TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Mirror's rusted in place..?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SabrToothSqrl, May 10, 2017.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

My 2013 doesn't have power folding mirrors... (I know, FirstWorldProblems, right?)

But.. like most cars they do fold/pivot. Or, I'm pretty sure they do.

Anyway, when I was hit by a deer a few months ago, which removed the one mirror cap for me, I noticed the inside of the mirror was rusted to *beep*. Seriously. Major stupid wow rust levels. Like...Tesla didn't know.. cars get wet? Sky's blue?

Anyway, I was waxing my car last night and realized I cannot fold either mirror.

Should these things fold? Are they rusted in place? Looking under them you can see how it should pivot.

It goes (BACK) to the service center soon, (HATE these door handles). and I've asked them to look at this... hey maybe some free mirrors lol.

ANYONE who wants to go in on a kickstarter to make 'normal' car door handles to replace the Tesla Goldberg ones, LMK. Any door handle from any modern car will be just fine... I'm over the poppy slidy things and just want to be able to use my car.

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

My non-power folding mirrors on my 2013 do fold manually.

• Informative x 1
  3. SabrToothSqrl

Good to know. Mine feel like you'd break them off trying to fold them. Service Center's problem now...

4. SabrToothSqrl

They better be under warranty as well... at 46,000 miles (I'm under until 2019), the mirrors shouldn't just 'rust' in place!

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

This is what happens when a vehicle is not properly tested under different climate conditions prior to release. We can expect rusted mirrors and other region-specific problems with Model 3 because Tesla is only testing those cars in California. Never tested in snow, or in subzero weather, or around salt, or humidity, or desert heat...

• Like x 1
  6. SabrToothSqrl

I dunno.. according to the warranty "sunlight" is an "Act of God"...

Yea, they must not get rain in CA either.. the wiper motor is weaker than a battery powered toy fan.

7. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Tesla are pretty popular in Norway. We should be hearing complaints pretty loudly if they had issues in sub zero temp. I am in Canada myself but I haven't gone through a winter with the model s yet.

8. Carl

Carl Supporting Member

Had the same issue on my 2013 S. Found out last year they wouldn't fold any more. Service center appled some grease and all was well.

• Like x 1
  9. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

Corroding side view mirror brackets on norwegian cars

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

You must have missed the issue with salt corroding mirrors in Norway.

11. SabrToothSqrl

Concern: Customer states: Both side view mirrors do not fold in. (Non power folding) suspect corrosion to be not allowing them to fold in. Pay Type: Warranty Corrections: Exterior Mirrors General Diagnosis Technician found both side mirrors would not fold due to corrosion. Installed revised mirrors. Corrections: Replace 2 Exterior Mirrors; Remove Residue From 2 Doors and Mirror Frames Replaced both side view mirrors and cleaned door frames.

No muss, no fuss. Thank you Tesla!

Also, FINALLY got an AP1 loaner... put about 50 miles on it, in AP mode.

So... yea... 2019 I'll be buying another Tesla lol.