Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors Gone from Model X on Tesla Motors Page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a simple, appropriately engineered air diversion "sweep" would constantly flow a sheet of air over the lens. Think of this as a miniature version of the side-to-side air deflectors that higher-end station wagons had across their rear windows starting in the....¿¿¿¿¿¿late 1960s????? (and, with a little bit of aero-engineering, involving just the right amount of sheeting air to do the job; no more than the most minuscule amount of increased coeff.of drag).

That works when moving. The cameras also have to be clear when almost stopped (during parking for example), so an active component needs to be available even if the passive component will do 95% of the cleaning.

I agree....I know this is difficult for today's generation but for me, my gloved thumb would work perfectly. For the driver's side, at least!

Not in December in Vancouver or March in Texas. When the rain is so hard that you can't see three metres in front of you, opening the window isn't an option :)

Not in December in Vancouver or March in Texas. When the rain is so hard that you can't see three metres in front of you, opening the window isn't an option :)

Couldn't this problem be mitigated by having the lens inside of a sufficient recess? Sure, I can imagine an exception in horizontal rain from the rear while stopped... Then again, I'm sure we've all had situations where existing side-view mirrors were impaired or not at all useful due to weather conditions (ice, fog, rain).

It's an interesting problem but maybe we are over-thinking if we insist on absolute 100% infallibility, when existing tech is certainly not infallible. Imho, side-view mirrors are aids, and a rare temporary loss of view is adequately and appropriately managed by turning one's head and looking. And, I think a camera view could be superior in a number of aspects (adaptive optics, night-vision, contrast enhancements, even predictive AI applied to the image stream...).

I think it's cool...and I tend to trust that Tesla will engineer them so that they're at least as good, and I'm sure much better than mirrors. There's plenty they can do with the airflow to help keep them clear, maybe take some clues from the on-board F1 camera's (mostly forward-facing, and with rotating clear protectors, and never in snow, but still...). Plus I assume they'll be packed with various sensors, maybe even a 'you should probably wipe a wet thumb over the camera please' warning if they do get too dirty - can't do that with a mirror.

It's an interesting problem but maybe we are over-thinking if we insist on absolute 100% infallibility, when existing tech is certainly not infallible. Imho, side-view mirrors are aids, and a rare temporary loss of view is adequately and appropriately managed by turning one's head and looking. And, I think a camera view could be superior in a number of aspects (adaptive optics, night-vision, contrast enhancements, even predictive AI applied to the image stream...).

The way to make cameras popular with regulators and the public who hasn't ever used them is to make them better than what they are replacing. It's not going to be 100% infallible, but heated cameras with an air blast mechanism is reasonable. Mirrors are already heated and a small air pump isn't going to be all that hard to do. And yes, you always do a head check.

Call me old fashioned but I never rely on just looking at the mirror. It still amazes me how many people enter the highway without turning their head or change lanes without quickly looking.
That is one reason I'm actually forward to cameras since they should do a better job than mirrors if designed correctly. More than once I've startled someone when I've come up on them in their blind spot and they haven't see me.
And maybe I shouldn't say this but I've also startled them on purpose hoping they will learn to look the next time.

Wouldn't heated cameras fix the snow problem?

They spread salt and sand on the roads around here, so the camera gets covered in crap even when it's not getting covered in snow.

The camera at the rear of the car is in a bad place for this - there's a vortex at the back of every car, that sucks road junk onto the back of the car. The side mirrors would not be nearly as badly impacted, although I think they would need some kind of automatic clearing mechanism.

Does the SPIT + THUMB method count? :tongue:
Hmm, my arm/thumb isn't long enough to reach the passenger side.

That being said, with the exception of water and ice, both easily cleared by the built in heaters, my side mirrors on both cars very seldom get dirty enough to be a visibility issue. I believe it's because of the aerodynamics of the mirror surround, which I'd think would be much easier to design for smaller cameras. A heater for ice and water would be pretty trivial as well.

The rear camera is a different matter and probably needs some kind of active cleaning system or lens cap, although if it were capped it couldn't be used while moving. Perhaps on the X the rear view camera could be mounted on the top of the rear hatch to get it into a faster moving air stream.

Just sorting through files and such. Ran across screen capture I did right after placing our MX reservation in September. Didn't remember it at the time, but can confirm that the MX displayed there did NOT have mirrors.

My Tesla  Tesla Motors - Google Chrome 9302013 40954 PM.bmp.jpg

Those types of coatings are great but they usually leave a sort of milky residue that makes them inappropriate for use on anything one needs to see through. It would be awesome if they came up with something that was totally clear when applied though. Imagine that on a car windshield!

Not only does it leave a milky residue, it actually only lasts from 2-8 months and it is more around the 2 month period when a vehicle is left in direct sunlight.

The product is extremely expensive (around $500.) It adds up if you continue to apply it every time it wears.

Check out my thread that involves Honda's solution to mirrors and cameras.

I guess I'm old fashioned as well as I too can not trust mirrors alone without turning my head and checking blind spots. What ever the outcome of this mirror mystery though, I'm sure it will be both functional and innovative.

Call me old fashioned but I never rely on just looking at the mirror. It still amazes me how many people enter the highway without turning their head or change lanes without quickly looking.
That is one reason I'm actually forward to cameras since they should do a better job than mirrors if designed correctly. More than once I've startled someone when I've come up on them in their blind spot and they haven't see me.
And maybe I shouldn't say this but I've also startled them on purpose hoping they will learn to look the next time.