Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor scratch from keying - how to best repair it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to update the thread to give huge props to MoeMistry for taking care of the ugly scratch. He did it super quickly too. Couldn't be more pleased.

The scratch is all but gone now:

IMG_1403.JPG

Reactions: Vern Padgett
My wife's beautiful S90D in bright red was deeply keyed (more like a knife cut) from the panel behind the rear driver's door, across both doors, and onto the hood (front trunk).

It happened yesterday around 2 pm in the public parking lot in City of Orange between Glassell and Orange Streets just below the Traffic Circle.

She'd parked it perfectly in the spot. She said she saw a creepy kid on a bicycle riding around.

The newer and cleaner big red Mercedes behind us was not touched.

Last edited:
My wife's beautiful S90D in bright red was deeply keyed (more like a knife cut) from the panel behind the rear driver's door, across both doors, and onto the hood (front trunk).

It happened yesterday around 2 pm in the public parking lot in City of Orange between Glassell and Orange Streets just below the Traffic Circle.

Condolences. That just blows.

Do search the fora for the best detailers and body shops. Moe, for example, is listed above, and there was a thread with a strong recommendation for a high-end body shop (should it come to that, and it sounds like it may) that was fanatical about paint matching across panels and such for multicoat paint.

Hopefully the public lot had video surveillance and that the cops are familiar with the creepy kid already.

Calibred Customs has been favorably reviewed for installation of 2 sets of dashcams for 360-degree coverage. For future reference.

Good luck. Please share how the resolution goes.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Thank you Tao.

I talked to Moe on the phone today. Thanks to this forum for connecting us.

He said that red cars were not more likely to be keyed (or gouged with a screwdriver in our case), nor were Teslas more likely than other cars to show up in his shop with that kind of vandalism.

He said It sounds like repainting half the car will be the way to go, rather than filling in the gouge. He talked about the protective clear bra too.