Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors unfold "randomly" in my garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes the software governing the mirror folding is a joke. It is totally random in my vehicle: sometimes it works, sometimes id does so but at the wrong time, sometimes pressing a door handle folds or unfolds the mirror on one side, etc etc. But it's always been like that, not just after an update.

I've changed software updates to standard and not advanced about a year ago. It seems since the last update my mirrors now have a mind of their own, especially in my garage. Unfortunately my single car bay opening is a bit tight for a wide body car like the Model S, so from day one I've always folded the mirrors manually before entering. With the past software updates, the mirrors fold before entry about 95% of the time. That's pretty cool!
However, better than 75% of the time the mirrors are unfolded when I enter the garage the next day. There's no reason to unfold until I leave the garage and drive down the street! Is there a fix coming, or have I been ghosted by a gremlin that won't leave :eek:

You’ve got the gremlin. As far as I know there’s been no attempt to fix this behavior. Mine has acted that way for a long time through many software updates.

Reactions: Wol747
However, better than 75% of the time the mirrors are unfolded when I enter the garage the next day.
I have had this problem for several years. When the mirrors mysteriously unfold in the garage it also seems to be correlated with the alarm going off when I open an unlocked door.

I have PTSD over this. When I go out and see the mirrors unfolded I literally close my eyes when I open the door waiting for the alarm to start.

I've taken this in many times and kept a detailed log of the times it has happened. Tesla has given up diagnosing the problem.

So frustrating.

I keep my Model S unlocked in my garage via the "Exclude Home" setting on Walk-Away Door Lock This means the mirrors never fold in the first place, and the alarm can't go off.

(I can't keep my Model X unlocked when in our garage because of the problem I described in Driver profile selection difference between S and X ("Exclude Home" in Walk-Away Door Lock))
I keep mine in the garage, unlocked and with the mirrors folded by the GPS as I go in. They always do fold - but after that it's random.

I keep mine in the garage, unlocked and with the mirrors folded by the GPS as I go in. They always do fold - but after that it's random.

That's my experience as well. Here's what I've noticed (auto-fold refers to GPS)

Walk-away Lock:Yes.................... Auto-Fold:Yes.... Result: Stays folded, random unfold when I start car
Walk-away Lock:Exclude Home.. Auto-Fold:Yes.... Result: Random unfold when car unoccupied
Walk-away Lock:Exclude Home.. Auto-Fold:No..... Result: Random unfold when car unoccupied

For me, I have to leave walk-away lock enabled at home to prevent the car from unfolding the mirrors when no one's in it. There are more variations I could try, of course, but I haven't been willing to dedicate the time.

Just a thought, but has anyone saved the mirrors folded to the Easy Exit profile?

I would also include the same save to the active driver profile. Heck, maybe all/any profiles in there too.

As I recall the sequence of events, the car is going to default to Easy Exit profile, as you enter the car. And then, if fob is handy, the car responses to that fob to pick the driver profile it uses.

Makes me wonder the behavior of that happens when you enter without a key card or fob. Just get in and sit. What do folded mirrors do? If Easy Exit profile does not have them saved, folded, would it unfold, even without a fob close by?

Note: This part of my post does not apply to the mirror. Sometimes we just don't connect the dots to the actions that are occurring.
Years ago, there was an odd unlocking behavior that 1) no longer occurs, 2) we could not figure out at first. The odd behavior was sometimes the car was unlocked when we thought it was locked. Long before we could except "home" from walk away locking, there was a behavior of the car and the fob that we didn't see.

Used to be, and no longer is: if your car was locked and you walked up with fob, and the door presented, AND you didn't open any door, BUT simply walked off (the handles closed) but - your car would remain unlocked, it did not auto re-lock on its own. Most of us didn't even know it was happening. Because the handles auto presented and we did not complete the cycle by pulling a handle and opening the door, before we walked off, the cars door remained unlocked. We could click the fob and lock, but we didn't know we needed to click it. The car could remain unlocked all day - or - heaven forbid - some random person walked by and for fun touched a handle. It would auto present (because it was unlocked) and pull a door open. The random person might not be a thief, but just a random person that stumbled upon an unlocked Tesla. You can imagine the worse case that likely happened. This went on from first new cars until about late 2014 or early 2015, as I recall. And I think it simply stopped this behavior with the implementation of allowing us to leave the car unlocked at home.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MitchMitch
I have the same issue - TESLA please send a real fix and not a try this - try that - that is very unnatural. I have tried lots of different things reset everything and then set to autofold again. Saved profiles lots of times and nothing seems to work. They randomly unfold for no particular reason. Very annoying. Guess I am just turning autofold off and manually folding all the time, That seems to work. Autofold is useless if it does not work and it does not work...

Same issue - I spoke with customer service yesterday they think it may be the map software which only uploads every two years. The map s/w in my car was last uploaded Nov 2020 about a years ago and the time I first noticed the problem. They suggested I make a request to have the map software reloaded, which I did. Stay tuned.

Did anyone find a solution to this problem. Tesla service said they verified the map software on my car is ok. I don't believe they actually reloaded the software, but rather verified it is not corrupt.

No solution here. I noticed that my mirrors have stayed folded since I got the latest update a few days ago, but that could be random. I need more time to see if it persists (I’m not holding my breath).

The map suggestion sounds pretty unlikely to me. I think they were desperate to give you something to try.

Reactions: Wol747
For anyone still following this thread, I think I stumbled upon a solution: If you have spotty Wifi wherever your car is parked, try turning off Wifi or "forgetting" your home network in the car so it doesn't try to connect to the bad/spotty Wifi signal.

I've noticed that when the mirrors "mysteriously unfold" in the garage overnight, it coincides with the car's location and status not being able to refresh/update in the app. (I tend to check the app at night to see my charge levels for the next day, as I only use 120v charging).

2 days ago the app completely failed to connect to the car, and showed a window open when it wasn't. I got in the car to drive away and noticed that it was connected to WiFi, but the icon showed a very weak signal - so weak, in fact, that it couldn't search on the map, or uplink with Tesla's servers to provide status and location updates, or even check for software updates. My garage is not attached to my house, and my Wifi doesn't extend there (I have to pull my MS up to the house to download software updates) - but for some reason the MS was hanging on to that Wifi signal for dear life.

I suspected that maybe something was going on where the MS was trying to "phone home" with its location, failing to do so, and then somehow "forgetting" it was at home (where auto-fold mirrors was enabled). Obviously, it shouldn't need to do this with the GPS and maps and software all onboard - but who knows what wacky code Tesla does behind the scenes... Anyway, I told my MS to "forget" my home Wifi network and thus remain connected to LTE when it's in the garage -- and voila, mirrors now stay folded. Also can reliably wake the MS when it's in the garage and get its location/status consistently with the app.

Others may have mirror issues resulting from other problems, but this fixed mine -- so thought I'd let you all know.

Interesting observation. My Wifi signal is fine in the garage (note - you're may have trouble getting FW updates without Wifi), so I don't think it's that for me. Mine is still random. I notice that if I get back in the car relatively quickly (i.e., it doesn't have time to go to sleep) then the mirrors seem to stay folded, but honestly - who knows?

Interesting observation. My Wifi signal is fine in the garage (note - you're may have trouble getting FW updates without Wifi), so I don't think it's that for me. Mine is still random. I notice that if I get back in the car relatively quickly (i.e., it doesn't have time to go to sleep) then the mirrors seem to stay folded, but honestly - who knows?
Mine too - it's on an extender (for my solar panels) and only five feet from the car.

>>Others may have mirror issues resulting from other problems, but this fixed mine -- so thought I'd let you all know.<<

Still have random foldings/unfoldings - every so often if I open the passenger door by touching its handle the pax mirror unfolds. Just that one...

I've had something similar a few times, but with the mirrors tilting between reverse and drive (mirrors stayed tilted down after shifting to drive). Haven't seen it in a while though. What software are you on?
Just in case you didn't already know; each position you put your mirrors in, you need to save the profile. Example:
Driving forward, you want the mirrors "up", so put the car in P or D, and save the profile.
Then, put the car in R, and position the mirrors where you want them. Then save the profile. Then, put the car in P or D (not before saving profile.