Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor rear end damage to my baby...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

im4uttx

Supporting Member
May 28, 2019
Spicewood, TX
Well, it happened in a strange way...waiting to exit a parking lot with a steep drive, apparently the F150 didn't look down before attempting to depart...damage could have been much worse, but I feel just horrible.

Now I have to get it fixed, so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, not so much on an Austin area repair, but what things to watch out for from whomever does the repair...

The trunk still opens, but the left doesn't release completely, so I have to lift it off the latch. The trunk/left rear qtr panel show slight mis-alignment, and both have ever so slight paint chip/cracks showing. Tail light has slight crack, that I just noticed in the picture...

Should I take it to the Tesla SC? I'm not going to leave it there, or anywhere, until the work is set to start (I hope)...

Thoughts and suggestions welcome... :(

Attachments

• 20190804_151915.jpg
    20190804_151915.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 103
Ouch. I’m so sorry to hear this, though I am glad you’re okay and it could have been much worse.

That being said, I would contact your local SC and inquire about the best Tesla-approved body shop in your area. It’s important to get an assessment and find out the parts that must be replaced. Given the lead time on Roadster body panels, your best bet is to order them used on eBay or from other owners. A talented body shop can repair, repaint, and reinstall a used body panel and make it look brand new. It’s a lot quicker than waiting to source the parts...IF they’re available.

If you can’t find one in Austin, there’s a fantastic body shop up here in Dallas.

Keep us updated!

Reactions: Marius and im4uttx
When my '16 S 90D was delivered it had several scratches on the hood that were not disclosed to me when purchasing it. The Austin SC fixed it for free. They had me go to the Heritage Body shop just a block or so down from the SC on Pond Springs. Heritage did a BEAUTIFUL job repairing the scratches and cleaned the car better than when Tesla delivered it to me. They are one of the authorized Tesla repair shops in Austin and I'd highly recommend them.

I emailed the SC to get an appointment...need a couple other things looked at...definitely will keep this thread updated...thx for the pointers.

I don't think the panels will need replaced. Looked at it again, and it PROBABLY just needs adjusted...then some detail paint work, I hope.

The cracked tail light might be another issue....cracked, not broken out missing pieces...

I had a minor read-end accident last year; idiots in big trucks like to bump into me for some reason. I had it repaired at Autocraft Bodywerks in Austin (Autocraft Bodywerks), which has been a Tesla certified body for many years. It took a long time to get the bumper because Tesla had run out of stock. Autocraft Bodywerks called Tesla parts once or twice a week to keep the pressure up. They also gave me weekly status updates of what was going on (i.e. waiting on Tesla). Eventually, Tesla got the company in the Netherlands that originally made the Roadster bumpers to manufacture some more.

I had a minor read-end accident last year; idiots in big trucks like to bump into me for some reason. I had it repaired at Autocraft Bodywerks in Austin (Autocraft Bodywerks), which has been a Tesla certified body for many years. It took a long time to get the bumper because Tesla had run out of stock. Autocraft Bodywerks called Tesla parts once or twice a week to keep the pressure up. They also gave me weekly status updates of what was going on (i.e. waiting on Tesla). Eventually, Tesla got the company in the Netherlands that originally made the Roadster bumpers to manufacture some more.

How badly damaged was your bumper? Mine barely has a mark on it, but have no clue whether there is damage "below the surface", but seems like if it hit much harder, the tail light would have been crushed instead of cracked. I'm hoping just minor "alignment" is all that is needed other than some cosmetic/detail paint...and perhaps a new tail light.

Sorry to hear about the fender bender but glad you're okay.

If their NLA at Tesla, perhaps someone who upgraded to the aftermarket tail lights would be willing to sell theirs? If not, @petergrub has this one listed on eBay:

Tesla Roadster Rear Driver left brake Light enclosure assembly | eBay

BTW, I'm guessing there no simple way to just replace the cracked lens, right?

That would be an ouch if it wasn't someone else's insurance paying for it...not the $750 mentioned above. $1350. Have to see what insurance is willing to pay, and how long they are willing to wait to get it fixed...

My bumper appeared to just be scuffed. I thought that it would just need to be repainted. When Autocraft took my car apart, they found out that there were a couple of broken plastic attachment points.

How badly damaged was your bumper? Mine barely has a mark on it, but have no clue whether there is damage "below the surface", but seems like if it hit much harder, the tail light would have been crushed instead of cracked. I'm hoping just minor "alignment" is all that is needed other than some cosmetic/detail paint...and perhaps a new tail light.

That would be an ouch if it wasn't someone else's insurance paying for it...not the $750 mentioned above. $1350. Have to see what insurance is willing to pay, and how long they are willing to wait to get it fixed...

I just went digging through some boxes in the garage, and sure enough - I have a set of tail lights. Let me know what happens with the repair and I'd be happy to sell you these if needed.

I just went digging through some boxes in the garage, and sure enough - I have a set of tail lights. Let me know what happens with the repair and I'd be happy to sell you these if needed.
Cool. If you want to sell them, I can provide them them for the repair shop, if needed Will let you know. It's one less item to wait on them to find and have shipped...thx.

Reactions: DeedWest