Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor Paint Issues turned Major

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck, man. I've had Tesla's go sideways (not literally) after going to the body shop. Not fun. I'd ask for comp... Did you get FSD? I'd ask for it if not. You didn't ask for a new car that needs a complete paint job... Or have them replace it. They will, you might just have to file an arbitration case first before they will offer to buy back instead of going through with the arb case. Hopefully it comes back looking like new and you are happy. I'd go over it with a fine toothed comb with you get it back. A LOT of the car comes apart for a full repaint.

Reactions: Johnii__82
Took delivery of my AWD LR Multi-cost Red Model 3 on September 21. At delivery I noticed 4 minor paint issues and they were noted on a due bill. Fast forward to last week, I dropped the car off to the Tesla approved body shop for paint repairs.

This Tuesday I was told the car was done and went to pick it up. They informed me they had to repaint the front and rear bumpers. And when inspecting the car I notice a huge difference in both the color and metallic/pearl layer between the bumper and other panels. I voiced my displeasure and to the body shops credit they agreed to look into why it’s not matching and have it redone.

Today I got a call requesting that I come down to the body shop to talk options. Long story short when examining the car with the body shop manager, paint manager and service manager from Tesla it was determined the car needed to be completely repainted. Basically the factory base layer was painted to inconsistent and even within each panel there is a huge difference from one area to another. When I looked at the car again it was clear that some areas were closer to pink then red because of not having enough paint (I wish I had paid more attention when I first picked up the car).

So now I’m without the car for a minimum of 3 more weeks. And I’m furious. I stopped by Tesla after meeting with the body shop and voiced my displeasure. Basically told them I want a new car or compensated for the time and hassle of not having this one. The delivery manager I set with wasn’t that helpful, but I did convince him to escalate it up to the regional manager.

what does everyone think I should do for next steps? Keep on top of the delivery manager? Can I escalate it myself to corporate? Think it’s even worth keeping this car, or should I insist on a new one?

I would keep harassing them until you're satisfied. I took delivery of a black LR RWD back in March, and the paint was terrible. The weather was crap for awhile (PNW) after delivery, so I didn't realize how bad it was until I was outside the window where Tesla would do something. I wound up just getting a heavy detailing/paint correction, which is annoying. Great car, but I shouldn't have accepted this in hindsight.

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
Any idea of what I should shoot for to get out of Tesla for this? Once it's all said and done my car will have been in the body shop for almost, if not over, 30 days. Have a good friend who's Model 3 was in the shop for 45 days last year for a couple issues and they ended up giving him a set of wheels and winter tires.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rachmaninov
A friend of mine, who owns a body shop in Sacramento, said the change to the new environment friendly paint happened around 2016 ish..This was according to him, but I don't have any reason to doubt him....

Actually the paint formulas started changing in 2008. I have a red G8 and the paint was soft. That’s the biggest issue, some colors are more susceptible then others. Time curing, overall environment along with the low VOC’s really impact the end results.

You are better off letting them paint the whole car. I wouldn’t let them do a partial, even the best body shops can’t prevent or predict the color or clear coat change/fade over time.

Any idea of what I should shoot for to get out of Tesla for this? Once it's all said and done my car will have been in the body shop for almost, if not over, 30 days. Have a good friend who's Model 3 was in the shop for 45 days last year for a couple issues and they ended up giving him a set of wheels and winter tires.

A new car if it was me... Just ask them. If they decline, just fill out https://www.ncdsusa.org/documents/Tesla Customer Claim Form.pdf and check the replacement box. Pretty sure an arbitrator will agree that a customer shouldn't have to keep a new car that required a full repaint.

Reactions: Johnii__82
Never accept a car from Tesla that requires any visit to the service center or body shop for repairs. What seems like a trivial matter will frequently turn into a major source of aggravation. You take the car in to fix one thing and Tesla breaks two more things in the process. So you rinse and repeat and keep going back chasing all the bugs and blemishes in the car that need repairs. Eventually they will get it right but you will waste far more time than you care to spend fixing this stuff.

Just reject the car and wait for another one. Period.
This is good advice, but might put you in a pickle if you have to take delivery before EOY for the tax credit.

This is good advice, but might put you in a pickle if you have to take delivery before EOY for the tax credit.

That was me last year. Took delivery first week of December and the VIN assigned to me had lots of paint flaws and a frunk alignment issue. Thought about not accepting delivery, but was afraid I wouldn't get a Blue Performance with White interior replacement before 12/31/19 for the full tax credit. Eventually worked out, but took 2.5 months for the Tesla Approved body shop appointment. Paint match was perfect and the frunk is aligned now as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: FutureShock
UPDATE:

Today is day 28 the car is in the body shop. A buddy of mine was in the area and from my Tesla app I could see the car was parked outside so I had him drive by to see what he could see (image attached). It's obviously going to be well over 30 days total when it's finished.

Was battling with Tesla about some kind of compensation up until about a week and a half ago then dropped it figuring I'll wait until the 30 day point hits. Now that it's approaching and Lemon law kicks in I'll be ramping up my calls and emails, especially since before I never got past the local delivery manager. Wish me luck...

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 174
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
UPDATE:

Today is day 28 the car is in the body shop. A buddy of mine was in the area and from my Tesla app I could see the car was parked outside so I had him drive by to see what he could see (image attached). It's obviously going to be well over 30 days total when it's finished.

Was battling with Tesla about some kind of compensation up until about a week and a half ago then dropped it figuring I'll wait until the 30 day point hits. Now that it's approaching and Lemon law kicks in I'll be ramping up my calls and emails, especially since before I never got past the local delivery manager. Wish me luck...

It isn't 30 consecutive days. It's 30 days total! Hasn't your car been at Tesla shop before?

30 days for a obvious defect like yours will not be easily defended in a lemon law complaint like yours. Use your leverage. I

Former paint and body guy who did high end restorations (Ferraris Porsche ...)

Painting is a process. Tesla, for whatever reason, has not invested in that process. Not properly covering the body isn't a result of the California code or the EPA. It just takes time to ensure the body is clean and ready to accept paint, then a little more time to ensure parts are getting even coverage and a little more time to have somebody on the back end to check the stuff before it gets sent out the door. As others have noted, other manufacturers do it without any problem. Some manufacturers like Acura are unbelievably great.

My pure guess is that finish remains a low priority for the company as long as incredible demand for the product remains. Basically Tesla is calling us putzs and we are saying, yah. My car has terrible paint, but the car itself is so good that even I let it pass. My plan is to enjoy it for a few years, buy a Y and then pull this thing completely apart and rebuild it.

Yeah, it sucks that such a stunning design is being finished like a pre-school craft project. You can bet your ass that anything Elon drives is not painted like our cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna