Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror not folding out completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might be a contributory factor, but I am doubtful that cold weather is the primary issue. Mine hasn't experienced anything below 60F and is 2 weeks out from delivery. I am betting on a hardware/build issue.

I have been through 3 1/2 winters and 3 summers, and I can definitely say that the problem happens often in the winter and very rarely in the summer. I think it's a combination of road dirt/salt and ice getting into the mechanism. It is intermittent, though - if the car is fairly clean and has had a chance to thaw out since it was last wet, the mirrors generally work fine. If it's cold out (-10°C or lower) or the car is dirty or icy, they get stuck.

Same on our P100D! But instead its both mirrors they both wouldn't unfold yesterday. Until about 3 miles down the road the passenger mirror folded back out about 2/3 of the way. And the driver mirror never unfolded at all. So we disabled "Auto-Fold" So they wont try to fold in anymore.

My P85D had this issue once and it was the Mirror Motor in the driver side mirror because it wouldn't fold out.
But my wife's 85D has been perfect so far!

On my 1 month old S I found that occasionally the driver side mirror seemed to lose the setting. It didn't look like I set it up before and I had to readjust it. Not every time but enough to notice it. I finally figured out today what's going on, and that's on occasion the mirror does not fold out completely. It stops about maybe 1/2 inch before getting to where it should be. And then obviously the mirror position is off. Once I realized that, I seem to be able to push to the right place either by hand or by folding it in/out once with the button. The other mirror is fine every time.

Anyone else observer something like this? Should I stop folding the mirrors every time, I have it on auto-fold. Is this worth a visit to Service?

SAME PROBLEM... have read alot of people with the same problem. hoping for a firmware fix

I have the same problem on my 60D delivered in December. It's the drivers side. I dont experience it ever extending or retracting all of the way. Even if I hit the button multiple times. The mirror also feels loose. I can move it maybe an inch back and forth by hand. Just accerating moves the mirror. I'm taking it into service on Monday and will report back.

Is this what the SC told you? Wonder if I should even take it in then ..

This is the email I received.

"I just wanted to update you on the concern you are experiencing with the mirror not folding properly, it has been brought to my attention this is due to a firmware bug. We are working on a repair and once a repair becomes available it will most likely be with an over the air firmware update. "

My passenger side mirror has stuck again a couple times this week (sub-freezing temps). Multiple fold/unfold cycles by pressing the switch didn't correct it. Also could not push the mirror by hand to the correct fully extended position. Eventually worked again properly after driving a while, I had the rear window/mirror defroster on, maybe coincidence or the heat loosened whatever was stuck. Btw car is parked overnight in garage so no visible ice/snow on the mirrors, but cold temp must be stiffening something.

but as I reported earlier I've seen the problem intermittently during warm weather too over the past year (always the passenger mirror). BTW this is after the latest update 2.50.114

Those who are experiencing this, when the mirror does unfold (retrying the button or helping manually), are you also observing any issues with position restore (moving the glass surface when you switch driver profiles or if you put the car in reverse)? I'm experiencing both problems and trying to figure out whether they are related or not.

Those who are experiencing this, when the mirror does unfold (retrying the button or helping manually), are you also observing any issues with position restore (moving the glass surface when you switch driver profiles or if you put the car in reverse)? I'm experiencing both problems and trying to figure out whether they are related or not.
Not me. My mirrors frequently fail to fold/unfold fully, but the glass setting is always right once they are fully extended.

No issues with mirror surface itself restoring/moving normally when in reverse, but of course when housing itself doesn't fully unfold the mirror angle isn't as expected. Once housing finally moves to correct position then mirror surface itself is once again where it should be. So maybe you're seeing separate problems

Same problem here on a new MS delivered 24 December. I thought it might be the exceptionally cold Seattle weather (although no icing), but it seems folks are having this problem in warm climates. I got a service appointment for later this month.

Given the length of this thread, this feels like piling on, but here's one more data point: I've got a 60D delivered in December (on the 31st, actually--just a few days ago) that's also exhibiting both problems with the passenger mirror: it doesn't always unfold completely, and the position of the glass is not always restored correctly, i.e., even if it does unfold properly, the glass is not always restored properly.

Given the length of this thread, this feels like piling on, but here's one more data point: I've got a 60D delivered in December (on the 31st, actually--just a few days ago) that's also exhibiting both problems with the passenger mirror: it doesn't always unfold completely, and the position of the glass is not always restored correctly, i.e., even if it does unfold properly, the glass is not always restored properly.
Thanks all. Mine is never restoring at all - not moving at all. It does move with the directional buttons though.