Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror not folding out completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 1 month old S I found that occasionally the driver side mirror seemed to lose the setting. It didn't look like I set it up before and I had to readjust it. Not every time but enough to notice it. I finally figured out today what's going on, and that's on occasion the mirror does not fold out completely. It stops about maybe 1/2 inch before getting to where it should be. And then obviously the mirror position is off. Once I realized that, I seem to be able to push to the right place either by hand or by folding it in/out once with the button. The other mirror is fine every time.

Anyone else observer something like this? Should I stop folding the mirrors every time, I have it on auto-fold. Is this worth a visit to Service?

I had a problem like this, for me it was some felt material under the mirror between the fixed piece and the moving top that was loose and getting in the way (actually an inch or so of the clothy material was sticking out so it was obvious what it was). I think the service center just cut off part of the felt as the fix for me.

On my 1 month old S I found that occasionally the driver side mirror seemed to lose the setting. It didn't look like I set it up before and I had to readjust it. Not every time but enough to notice it. I finally figured out today what's going on, and that's on occasion the mirror does not fold out completely. It stops about maybe 1/2 inch before getting to where it should be. And then obviously the mirror position is off. Once I realized that, I seem to be able to push to the right place either by hand or by folding it in/out once with the button. The other mirror is fine every time.

Anyone else observer something like this? Should I stop folding the mirrors every time, I have it on auto-fold. Is this worth a visit to Service?
I have the exact same problem. It easily pushes into place, but can still move back and forth like there is slack. When it works normally there is no slack. Another odd thing is that when I first go to the car and open the rear passenger door, the mirrors unfold, but then when I open the driver door, I sometimes hear a mirror motor run just a small amount more. I haven't caught it to see what happens then. All of this started after version 8.0. I'm wondering if it's actually a software bug? Did you get yours resolved? I'm dreading a service visit.

Also for reference: My car is 4 months old (refreshed).

Reactions: fasteddie7
I have the exact same problem. It easily pushes into place, but can still move back and forth like there is slack. When it works normally there is no slack. Another odd thing is that when I first go to the car and open the rear passenger door, the mirrors unfold, but then when I open the driver door, I sometimes hear a mirror motor run just a small amount more. I haven't caught it to see what happens then. All of this started after version 8.0. I'm wondering if it's actually a software bug? Did you get yours resolved? I'm dreading a service visit.

Also for reference: My car is 4 months old (refreshed).

Not really resolved. I switched auto-folding off for now as it was annoying. However I started using summon to/from garage quite a bit now and it seems to fold the mirrors even if auto-fold is off...

My passenger mirror has a similar issue... SC claims its because the command gets sent before the system fires up so it does not complete ... whatever. I too have disabled the folding mirrors.
Thanks for the info. I'm even more convinced now that your SC is right and its a software bug. This morning, I opened my rear door as normal and the mirror unfolded, but not all the way. It was loose as mentioned previously. When I opened my driver door, it unfolded that last little bit and locked in place.

I have mine on manual mode. I pull out of my garage and then unfold the mirrors. Sometimes, often the first trip of the day, I have this problem (mirror adjustment seems off but really it didn't unfold that last little bit and retracting and unfolding again fixes it). I don't think it's a timing issue about something not being ready for the command yet since I do it after pulling out of my garage. It's annoying and I will mention it when the car goes in for service but it's not worth taking it just for that (in my opinion).

Last edited:
I have mine on manual mode. I pull out if my garage and then unfold the mirrors. Sometimes, often the first trip of the day, I have this problem (mirror adjustment seems off but really it didn't unfold that last little bit and retracting and unfolding again fixes it). I don't think it's a timing issue about something not being ready for the command yet since I do it after pulling out of my garage. It's annoying and I will mention it when the car goes in for service but it's not worth taking it just for that (in my opinion).
Thanks for the information! Out of curiosity, is it always the same mirror? Mine always seems to be the driver's mirror.

Reactions: fasteddie7
I have the exact same problem. It easily pushes into place, but can still move back and forth like there is slack. When it works normally there is no slack. [...]
Any update from anyone on this problem?

I've noticed this problem intermittently a handful of times over the past year, and also notice the slack mentioned by @chipmunk when the problem happens. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it's always the passenger-side mirror. Usually re-folding and unfolding the mirrors again allows the mirror to fully extend again normally.

This past week we had unusually cold weather, several days below freezing, and both mirrors wouldn't unfold completely even with multiple cycles of the button or by pushing the last bit by hand. I hesitate calling the service centre right now about the problem, thinking they'll surely just say it's due to the cold weather - but other than this week I've had the problem in all kinds of weather and other seasons (it's just seems worse in the cold). I temporarily disabled auto-fold during the cold spell, but now that it's warmed up a bit things seem to be working ok again. Once the weather warms up a bit more to rule out ice/freezing parts I will call up the SC...

Meanwile does anybody know the physical mechanism involved in driving the mirror housings back and forth? any pictures of the housing dismantled to see where the problem might be? The slack mentioned above makes me think there must be some kind of physical obstruction involved...

I have the same problem with the driver side mirror only. The car started having this problem from day 1 (delivery 12/17/2016). I'm actually annoyed that quality control (if there is any) didn't test the mirrors before delivering my car. I am calling the SC today to determine next course of action.

I have this exact issue with my S60 delivered on 14 DEC 16, except that it happens on both sides (driver side >> passenger side). Noticed it the morning after delivery (which I think was the first time the mirrors were folded...). I called the SC and they are supposedly ordering new mirrors for me. It doesn't seem to be software, as it is clear that the motors are both working. It appears to be mechanical slipping, or inadequate unfolding force as they can be "helped" into the correct position while unfolding with a small amount of pressure on the outboard mirror housing. You can feel the vibration from the motors while doing that (so they are obviously getting the "UNFOLD" command).

I agree, this is a very annoying QC issue, which would have been discovered if someone had folded and unfolded the mirrors.

Nonetheless, I still love the car.