Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror not folding out completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 S75 driver's side mirror started having this problem immediately after a software update a couple of months ago.

The motor would stall and shut off before the mirror was fully extended. The mirror would be half-extended and rather floppy on its pivot.

SC replaced the mirror. Problem recurred within two days.

Activating the switch to roll down the driver's side window would sometimes cause the new mirror to awaken and finish extending. But that "fix" no longer seems to work.

The only reliable way to extend the mirror now is to grasp it by hand and apply gentle outward torque while the motor is extending it. That always works, but it's an impractical workaround.

My guess is that the mirror pivot is tight, causing the motor to draw more current than expected while extending. The firmware apparently treats this high-current condition to mean that the mirror is fully extended against its stop.

SC will make a second attempt to fix it today. They have a good attitude about fixing it, but seem to be completely unaware of this thread and other similar ones.

I have the same issue for 2 months but I figured easiest thing to do is just turn off the folding mirrors and problem solved for now. In the future I might bring it in when it seems that they have really figured out the issue and solved it. I dont want to drive 2 hours there and back to only have the issue return again.

Ditto.
Just turned my mirrors off.

Mine is temperature dependent.

My driver's side mirror fails 100% of the time if the temp is below 40 or so.
it works most of the time if the temp is above 50. (but not all)

so I turned it off.

I'll ask SC to fix it at the 1 year checkup

Same here. Makes it 75% of the way half the time. I turned it off too since I don't really have a need for it, not worth making a special service trip.

I had been having the problem. "Solved" it by manually positioning the mirror and then not folding after hearing it was a firmware problem.

17.7.2 seemed to help but not completely. But since installing 17.9.3 last week the problem seems to have gone away.

Hoping it stays that way. :)