Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror Auto Tilt Adjustment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the auto tilt in reverse to be helpful for backing onto my driveway but it tilts farther down than I prefer. The manual says:
"To adjust the auto tilt position, shift
into Reverse, then adjust the exterior mirrors.
After you have adjusted the exterior mirrors
for backing up, they automatically tilt to that
adjusted (downward) position every time you
shift into Reverse."

It's not working for me. My procedure is like this:
1. With foot on brake, select Reverse.
2. Observe that both side mirrors tilt down.
3. Touch Controls > Quick Controls > Adjustments > MIRRORS.
4. Adjust mirror positions using the steering wheel scroll buttons and touch DONE.
5. Select Park.
6. Observe that both side mirrors return to normal position.
7. Select Reverse.
8. Observe that both side mirrors tilt down to the same place as in step 2.

What is the trick?

-Dave

No trick - when in reverse, adjust the mirrors to your delight.
After you adjust, be sure to save the adjustment to your profile (usually your name at top, middle of screen)
Make sense?
Unlike the S, model 3 will only save the up/down adjustments, if you make any side/side adjustment in reverse and save it, that will be the side/side setting for both drive and reverse. I ended up making a special "reverse" profile to deal with this which is far from optimal.

Thanks for the replies but it is still not working. The new and improved procedure is:
4. Adjust mirror positions using the steering wheel scroll buttons.
4a. Touch SAVE (which appeared while adjusting).
4b. Touch DONE.
5. Select Park.
7. Select Reverse.

I get the same result if I swap 4a and 4b.

• Informative
Reactions: nico180
Thanks for the replies but it is still not working. The new and improved procedure is:
4. Adjust mirror positions using the steering wheel scroll buttons.
4a. Touch SAVE (which appeared while adjusting).
4b. Touch DONE.
5. Select Park.
7. Select Reverse.

I get the same result if I swap 4a and 4b.
2018.10.5 seems to completely fix it. Now it works just like the S/X - it properly saves the settings both up/down and in/out tilts.

2018.10.5 seems to completely fix it. Now it works just like the S/X - it properly saves the settings both up/down and in/out tilts.
Ugh! I was totally wrong about this. I really thought it did it when I first tried after getting the update but I have not been able to repeat it since. It saves neither setting in reverse and only does the fixed downward-only tilt with the "auto-tilt" setting, exactly as before. Totally useless.

I know this is a bit old post, but curious if people are still having issues.

I have 2018.48.12.1, and it doesn't seem to save my reverse settings like it did on my Model S. I didn't try only adjusting up/down like some mentioned but from the subsequent posts, it seemed like people were saying it was fixed and should work just like the S/X where you can completely customize the tilt position when in reverse.

Talked to mobile service when he came to install my home link and he confirmed the tilt adjustment can’t be saved.

Seems like such a simple fix but we’re years on now and nothing. Even if they allowed us to just tilt one side only that would help. Quite dangerous to tilt both sides especially when parallel parking and you can’t see traffic coming from the side.