Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors Interior and Exterior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another good technique, where possible, is to change lanes at full throttle. Makes it hard for them to hit you. :tongue:

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one using that technique. When you can't see what's behind you... don't let what's behind you hit you.

So when merging, I pick a vehicle that I can see. I hit the go pedal. I plan it so that I merge with my front bumper 3 inches behind that vehicle. The Roadster is such a short car, I figure no one could tailgate so close that I couldn't fit. :wink::scared:

Last edited:
Another good technique, where possible, is to change lanes at full throttle. Makes it hard for them to hit you. :tongue:

You might be half joking, but I seriously do this everytime now. I've had so many close calls in the Roadster (where I didn't see someone) that I always go full throttle when changing lanes now. If there's no room in front of me then I'll just slow down a bit first. I need to get those curved side mirrors that you guys are talking about.

You might be half joking, but I seriously do this everytime now. I've had so many close calls in the Roadster (where I didn't see someone) that I always go full throttle when changing lanes now. If there's no room in front of me then I'll just slow down a bit first. I need to get those curved side mirrors that you guys are talking about.

I was more than half joking. I do goose the throttle every time I change lanes in traffic, unless there simply isn't enough room to do it.

The Multivex mirrors are a must-have, IMHO. Set properly, there's absolutely no blind spot if you check the mirror and look over your shoulder.

I fitted mine yesterday; There's a whole world back there I haven't met!

Me, too! I removed the foam strips and used RTV silicone to get a closer fit. Perfect match - and I watch cars coming up and when I lose them in the mirror, the nose of the car is visible to me. AMAZING difference. I feel much safer (though will continue to accelerate prior to a lane change).

Me, too! I removed the foam strips and used RTV silicone to get a closer fit. Perfect match - and I watch cars coming up and when I lose them in the mirror, the nose of the car is visible to me.

Could you walk me through the installation (and let's pretend I have no idea what I am doing)? I understand that you completely removed the foam strips on the back of each mirror (I have 3 per mirror). For the RTV Silicone, did you use a product like this? Permatex RTV Silicone Adhesive (80050) - Automotive Adhesives - Ace Hardware As best I can tell, even the back of the multivex mirror is concave so how did you attach the silicone? Did you just put it on the outer edges of the back of the mirror? Or did you apply the silicone to the entire back of the mirror even if the entire back doesn't touch the existing mirror? Any other advice? Thanks!

That RTV looks okay. Do NOT put it on the whole back of the mirror - that is overkill and you'll never be able to remove it if that were ever needed. RTV is pretty strong and you don't need gobs of it.

Put a single bead of RTV on the mirror, running in a U shape along the left side, top, and right side. Leave the bottom open; it will allow for drainage in the event that moisture gets into the gap.

I used masking tape to hold the mirror in place while the RTV cured overnight.

Could you walk me through the installation (and let's pretend I have no idea what I am doing)? I understand that you completely removed the foam strips on the back of each mirror (I have 3 per mirror). For the RTV Silicone, did you use a product like this? Permatex RTV Silicone Adhesive (80050) - Automotive Adhesives - Ace Hardware As best I can tell, even the back of the multivex mirror is concave so how did you attach the silicone? Did you just put it on the outer edges of the back of the mirror? Or did you apply the silicone to the entire back of the mirror even if the entire back doesn't touch the existing mirror? Any other advice? Thanks!

Yes, I completely removed the foam strips. Even though the residue would (presumably) never be seen, I used Goo Gone Spray Gel to remove the last of the foam strip evidence. (Be careful not to ruin the mirror orientation tags on the front.)

Then, much as Doug_G outlines, I put narrow beads of RTV along the outer edges and part of the top edge of the mirrors. None along the bottom. I would have put a full bead along the top, but because of the slight curve, it's unlikely it would actually attach anything.

I used two rubber bands on each side to hold the mirrors in place while the RTV cured, but that probably wasn't necessary, since once fitted into place, everything seemed pretty solid.

If you decide you don't like them, can the RTV be easily removed? Thanks.

It should not be difficult. RTV is very commonly used for mounting optics, because it's very stable yet can be easily removed when needed.

The usual removal procedure is to slice it with a razor blade or Exacto knife. That's one good reason to keep the bead along the outside edge of the mirror.

Finally installed the multivex mirrors I bought last summer. I used the double stick tape that came mounted to the mirror to make it easier to remove if I changed my mind. I does produce a bizarre effect at first and like the instructions that come with it say, don't stare at it. After going on two quick drives, I'm starting to like it a little more. Hopefully I can remove it with the double stick tape easily and use the RTV to more permanently mount it later. I'll drive with the double stick tape for awhile and see if I get used to it.