Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors Interior and Exterior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Roadster arrive in two months or so but on my three test drives, I guess I didn't notice much of a problem with the rearview mirror. Does the micromirror improve things that much?

I was finding that the OEM rear view mirror was blocking my view to the front right. There is a four-way stop on the route I drive every day, and it has a slight incline. With that geometry you could hide an entire sedan behind the mirror. Despite trying to be vigilant about this, on occasion I'd miss seeing a car. And that wasn't the only situation where this could be a problem.

I switched to the micromirror, and the problem was eliminated. It's important to be able to see what is behind, but it's even MORE important to see what's in front of you!

You don't lose rearward visibility with the micromirror, although you'll notice that you're seeing parts of the field of view with just one eye. You'll want to carefully adjust it so you have stereo vision directly behind you. It took me about a day to get used to it. Combine it with the multivex side mirrors and IMHO the rear view situation is greatly enhanced compared to the stock configuration. AND you can see better in front.

Doug

Remember the Aptera prototypes?
aptera-5-interior.jpg

See the camera(s) on the side as well as in the middle?
Aptera+side.jpg

does anyone know if the craft square touring mirrors sold by sector111 and others, fit the tesla? they do fit the elise2 but are not advertised to fit the tesla...... however, same OEM mirrors should.mean same screw holes to fit the new bracket into. does anyone know for sure?

I was told they don't felix...the Craftsquare mirrors compatibility is only the

•'05+ Elise
•'06-'07+ Exige and Exige S

The "Raceview" mirrors from Sector 111 ( raceVIEW Mirrors for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111 ) are compatible with the Roadster. Athough these mirrors already have a CF exterior, the weave does not match the Roadster weave.

John at Carbon One said he can wrap these mirror to match the Roadster weave.

He can also wrap the interior micro mirror... microMIRRORâ„¢ Rear View Mirror for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

Hmmm. too bad since the base support for the raceview mirrors is quite chunky and doesn't feel like it's part of the car as much as the squarecraft's one. it generally feels like a better fit.........

thanks for your comment jaff.

I am a side mirror user, but am only 5'10 (when I spike my hair) so may be different for y'all.

The convex mirror (I installed it only on the passenger side) was helpful and I continue to use it for over a year; although it is a big improvement for me, I never felt like it completed the job. A month ago, I went to Pep Boys and bought $5 stick on convex mirrors that take up about 1/4 of the outside of each (I put them on both) current side mirror. I am happy with the "performance" during the day, but it is a bit harder to use at night. That is probably just the presbyopia that I am experiencing. If I were to do it again, I would have just used these instead of the convex mirror replacement for cost and quality of improved visibility. My 2 cents.

From earlier in the thread .... I followed this and it made a HUGE difference -- highly recommended. It's weird at first but stick with it and you should end up feeling much better.

The blind spots in these cars can obviously be a problem. If the side mirrors, even the stock ones, are set properly it will minimize, or possibly eliminate, the blind spots. This is how I set my mirrors for all of my cars. It has been particularly helpful in the Lotus. I have to get help adjusting the passenger side mirror on the Elise but can do the driver's side alone.

Set your rear view mirror as you normally would. Then, lean your head all the way to the left so it touches the driver's window. From that position, set your left side view mirror so you can see just the back corner of your car. Now lean the same distance the other way with your head between the seats and set your right side view mirror the same way.

You will need to make some slight adjustments to your side-view mirrors to make everything line up perfectly. Pulling up next to a line of parked cars (to simulate another lane of traffic next to you) or when sitting at a traffic light is a good way to do that.

The goal is to first see the cars behind you in the rear view mirror. As they pass you, as soon as the car is disappearing from the rear view mirror it should appearing in the side view mirror. As the passing car is disappearing from your side mirror it should be appearing in your peripheral vision.

As you pass another car, as soon as it is disappearing from your peripheral vision it should be appearing in the side mirror. As it is disappearing from the side mirror it should be appearing in the rear view mirror.

It will be a little disconcerting at first to drive with the side mirrors adjusted this way but once you get used to it (again, give it about one week) you may wonder why you haven't been driving this way all along.

One other note on this is that backing up (as into a parking space where you will want to see where the lines are, etc.) becomes a little side to side dance in the driver's seat so you can see the sides of the car but in reality the increased safety on the road is well worth it.

Finish The Job with $5 Stick-Ons

I am a side mirror user, but am only 5'10 (when I spike my hair) so may be different for y'all. I installed the multivex mirror only on my passenger side. Everyone says that you get used to the mulitvex mirrors within a few weeks. I can see that being the case for some, but not for me here after over a year. That being said, I felt they were convex enough to give me vastly more visualization, but always felt that if it gave me a bit more, it would be better. But more convexity would mean more difficult to focus on the objects. Yes, I did adjust them properly (Goldie Lox approach per TEG, thx) . Multivex, for me, are MUCH better than the stock.

Last month I decided to "finish the job" and get that extra visualization by getting a pair of $5 stick-on convex mirrors that are round and now occupy the outer/lower 1/5 of my side view mirrors. I am happy with the "performance" during the day, but it is a bit harder to use at night. That is probably just the presbyopia that I am experiencing. Some don't like the style, but I usually march to the beat of my own drummer; maybe that's how I came to buy a Tesla.
photo.jpg

photo-2.jpg

I think anything would help me as I'm not looking for a perfect image of the world behind my car, I'm looking for the Merc. SUV that I actually lost whilst fast merging with traffic yesterday or the poor sod in the Mazda 3 that I nearly side swiped... I even looked over my shoulder!

I usually end up car counting... I see five cars behind, two have passed me, hmm where's the other one?

So, a blurry couloured blob in the mirror = don't pull out.