Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors really poor in the rain, espec in the dark. Solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only had my "S" for about 6 weeks. Had my first extended driving for 3 hours in the rain today. First couple hours in rainy daylight, then in darkness. Both in light and in dark the rear view mirror gave such a distorted or camouflaged reflection of other vehicles that it was maybe only 50% as useful as any other car previously owned. Driver's side worse by far than passenger's due to the sweep of wipers pushing water off to the driver's side. Not related to inside fogging. It's all the water on the side window combined with the water on the mirror. Is both droplets (on mirror) and water flow (on the window). I can't really articulate or discern why the effectiveness so much less than prior cars I've had. No apparent film or anything on the glass. And they're fine in non-raining situations. Others note this and have any ideas? A little afraid to do a Rain-X application, don't know if that would help or be worse.

The interior rear view mirror or rear glass together "squashes" the appearance of everything so cars seems flatter and wider as seen in the rear view mirror.... and rear glass has a little ripple in it, like all glass, but is at a fairly steep angle and ripple seems "more so than other cars" is that what you mean by distortion?

Rear visibility in the model S using rearview mirror or shoulder checking out the windows is not great, especially compared to a great car in this regard - our Subaru wagon. We're spoiled in that regard.

So you have to depend more on mirrors, but can also use backup camera while driving.

RainX on the exterior mirror glass and outside windows would help.

If you have the cold weather package, you can turn on mirror heaters to defrost / demist them. Press your rear window defroster button to make mirrors come on too.

You can use the backup camera while driving to show a nice wide arc of what's behind. Mine also shows things in my blindspot so that's awesome! Better in the day, versus night when headlights glare too much. Keep your backup camera wiped clean on every stop, carry a hanky.

• Informative
Reactions: RCWtristan
Check out this article: Rainy Day Horror Story: The Blinded Man

What we usually do:
1. Using water repellents. This is a pretty good way except that the effect only lasts for a few days or weeks at most. Sometimes you just forgot to apply it and then, surprise! The rain starts to pour! Bummer.

2. Wipe the mirror clean with a cloth. Sure it helps when the rain is not too heavy. Another sure thing is that the rain drops faster than the way you wave your arm. :)

3. Use hydrophilic mirror. Suggested. Congrats if you are using this kind of mirror, but this is not applicable to every car model.

4. Side mirror shade, which helps to some degree but makes it inconvenient when folding side mirrors. It's no big deal cause we don't fold side mirrors very often. The problem is it only helps when the rain is not heavy.

5. Demister pads.

6.Saliva. Yeah. Impressive.

There's gotta be a better solution, right?

A solution that keeps your side mirrors dry and clean, allows you to see clearly and ensure you and others safety. Something that actually works, easy to apply, easy to remove, cost-effective, and durable. Does it exist?

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

This Nano hydrophilic technology anti-rain anti-glare anti-fog anti-dust side mirror protective film is all you need!

❤Step 1: Clean the mirror surface and spray water on it;
❤Step 2: Tear off the first protective membrane, spray water on it and paste to the mirror;
❤Step 3: Use the spatula to gently scrape off the bubbles and tear off the other membrane.
Tips: There are several size. You can freely cut it into pieces as needed