Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror not folding out completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
90D delivered 12/29/2016. Driver mirror not folding out fully. I live in Florida, so no cold weather. Glass is correct.

The motor is definitely struggling to get the mirror open. It gets about 90% there and stops with slack. However, if I gently help the motor, it opens fully with no slack.

Confirming both issues on 60D produced on December 20: driver mirror not folding out completely, front doors need to be more like slammed to close. Didn't contact SC.
Yea, driver's door not closing smoothly is another issue we're experiencing. That one hopefully is just a matter of quick adjustment next on next SC visit (which will probably be for the mirror as it's got more than just unfolding problem). It seems the increased production capacity comes at a cost of initial quality control.

Quality control? I don't think that is part of Tesla's model. Manufacture and ship seems to be their MO. I have 3 quality issues that should have been caught at outgoing inspection (mirror not folding, door not shutting correctly, and back seat cup holder doesn't shut). If any of these things were tested, they would have been caught as they happen 100% of the time. Most concerning is the suspension. This car bounces like nothing I've ever experienced (coils/19 inch wheels/45 psi). Combine that with the fact that none of the AP related features work, and probably won't work for quite some time, and I'm not a happy camper.
I hope SC can fix these issues, but I'd bet the suspension issue is going to be difficult to solve.

I have a December 2016 S60 and am experiencing the driver door mirror problem quite frequently. In addition, the doors often require a second close since it seems they need a lot of force to close. The trunk has taken me over 3 closes to get to latch properly occasionally. And my sunroof doesn't always open on the first attempt, but begins working after registering a close operation. This is in addition to cosmetics issues that weren't caught during production. The car is amazing, and the service center has been excellent, but production quality control is definitely still lacking.

I was told to write down the timestamp every time the door mirror fails, so they can check the logs for problems. This seems like a good process with Tesla.

Confirming both issues on 60D produced on December 20: driver mirror not folding out completely, front doors need to be more like slammed to close. Didn't contact SC.
Picked up my 60D on January 4th 2017, and these are the exact problems I've been having. It's also very annoying how the charge port turns white for only a split second when I click the button on the UMC to remove it.

I'm not sure it is helpful just to add another example of the same issues but I picked up my S60D on Dec 31 and within a day began experiencing the driver side mirror problem of not fully folding out. This issue happens perhaps 30-40% of the time. Otherwise it works as it should.

Today as I look out at my parked car, I see that the passenger side mirror has folded in but the driver side mirror has remained folded out (on the drive into work today it had folded out properly).

My family find that the doors take an inordinate amount of force to close properly. We have an automatic hatch so that hasn't been an issue.

Appointment with the SC on Jan 14 to "fix" the mirror issue. They didn't mention a potential firmware update.

Other than that, I'm loving the car! :) (not sarcastic)

IMG_1823.JPG IMG_1820.JPG I believe the door shutting issues is due to the door not being aligned properly. My door sags a bit. You can see the trim on the door is a little lower than the trim that it is suppose to match up with. When I close the door slowly, I can see that the latching bolt on the door is rubbing against the top metal part of the latch. See pics.

View attachment 210008 View attachment 210009 I believe the door shutting issues is due to the door not being aligned properly. My door sags a bit. You can see the trim on the door is a little lower than the trim that it is suppose to match up with. When I close the door slowly, I can see that the latching bolt on the door is rubbing against the top metal part of the latch. See pics.

Well, at least they got the correct door installed on the correct side. My left and right doors were reversed when I first got my car, but an immediate OTA firmware update fixed it.

;)

• Funny
Reactions: Doubletap67