TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Minor quarter panel dent.. what's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by HankLloydRight, Feb 21, 2017.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I just took my new P85D in for annual service, and they noticed some slight damage I didn't see before I bought the car.

The photos make it look a little worse than it really is. I drove the car a few times and never noticed it. You kinda have to look for it.

But what do you think it might cost to repair? I'm hoping it's not a "new quarter panel" type deal. Also, would a non-Tesla shop (with aluminum experience) be an option since it's pretty minor?

upload_2017-2-21_11-53-51.png

upload_2017-2-21_11-54-15.png

2. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Those look to be more than just clear coat scratches, but if they are not as bad as the pictures, they possibly could be just in the clear coat. If so, here's a DIY video on how to remove the scratches:

• Love x 1
  3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

If you look again, there is a decent sized dent in the metal, as well as the scratches.

4. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

A PDR guy can get that dent-out. I would see if you can remove the scratches first still.

5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

The dent looks pretty sizeable, and because its on the edge of a panel it may be difficult to remove by a paintless dent removal place. looks like it probably needs to be repainted though anyway. A good shop should be able to reform the metal, and with a little bondo make it look perfect.
    A tesla Authorized shop will probably just want to replace the panel at $15k.

6. Kenriko

Kenriko Member

Wow. How did that make it past the CPO process!

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Wasn't CPO.. private sale. My error in not seeing it.

8. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

I would start with the PDR and see what they say. If you really don't notice it, I would not spend too much to get it fixed. Removing the scratches may make it even less noticeable.

9. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

A good detail shop may be able to completely get rid of the scratches or at least make them a lot less noticeable.

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Followup! I just got this fixed for $700 from a local, trusted (shhh.. non-Tesla certified) body shop. Even close up, you can't see where they repainted and transitioned into the existing paint. At first, they wanted to do the entire quarter panel, but I asked them to just try and feather the clearcoat into the existing paint, and it came out perfect.

upload_2017-8-1_16-12-4.png

upload_2017-8-1_16-11-46.png

upload_2017-8-1_16-11-54.png

• Like x 2