3D used in the new Motor Trend review seemed to have the same issue as @BezosBlue had with their side mirror:

upload_2018-7-25_0-11-10.png

Yup fit and finish is definitely an issue. I found a bunch of issues after I took the car home and have raised with the service centre via email and so far they seem to be willing to fix them.
  • Paint bubble on trunk lid - Going to be repainted
  • Lower trunk liner is all crumpled - not sure what will be done, expect they will replace.
  • Battery cover behind the frunk has a broken tab - being replaced
  • on door sill between the Driver and rear passenger door there are 2 deep scratches where there is exposed metal
  • gear shift bezel is separating. - replace it maybe (quite common)
  • One of the wheels as a scratch on it - not sure if they will fix it
  • Front Passenger a pillar has a wrinkle in it.
this is what I have found after my first wash and wax.

1. I am totally unfamiliar with Tesla service - I don't even have a VIN yet -so no idea. What I do note, is that the P3D used in the new Motor Trend review seemed to have the same issue as @BezosBlue had with their side mirror:
View attachment 320013
Nice find. I checked other Model 3s while I'm in the delivery center and another one today when I took it to do some detailing. Those mirrors are just fine. My detailer did say that it might be some hook not in place, they will try to fix it. If not, I think Tesla would cover it.

While I was at the service center I looked at some other model 3's as well. Of the 5 or 6 I looked at 3 of them had some issue with frunk alignment (not as bad as mine). My challenge is that after a couple of service visits some alignment became worse while some of it improved. I am debating if I should go in again as I don't know what the end result would be.

The difficult to close doors was a problem early in production, that Tesla had fixed in later production (after VIN 5000+ maybe?), so it's concerning that it's occurring again. And I still don't get how they haven't fixed the frunk flushness consistency, maybe aluminum is difficult to work with? The mirrors is a new issue I hadn't heard about before.

The difficult to close doors was a problem early in production, that Tesla had fixed in later production (after VIN 5000+ maybe?), so it's concerning that it's occurring again. And I still don't get how they haven't fixed the frunk flushness consistency, maybe aluminum is difficult to work with? The mirrors is a new issue I hadn't heard about before.
I was in a shop for detailing and was able to try out different Model 3s. It turns out the front doors are easier to close than the rear doors.
We did a test with same force. Front doors can be closed properly but rear doors need extra force.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will