Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor rattling/creaking on acceleration/braking? (NOT shudder)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See video Streamable - free video publishing

A bit hard to hear but it's the "rocking chair" creak in the background. Happens mainly on acceleration from lower speeds or stopped, or braking from any speeds.

Hard to tell where it's coming from other than "the front of the car."

This is not the infamous shudder. I know what acceleration shudder is as I had it on my P100D before swapping for the X. This isn't that.

2020 Model X P100D.

Any ideas?

I think I hear two noises? One is the interval "creaking" about every 1.5 seconds and the other is a rattle around the 10 second mark.

The rattle at around 10-12 seconds I believe was hitting a bump and my phone banging or similar. The interval creaking is the one I'm wondering about. That happens on braking and acceleration. I can't pinpoint the sound.

We have a creaking sound in our 2020 MX. It occurs when accelerating or decelerating and seems to be along the edge of the dash where it meets the windshield or A-pillar. Seems to be associated with the body flexing.

Reactions: cdf3
+1 on all these and more.

2020 LR Plus.

Creaking appears on acceleration and deceleration and when turning across camber (e.g. driveways, on and off pavement). Very pronounced whenever there’s body flex involved.

Car was completely silent until 4,000 miles and is now frustratingly always creaking. The creaking Initially presented on front right hand side, has now additionally progressed to front left hand side, seems to come from front dash against A pillar, but also presents inside A pillar and sometimes the door panels. I’ve even speculated it could be the windshield to body connection.

As an added bonus I had the whole family on the car last weekend (5 adult passengers in 6 seater) and there’s now a more pronounced creaking from the rear floor area as well as the front upon cambered turns involving body flex, and even highway “sharp” lane changes that involve body flex.

Took it into service center, they had it for 2 days and (supposedly) after 4 test drives “no fault found”. Due to COVID they could not test with me in the car to prove it.

The sound is so prevalent on body flexing I’m suspecting a frame issue vs. a trim issue. Eagerly awaiting resolution on this!

• Informative
Reactions: rocketdallas
Hey @Josephponline, did you ever get a resolution on this. I had a flex sound creaking issue that sounded like it was coming from the passenger side dash. Basically if the acceleration or deceleration was enough of a change in motion you would hear it. In my case this was fixed right before COVID. I drove with a tech in the car and showed them. In my case the problem was a manufacturing defect with the adhesive that is used as part of the fasteners in the right portion of the frame near the A pillar. They had to send the car to a nearby Tesla body shop to basically remove that section and reattach. It wasn’t a safety issue or anything just that it allowed to much give which created pressure and movement on the dash components leading to the creaking noise throughout the cabin. It has not been a problem sense.

@n1h1 … no, never got a resolution personally. I had wanted to get into a performance X anyway, and took it as an extra excuse to trade it back to Tesla for the performance X.

Any chance you could PM me what the body shop actually did? My new MX has started creaking in the same area after 15,000 miles, and I have to take the car into a body shop for some non related dent repair, and would like to get the creak taken care of at the same time.

Any chance you could PM me what the body shop actually did? My new MX has started creaking in the same area after 15,000 miles, and I have to take the car into a body shop for some non related dent repair, and would like to get the creak taken care of at the same time.
Sure, but I don’t have a ton more details since Tesla coordinated the whole thing. I just have what they told me.

For anyone following this particular thread. I finally got my Tesla Model X 2020 booked into the White Plains center in NY and I was so impressed with the center, the technicians, and the outcome.

So I had 3 noises present for the last 6 months:

1. The right pillar creak (discussed in this thread)
2. A rustling/cracking on drivers left pillar/window side
3. A metallic clicking sound from what seems like underneath the car upon acceleration or deceleration (ad hoc)

Extract of Technicians Report with edits:

RE: 1. Verified customer concerns with customer. Found pinch weld in front passenger side footwell area causing creaking noise. Performed pinch weld adjustment and applied body sealer. Performed validation test drive and noise is no longer present.

RE: 2. Found noise in front driver side window sounding like a slight squeak. Performed door seal adjustment and applied seal treatment. Verified noise is no longer present.

RE: 3. Verified clicking noise in front of car with customer. Found that noise is due to axle click on front axles. Cleaned and lubricated front axle splines. Torqued axle nuts and lug nuts on all wheels. Performed final validation test drive and verified all concerns no longer present.

Reactions: towndrunk