TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mirrors Gone from Model X on Tesla Motors Page

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Cattledog, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

As pointed out by Remnant on teslamotors.com's Model X thread, the pictures of the Model X on Tesla's Model X page no longer show mirrors. Neither do they show up on our personal Tesla page where it shows our Model X reservation - awesome! My guess is it may be a $ extra when configuring.

Model X | Tesla Motors

2. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Regulations in the United States have required mirrors in the past.
    I will be pleasantly shocked if this changed.

I suspect that this is simply a graphical glitch showing an earlier concept.

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

If intentionally removed and TM is confident to ship with cameras I'm very happy.

4. pbleic

pbleic Member

This would be somewhat problematic in rain and snow as well.

5. GSP

GSP Member

I think NHTSA may be reconsidering rear view mirror regulations. Removing them would be very helpful to meeting their 54 mpg CAFE regulations. Without a way to meet 54 mpg, the regs could get relaxed during the mid-term review. Advanced tech to insure durability and provide acceptable fail modes for cameras could complete the perfect storm to remove the mirror requirement.

GSP

6. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

I guess it could be a website glitch, maybe a timestamp error. But it's also been done on the image that appears on our 'My Dashboard' page that shows our Model X reservation and it's a different Model X image - color, angle, etc.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Woot! Made my morning. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 5.19.44 AM.jpg

8. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Man, I feel pretty unobservant to have missed that...

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I will be surprised if the multiple images and animations of the X on that web page are missing the side mirrors because of a "graphical glitch". Looks intentional to me. Note that in place of traditional side view mirrors there are tiny stalks, just a few inches long. Obviously where little video cameras are mounted.

Very cool. The car looks so much better without bulky side mirrors. I understand that US DOT rules currently require side mirrors. But maybe the times really are a changing.

10. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

If you look closely you will see a small pod sticking out from the side just large enough for a camera.

11. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

I bet Tesla really didn't want to offer power folding mirrors on the Model S but caved to demand. The wiring they'd prefer is not to little electric motors but to little cameras!

12. MarkR

MarkR Member

It will be awesome when we learn for certain that rear view mirrors are no longer required . . . and also great if there is a retrofit for the rear-view cameras for the Model S.

13. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

^^^^ This ^^^^

Considering that my rear view camera becomes useless within minutes of driving in snow (or rain), if Tesla want to use cameras instead of side mirrors they will absolutely have to provide some means of keeping the lens clean.

It would be great if they can pull it off in non-californian climes.

14. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

Agree completely. Just drove through Alberta and back up cam was useless the whole time as simply very dirty from...slushy snowy muddy mess.

15. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

The placement of the rear camera lens is probably the worst spot possible, beside right behind the tire facing forward.

I would not be surprised if a camera placed higher, and by the side of the car will be much easier to keep clean.

All that said, I still believe it is an error and the side mirrors will return by Tuesday.

16. Bearman

Bearman Member

This problem has already been solved elsewhere, when glass gets too busy with water/dirt only a high speed rotating clear glass/lens works, and it works great.They just need to make one for rear view cameras where turbulence is an issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_view_screen

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The mirrors are still there, I can see the shadows! I'm guessing they are just really well camouflaged for aesthetic reasons..... ;-)

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Looks a little odd at first without the mirrors but a good step I think. Would love the have blindspot cameras on the Model S too.

19. EcoBruin

EcoBruin Member

Not sure if anyone has noticed this... Honda has cameras in place along with the side mirrors. Not sure if this is a sign of things to come, but I am excited at the possibility of complete removal of side mirrors. Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 9.28.43 AM.png

20. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Cameras in conjunction with side mirrors have been around for some time, ask any RV owner. I've never seen one with only cameras though.