Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MInor mishap today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a scary event today. While pulling into a parking space, my foot slipped off the the brake and hit the accererator. The car lurched over the concrete parking barrier and hit a small bush. No body damage but the front driver's side inner fender liner pulled out. I was able to put it back in but a couple of the connectors are broken so it may not stay. I have a service appointment in 6 days and will call the SC Monday to see if they can fix this. I noted that there are what appear to be AC lines beneath that liner. Does anyone know if it would cause any damage to drive without the liner until I can get it in to service?

This was rather embarrassing to say the least. I felt like the 85 year old who hit the accelerator by accident and drove into something. I was surprise at how a relatively light tap on the pedal caused a big lurch.

We purposely set our 85D to 'creep' mode that simulates an ICE with automatic transmission. Parking is easier and safer as most of it can be done with brake pressure modulation only.

Having your shoe slip off the pedal is different and probably cannot be mitigated with technology.

Hopefully it will only happen once.

Certainly this will reinforce the need to pay full attention to all aspects of driving. The only way this could have happened is that I misplaced my foot on the edge of the brake pedal.

Does anyone know the answe to my question? I am a bit concerned about driving with the presumed AC lines exposed should the liner not stay in place. P

Those plastics connectors are the standard way to attach a lot of plastic parts today. If you are worried about the liner staying in, you can always pick some up at Pep Boys or your local auto parts store and pop a few in. If you have one of the broken ones with you, that would help as they come in different sizes.

If you have an appointment coming soon to fix the fender liner just find some way to tie up the loose edge so that it doesn't fall onto the tire at speed. Perhaps some tie wraps or light wire will do even if you have to make a couple of small holes for a loop to pass through. Plastic rivets may not work if the hole in the liner is torn or enlarged. The amount of damage will determine the fix required.

The slight risk is that the liner gets totally ripped out and causes further damage. On the other hand, it is tough material. We had a car suffer tread separation of a tire and the flapping outer tread at highway speed severely damaged the liner but it stayed in place.

You would be amazed at how flimsy most of the connections behind the bumper bar are, including the radiator connections. Having pulled 3 bumper bars off, I am talking from personal experience. Explains why after a relatively minor bingle you get heaps of parts strewn all over the road. My 3 bumper bars were on two TESLA's. If there are no warnings, don't worry about it unless there is a danger of the liner coming free and impacting the wheel. I damaged the main radiator during one of my delving behind the bumper ( while installing a light bar), cooling fluid came out, and there was an instant warning on the dash.

Update: Tesla service could not repair and referred me to authorized body shop. The liner, core support and lower fascia were damaged. Estimate for repairs $2800. Expensive lesson in proper driving technique but could have been worse. Went back to the scene and realized I missed hitting a tree by about 2 feet. Waiting on parts now but the car is drivable with no obvious damage to the casual observer.

• Informative
Reactions: renshcp and ModelX