Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror Assault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
This is a serious problem. When I park in a confined space, I expect my mirrors to automatically retract when I put the vehicle in park. That way I can wedge myself (and I'm a big guy) between the cars. This should happen automatically. All my previous vehicles (from Fords, to Acuras, to Lexus) did so. The mirrors did not extend as I approached the car--only when I was in the driver's seat. This prevented the (rather large) mirrors from assaulting me or my passengers as they approached. Fix it.

This is far more important than fart noises.

Reactions: hiroshiy
This is a serious problem. When I park in a confined space, I expect my mirrors to automatically retract when I put the vehicle in park. That way I can wedge myself (and I'm a big guy) between the cars. This should happen automatically. All my previous vehicles (from Fords, to Acuras, to Lexus) did so. The mirrors did not extend as I approached the car--only when I was in the driver's seat. This prevented the (rather large) mirrors from assaulting me or my passengers as they approached. Fix it.

This is far more important than fart noises.

Having the mirrors auto fold whenever you put it in Park would be pretty dangerous in many scenarios because when I park on the road I always take a good look in the driver's door mirror before opening the door to make sure there is nothing coming up behind. Just press the fold button and they will fold manually for you. I sometimes do this when parking in the garage, it's not a big deal at all.

However, I would much prefer the option of the mirrors unfolding when selecting drive rather than on door unlocking. Our other car gives you a choice on this. Although it's not something I lose any sleep over, lol.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I think a compromise would be good:

1. When parking mirrors can fold when you lock the car, thus get out and click the fob and they fold.

2. When approaching the car, you don't really need them to unfold until it senses you in the seat (best for street parking), or take off and hit X miles per hour, or put it in drive.

Would meet all's needs.

Priority for now is a new fart app though ;-)

My last car’s folding mirrors (Kia) worked exactly like the Tesla does.

If it’s a major issue couldn’t you manually fold the mirrors via touchscreen prior to exiting the car? Seems like a concern extremely specific to your use case. I agree with a prior poster that I want the mirrors unfolded until the car is locked so that I may see traffic approaching from behind.

Reactions: BoerumHill
I think a compromise would be good:

1. When parking mirrors can fold when you lock the car, thus get out and click the fob and they fold.

2. When approaching the car, you don't really need them to unfold until it senses you in the seat (best for street parking), or take off and hit X miles per hour, or put it in drive.

Would meet all's needs.

Priority for now is a new fart app though ;-)

They already do fold when you lock the car.
They need to unfold either when you sit in the driver's seat or at the very latest when selecting drive. You are supposed to check your mirrors before driving off, not when you reach X miles per hour!

My last car’s folding mirrors (Kia) worked exactly like the Tesla does.

If it’s a major issue couldn’t you manually fold the mirrors via touchscreen prior to exiting the car? Seems like a concern extremely specific to your use case. I agree with a prior poster that I want the mirrors unfolded until the car is locked so that I may see traffic approaching from behind.

The X has a physical button to manually fold/unfold the mirrors and it's pretty well placed to use. I often use it when squeezing through tight gaps etc.

They need to unfold either when you sit in the driver's seat or at the very latest when selecting drive. You are supposed to check your mirrors before driving off, not when you reach X miles per hour!

Agree on the unfold in seat so you don't have to manually unfold. Right now when you fold them manually, seems like the don't unfold until around 25 mph.

Agree on the unfold in seat so you don't have to manually unfold. Right now when you fold them manually, seems like the don't unfold until around 25 mph.

If you fold them manually, they don't unfold until you hit 30 mph (at least on my UK car), but you can press the button again to unfold them manually at any speed. Basically you can't fold them manually above 30 mph, which makes sense from a legal POV.

If you fold them manually, they don't unfold until you hit 30 mph (at least on my UK car), but you can press the button again to unfold them manually at any speed. Basically you can't fold them manually above 30 mph, which makes sense from a legal POV.

So this is merely a convenience issue where the OP doesn’t want to push a physical button on the door getting in and out of their car for their edge case scenario?

If that’s the case I have a very different definition of “serious problem.”

But joke aside, I agree that the beauty of our Teslas is that a 'simple' software update could bring more customization options for the folding/unfolding behavior. Like: fold when exiting car and unfold when sitting in car. This would work for the OP

So this is merely a convenience issue where the OP doesn’t want to push a physical button on the door getting in and out of their car for their edge case scenario?

Ah they do seem to unfold a quite early. Often I walk out too close to the garage or to our other car with key on me and the car wakes up and mirrors unfold (also door opens if you have PUP and auto doors turned on). It would be nice if your just grabbing something from the car or a bit too close for them to just stay folded until you sit in the seat and push brake pedal which turns car officially on.

No, they don't auto-fold unless you MANUALLY lock the car as you depart. They don't fold on lock automatically until you get away from the car and it locks on its own. This means every time I walk down the hallway at home and pass by the garage entrance, I hear the car folding and unfolding mirrors. Dumb.

It's hardly edge case... I have the same problem the OP does in my garage where I have to park relatively close to the wall and it doesn't leave much a gap to get in when I'm approaching the car from the front like I do. I have banged my elbow on the mirror several times now and it's annoying...

Jeff

Reactions: Beta V
It's hardly edge case... I have the same problem the OP does in my garage where I have to park relatively close to the wall and it doesn't leave much a gap to get in when I'm approaching the car from the front like I do. I have banged my elbow on the mirror several times now and it's annoying...

Jeff
My garage is also tight. If I've forgotten to disable the autopark, I get smacked in the stomach.

Reactions: jeffro01
No, they don't auto-fold unless you MANUALLY lock the car as you depart. They don't fold on lock automatically until you get away from the car and it locks on its own. This means every time I walk down the hallway at home and pass by the garage entrance, I hear the car folding and unfolding mirrors. Dumb.

True enough and I agree it's not the best solution. But neither is your proposal of auto-folding with park (as then you can't check the mirror before opening the door without manually unfolding it again). Probably the best solution would be to auto-unfold when you sit on the driver's seat and auto-fold when you get off the seat. Although personally I'm cool with the current auto-fold on lock as I use that for visual confirmation that the car is locked - and I would bet good money that a LOT of other people do that too!

You do realise you can currently solve both your issues by manually folding the mirrors before you get out of the car? They won't unfold to assault you again until you manually unfold them with the button or drive over 30 mph. I know you have to press a button to do this, but that's surely not the end of the world, lol! I would do it that way if I considered it to be such a "serious problem".

It does boil down to that, yes! The button is conveniently placed too. It's really not a big deal, but could be better implemented in auto mode for sure.