TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mirrors won't auto-tilt

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by MBCMDR, Jun 29, 2013.

1. MBCMDR

MBCMDR Member

Anyone have this issue sure something minor..

Mirrors do not tilt on backup but are On and should.

2. swegman

swegman Member

My mirrors did not tilt when I picked up my car. The service center had to connect the car to their computer and set a toggle in the car's software, which setting is not user accessible. Has worked properly since.

3. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I'm sure I am the only one who didn't realize that it's a setting tied to your driver profile... Once you have selected the profile you want to set it on, put the car in reverse, adjust the mirrors where you want them to be for backing up, then save the profile again.

4. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

I had the same problem. When I got the car, I set the mirror to tilt. At some point however, it stopped doing it. So, while waiting in traffic yesterday I put the car in reverse and directed the mirror to the ground. I then saved it, put the car back in drive, and the mirror reverted. Now it tilts down in reverse every time. Freaked out the guy behind me though :)

5. MBCMDR

MBCMDR Member

I forgot to reply that your post was very helpful put in reverse set mirrors then saved profile, put in drive and mirrors pop back to normal and now they work in reverse too... Many thz..

6. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Just paying it forward... I had seen another thread here with that same issue/solution and it helped me. Glad that was the case for you as well!

7. metafor

metafor Member

Only my right mirror tilts; not the left one. Is that normal?

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Both should tilt, but you have to set them separately.

9. metafor

metafor Member

How do I set it? I only see the option to enable auto-tilting mirrors...

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Put your car in reverse and set both mirrors. Should see a save or restore button pop up under your driver profile at the top.

11. metafor

metafor Member

Ahh, got it! Thanks! Where do you all like to keep yours while in reverse? It's useful to have it point at the wheels on the right side but on the left, I think I'd like to see straight behind me.

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Try pointing them down so you can see the side of the rear wheels. I basically look for the parking lines to see if I am backing up straight.

13. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Back when I had auto-tilting mirrors (grumble grumble grumble) I would have my driver's mirror tilt slightly in and slightly down, to have the car in the mirror as a reference. And also because I typically shift to the middle of the car, to look out the back window, when backing and this compensated for the position shift also.

The rear passenger mirror would tilt down to see the rear wheel on the ground, so way down and way in. Also adjusting for my backing position.

I was on the fence about the mirrors auto-tilt. They help in some situations, but I find they also made things more difficult. Backing into my garage was made harder when tilting the mirrors towards the ground. But made parking within lines much easier. But Tesla thankfully :)rolleyes::confused:) took away auto-tilt mirrors from me, and I think every other person that got cloth (non-memory) seats. So I just sit with them normal all the time.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

My auto tilt mirrors stopped working the other day. i turned them off and on again and they started working again.

The next day they stopped working again, and nothing I've tried has worked. Any suggestions?

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Did you try rebooting the displays?

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Of course.

17. apaloma

apaloma Member

I've had this issue at least twice now. The most recent time, flipping the setting off and on did not correct it. Not sure what might've caused the issue.

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Had this happen again. I figured out how to fix it.

1. Turn auto tilt off
    2. Turn auto tilt on
    3. Select Reverse and adjust mirror
    4. Select Park or Forward. Mirror will not move; readjust normal pointing.
    5. Auto-tilt will now work. You will have to do this for both mirrors
    6. Save to Profile

19. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

I had auto-tilt taking away too via software update. I'm not at all happy about this. My feeling is that this feature was present and operable on my car when I took delivery. This feature needs to be restored on my car. I've inquired last week with my service center. I have confidence TM will do the right thing...

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

What? You can't get the auto-tilt feature working by going into the controls and turning it off/on?

What firmware version update number caused the loss of your auto-tilt?

I started on 5.8.4 and am now on 5.8.8. No problems with auto-tilt.