TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mirror not folding out completely

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Vad42, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Vad42

Vad42 Member

On my 1 month old S I found that occasionally the driver side mirror seemed to lose the setting. It didn't look like I set it up before and I had to readjust it. Not every time but enough to notice it. I finally figured out today what's going on, and that's on occasion the mirror does not fold out completely. It stops about maybe 1/2 inch before getting to where it should be. And then obviously the mirror position is off. Once I realized that, I seem to be able to push to the right place either by hand or by folding it in/out once with the button. The other mirror is fine every time.

Anyone else observer something like this? Should I stop folding the mirrors every time, I have it on auto-fold. Is this worth a visit to Service?

2. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

I had a problem like this, for me it was some felt material under the mirror between the fixed piece and the moving top that was loose and getting in the way (actually an inch or so of the clothy material was sticking out so it was obvious what it was). I think the service center just cut off part of the felt as the fix for me.

3. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

I have the exact same problem. It easily pushes into place, but can still move back and forth like there is slack. When it works normally there is no slack. Another odd thing is that when I first go to the car and open the rear passenger door, the mirrors unfold, but then when I open the driver door, I sometimes hear a mirror motor run just a small amount more. I haven't caught it to see what happens then. All of this started after version 8.0. I'm wondering if it's actually a software bug? Did you get yours resolved? I'm dreading a service visit.

Also for reference: My car is 4 months old (refreshed).

4. Vad42

Vad42 Member

Not really resolved. I switched auto-folding off for now as it was annoying. However I started using summon to/from garage quite a bit now and it seems to fold the mirrors even if auto-fold is off...

5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

My passenger mirror has a similar issue... SC claims its because the command gets sent before the system fires up so it does not complete ... whatever. I too have disabled the folding mirrors.

6. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

Thanks for the info. I'm even more convinced now that your SC is right and its a software bug. This morning, I opened my rear door as normal and the mirror unfolded, but not all the way. It was loose as mentioned previously. When I opened my driver door, it unfolded that last little bit and locked in place.

7. apeh2000

apeh2000 Member

Same issue here. 2016 refresh 70D here. Anyone found a fix?

8. ModelX

ModelX Member

My parents took their X in when one of the side view mirrors would not open up. Tesla service did some kind of reset and it works again.

9. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

Was this the same situation we're experiencing where it would open most of the way, but not quite lock? Or would it just not unfold at all?

10. ModelX

ModelX Member

It would not unfold at all, so not sure if the reset would work-but might be worth calling another service center. SLC was where they went.

11. SUN-day Driver

#11 SUN-day Driver, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    I have mine on manual mode. I pull out of my garage and then unfold the mirrors. Sometimes, often the first trip of the day, I have this problem (mirror adjustment seems off but really it didn't unfold that last little bit and retracting and unfolding again fixes it). I don't think it's a timing issue about something not being ready for the command yet since I do it after pulling out of my garage. It's annoying and I will mention it when the car goes in for service but it's not worth taking it just for that (in my opinion).

12. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

Thanks for the information! Out of curiosity, is it always the same mirror? Mine always seems to be the driver's mirror.

13. SUN-day Driver

I think I've only seen the problem with the driver's side mirror but my husband said the passenger side mirror did it once to him.

14. GaryH

GaryH Member

We've had our 90D for 3 weeks and since V8 the passenger side mirror occasionally doesn't fully extend, I normally fold them in and then out with the button on the drivers door and then it goes out properly