Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror not folding out completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I just updated to v8.0 (2.52.22) yesterday, and this morning my passenger mirror once again got stuck about 90% of the way folding out. Folding it back in & out fixed it. as I've reported previously, this is a very very intermittent problem for me, happens both in warm weather and cold, though more frequently in cold. But at least I can report that there's no magic cure in 2.52.22

I'm convinced this is a combination of hw and sw issue - e.g. something physically "sticking" or causing more resistance in the mirror housing's movement (whether dirt, ice, etc), and perhaps the sw doesn't drive the motors long enough to overcome any slight resistance (and hence Tesla has said a firmware fix is on the way)

It not weather, dirt, or snow.mine does it 100% of the time from day 1. The car was perfectly clean and outside weather was good.
I think someone else reported previously in their case there was some piece of felt or something like that inside the housing that was causing the trouble. Some people experience the problem all the time, others intermittently. Some had mirrors replaced, others were told it's a software fix needed. I still think the root cause is some kind of physical obstruction (internal to the housing) and maybe Tesla is suggesting a sw fix can overcome the obstruction.

The root cause must be at least partly mechanical. If it were strictly software, every car would have this problem 100% of the time.
I can see to some extent what is happening. The timing is kind of off on the internal motor. My left side mirror reaches the full closed position well before my right side mirror. This puts it out of synch when it reopens I think. Not sure exactly though.

IMO, it's some kind of manufacturing quality issue. There is obviously some deviation between mirrors as they are manufactured. There should be a tolerance spec specifying what deviation is acceptable. There seems to be an issue with some mirrors on the edge of a spec (or maybe out of spec but poor QA didn't catch it, or Tesla needed to make cars for the end of the year rush and chose to accept parts out of spec) which causes the mirror to get stuck. Tesla is hoping they can fix that with a firmware update by driving the motors harder. In my case my mirror also has a problem of glass surface position save/restore not working at all, something Tesla is also hoping to fix with a firmware update. Somehow "hope" has become Tesla's strategy go-to lately. *sigh* The problem is, nobody seems to know when this update is coming and what it will fix. Maybe the mirror issue is rare enough that it doesn't get any priority with all the EAP hoopla. If that's the case it won't be fixed by end of this month, at which point I will just ask for a mirror replacement - if they cannot fix it within more than a month that suggests to me they'd rather pay for mirror replacements. Since not all cars are experiencing this issue, seems eventually I should end up with a mirror that will work.

To add to this, all cars don't get updates at the same time. Our older car got 2.52.22 a couple of nights ago, but the new one, which has the mirror problem, did not. It could be that they haven't figured out how to provide regular cruise control (the new car doesn't have EAP enabled and we know it was an issue on the first 1000 cars), or it could be because the new car doesn't automatically connect to WiFi when it's parked in the garage. If I click the WiFi icon, it "initializes WiFi" for a while and the suddenly it's all connected automatically. It also automatically connects after main screen manual reset, but not if you drive it and come back home. WiFi signal strength is almost full, so that's not the issue. Also, the other Model S in the same garage connects every time.

This is my 3rd Model S, and I gotta say, the initial quality seems to be going down every year. My 2013 had the least issues, 2015 had some more, 2017 is having yet more issues. None of them are making a car undrivable, but when you spend this kind of money for a car, it should come in working order, including non-critical functionality like mirror folding or position restore, no? The only thing that makes up for it is Tesla's excellent service - Tesla's saving grace really. This strategy of having customers do QA and having SC's fix things is not going to work come Model 3 volumes.

I have a model S delivered in Dec. 2016. It has this exact problem as well, really annoying.
The worse part is that I made an appt with their service center, and that day was a big sunny day, so when I got there, the mirrors fold perfectly. I couldn't even get someone to take a look :(
Do we have a definitive answer how should we get this fixed?

I have the same problem and I have a service appointment tomorrow. Will provide an update. Meanwhile, I read somewhere before that this is a motor drive issue and they replaced the motor for them. Not sure whether this is different. Again, this was happening from day 1 of delivery (late December). I also surprised at the quality testing on such a fundamental and basic feature as mirror folding.

Count me in for this issue. Driver's side, sometimes it'd partially fold out, then you could push it the rest of the way, other times it'd partially fold out then lock in that position. Not sure if it was because of the varying positions or simply SW issue but seemed the mirror would go out of whack too. Would have to adjust it to the very end of its track outward to get a partial rear view. I remedied this by simply disabling auto folding. Hoping it's not really SW because I've no plans of updating past 7.1 unless they back off on their AP1 handicapping quest.

Same exact issue with my 6 month old 90D. The driver side mirror extends out to about 90%. It happens ocassionally - maybe 1 in 50 times I drive the car. It started happening in the last 3 months or so. It is annoying, but doesn't happen frequently enough yet for me to make a special trip to the SC.

I have the same problem and I have a service appointment tomorrow. Will provide an update. Meanwhile, I read somewhere before that this is a motor drive issue and they replaced the motor for them. Not sure whether this is different. Again, this was happening from day 1 of delivery (late December). I also surprised at the quality testing on such a fundamental and basic feature as mirror folding.

Went to SC. They confirmed it's a firmware bug and a potential hardware problem. I hv a hardware problem too. They will order parts and need to go back again in 2-3 days. At that time, they will update firmware too.

Since the SC said they couldn't replicate the issue and when I picked up the car it worked, I assumed it was fixed. While supercharging today, I checked to see it the passenger mirror still folds all the way, but of course, it only folds in half way again. I folded and unfolded a few more times and it finally folded completely.

Went to the SC today. Didn't get past the person at the desk. He came out and took a look. He was quite convinced that it is the piece of felt that Tesla placed underneath the mirror to protect the chrome on chrome rubbing as the mirror folds and unfolds. He believes it can pick up moisture and expand, causing the struggle for the motor to completely unfold. He recommended running the rear defrost in order to activate the side mirrors. Of course this is not the solution I had hoped for. He offered an ICE loaner but indicated that all they would be doing was warming up the car and running the rear defrost. If it had been a Tesla loaner I might have taken it but decided I would just keep my car and see how it goes! I have a home appointment next week to help with the Homelink which isn't registering my garage door opener and will review the mirror issue again at the time.

That is insane. Run the rear defrost every time you want to unfold your mirrors? That wasn't part of your purchase agreement.
I live in Denver. Humidity is like 15% and my mirror never unfolds. If they think it's due to moisture, ask them to give you data that supports their wild guess. Only my driver side mirror fails to open. If it were due to moisture, both sides should fail to open.

Last edited:
There are issues with mirrors but no clear communication from Tesla HQ as to how to remedy the problems. Some SC's are just hoping the problems will go away with "next firmware update", however people have reported the latest update did not fix their problem at all, so it's back to " maybe the one after this". Maybe there is some issue with the firmware, however without clear communications, any and all problems with mirrors are now in the "hopefully firmware will fix it" category so customers are told to wait if they report any mirror issue. I don't blame the SC's, they can only work with information they are given. I keep hearing all my mirror problems (more than just unfolding issue) will be fixed with a firmware, but no estimates when other than classic Tesla "soon".

This is starting to feel ridiculous. An experienced manufacturer would not ship an untested product, but even if they ran into such as issue like this, they'd get ahead of this, investigate and communicate to SC's and indirectly customers as to what the fix is, what it fixes, how, and when.

Reactions: caltechkid