Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors unfold behavior changed a few weeks ago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my mirrors set to always fold when I get home. Works great. I pull up in my driveway, mirrors fold and garage door opens. When I would leave I walk up to car, doors unlock and mirrors stay folded until I drive away from my home.

Several weeks ago, this stopped working as described. Although the setting to "always fold at this location" is set, they will unfold as soon as I walk upto the car to drive away. Meaning they are unfolded when I backup out of my garage.

How do I get them back? I tried removing the always fold at this location setting. Driving away, Leaving it alone for a day, reset the setting, everything. But it always unfolds when I unlock. How do I get it back to how it worked before?

I have my mirrors set to always fold when I get home. Works great. I pull up in my driveway, mirrors fold and garage door opens. When I would leave I walk up to car, doors unlock and mirrors stay folded until I drive away from my home.

Several weeks ago, this stopped working as described. Although the setting to "always fold at this location" is set, they will unfold as soon as I walk upto the car to drive away. Meaning they are unfolded when I backup out of my garage.

How do I get them back? I tried removing the always fold at this location setting. Driving away, Leaving it alone for a day, reset the setting, everything. But it always unfolds when I unlock. How do I get it back to how it worked before?
Just a thought, but do you have multiple profiles? One for Easy Entry? Make sure the settings are the same for both Easy Entry and your standard driving profile.

Reactions: Oldmanelectron
I've had this issue since 2017. I manually fold the mirrors so they're supposed to stay closed until I manually reopen. Instead, they would auto unfold. Sometimes, if I return to my car a short time after parking, the mirrors would stay closed. However, overnight, the mirrors would auto unfold. This happened even after I upgraded the MCU.

I double checked the Easy Entry profile and it has the always fold setting turned on.

I reset the car this morning and will see what happens.

I've had this issue since 2017. I manually fold the mirrors so they're supposed to stay closed until I manually reopen. Instead, they would auto unfold. Sometimes, if I return to my car a short time after parking, the mirrors would stay closed. However, overnight, the mirrors would auto unfold. This happened even after I upgraded the MCU.

This more accurately describes what I have been experience for the past several weeks. The issue is when I get in the car after an overnight.

So this led me to dig into more on why behind this. A few nights ago I forgot to plug in, and the mirrors were folded. Gave me a hunch. FOr the next 2 days I made sure to plug it in, and mirrors were unfolded the following morning. Last night I made sure to leave it unplugged and mirrors were folded this morning.

So it seems this has to do with the charge cycle. When the car does a charge, it's almost like it forgets that setting and unfolds my mirrors. (fwiw: I only charge to about 60%)

This only started happening a few weeks ago. I can't say the exact date, but I want to say early September.

• Informative
Reactions: tranzndance
Seems like normal behavior. Tesla changed that around 2 years ago in a software update. Before the update the mirrors did not unfold until placing the gear selector in drive (if I remember correctly). After the update it started unfolding as soon as the door handles present when approaching the car with the fob. Not sure why your car did not get this change till recently.

Seems like normal behavior. Tesla changed that around 2 years ago in a software update. Before the update the mirrors did not unfold until placing the gear selector in drive (if I remember correctly). After the update it started unfolding as soon as the door handles present when approaching the car with the fob. Not sure why your car did not get this change till recently.

If you have “always fold at this location” set they should stay folded until you start driving. This still works today in all other situations, except when the car is plugged in and charged. Which is the subject of my post.

Reactions: Bigtanuki
If you have “always fold at this location” set they should stay folded until you start driving. This still works today in all other situations, except when the car is plugged in and charged. Which is the subject of my post.

I started seeing the same behavior a few weeks ago too. I didn't make the connection to charging until I saw your post. Hopefully will get fixed on a future update.