TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Mirror doesn’t always unfold

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Armoryguy, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Armoryguy

Armoryguy New Member

Curious here...has anyone had this problem? I have a 2017 model S 75D and the mirror will not unfold on occasion. When it happens all I have to do is hit the button to fold it back and then again to unfold and it works. So it’s only annoying but wondered if it’s something I’m doing or should it (could it) be fixed

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Very common issue with all kinds of claimed causes ... I gave up on autofold.

3. Tes La Ferrari

Yes- very common. Had mine replaced by Tesla ranger at home. Quick fix.

I’d advise calling your sc, and have them order one in. Then they can come to your house and fix it in less than an hour as soon as it arrives.

Apparently it’s because of a combination of 1. the stuff that gets caught underneath the mirror (dirt grime etc) putting extra load on the motor, and 2. Some weaker mirror motors that have made it through production.

Regardless - a very easy fix

4. Armoryguy

Armoryguy New Member

5. Armoryguy

Armoryguy New Member

Thank you for the information. I will give them a call. I thought it might be something under it but we have less then 6,000 on the car and it started when we didn’t have but maybe 3-4,000. So maybe the weak motor...? Lol. Unfortunately, it’s just one more issue we have had. ...had a rock from the road break a window (rear passenger side) and the car was in the shop for 3 months. Couldn’t get Tesla to communicate with me or the Tesla authorized repair shop. It seems parts are hard to come by easily.