TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Minor Modification

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by DrComputer, Nov 22, 2012.

1. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

I did a minor modification today. Here are the before and after pics. Can you tell what I did? It's very subtle.

Attached Files:

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

#2 Discoducky, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    On a quick look it seems like the "T" is black on the wheels. But I'm still looking.

3. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

The T looks good! Would like to see the blacked out chrome stein to match now ;)

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Nice idea, but I plan to take it one step further: Tape over the T, paint the whole cap in Tesla red, remove the tape, and end up with T logo in silver on a Tesla red background, just like on the Tesla Motors web site and this one. Would be even more striking and boost the brand even more.

5. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

Los Gatos/Santa Cruz Mountains/Silicon Valley, CA
    I like the change. How did you do it / what did you use?

Cheers.

6. Orthonos

Orthonos Member

Looks great. I second the question of how you did it :)

7. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

You guys figured it out. It's actually not black but Signature Red to match the car. When I was at the LA service center yesterday getting my StarShield on my hood replaced I was talking to the guys over there to see if they had any touch up paint. They said that there happened to be a Signature Red car at the body shop down the street getting painted to do a minor accident. They called the shop for me and got a small bottle of paint for me to try coloring in the wheel caps. Here's a close up shot. Not perfect but it looks fine from a few feet away. 2012-11-22 07.54.32.jpg

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Noooooooo!! Well, I guess it was bound to happen. I wonder when we'll start seeing pics of wrecked Model S's? :scared:

9. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

Los Gatos/Santa Cruz Mountains/Silicon Valley, CA
    Is it easy to remove the badge cap on the wheel? I don't know what the real name is for that part of the wheel you had to pop off with the Tesla emblem on it.

I had was thinking of doing it with black-out chrome spray to highlight the Tesla badge on the wheels in the same way--just the emblem, nothing else. I'd have to mask the rest of it with frisket or something to do that though.

Either way, nice job.

Cheers

10. Xfrank

Xfrank Well-Known Member

Sorry,
    nice idea, very nice car and nice picture...bad paint job!:tongue:

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Sorry to hear you voided your warranty, DrComputer. :rolleyes:

12. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Nice idea. Wish they came that way from the factory with a nice powdercoating, enamel or ceramic finish, though.

13. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

How would masking the Tesla T work, painting it and using a sealant compare?

Sent via Tapatalk.