TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mirrors folded in and stuck there

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by AB4EJ, Jun 29, 2016.

1. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

2016 MS (had it for 2 months): when I parked, mirrors folded in as usual. When I returned to the car, it took an unusually long time for the startup sequence to run, and the folded-in mirrors stayed folded.

In the Settings panel, I tried changing the folding mirrors toggle back and forth, no change.

A stop at a store (went in for a while), mirrors still stay folded upon restart.

I drove home and I found when the car turned off, and then on again - then they folded out (as they should).

I have set the toggle to disable auto-fold, at least for now.

What do you think? Weird software glitch? Or a developing bad connection somewhere? Or?

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

#2 scottm, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Don't use power savings modes and your car "starts up faster".

Reboot your console.

Don't forget that you have a button on the door to unfold on demand. Use that rather than center console settings if what you need is unfolded mirrors right now.

I have folding mirrors, it was part of an option package I wanted. But I don't really want folding mirrors, leave them unfolded all the time. Lots of space where I park and drive daily... don't need the narrowness.

If these gave me issues, I'd simply disconnect the wires and leave them in the folded out position.

Ultimately, I'd like to remove the side mirrors and put 2 cameras there instead, and mount 2 little screens either where the triangle windows are or as side extensions to the center rear view mirror... Tesla has teased at this kind of thing and faced ancient laws and other things so we don't see it today.

• Like x 1
  3. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Well this I did not know, my 2013 would keep the mirrors folded in quite a few times
    Thank you for that info