Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors won't auto-tilt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What? You can't get the auto-tilt feature working by going into the controls and turning it off/on?

What firmware version update number caused the loss of your auto-tilt?

I started on 5.8.4 and am now on 5.8.8. No problems with auto-tilt.

If FredTMC is like me he has the Tech Package (required for auto tilt) but also has cloth seats (first generation) that did not have memory. And thus does not have driver profiles, and thus no 'auto tilt' button on his settings menus.

That is the case for me.

My auto tilt worked before the 4.X update.

I'll report that I had my car in for service about a month and a half ago. And the SC was able (apparently with many communications with Fremont) to enable user profiles for me. So I do have auto-tilt mirrors (and my wife has mirror, map, and other settings). Apparently they were writing up a TSB for people with the Tech package, and cloth seats w/o memory. To where you could get driver profiles.

I haven't had a firmware update since they got fixed. So I can't comment on having to re-set them.

And they almost completely reset my learning curve to backing into my garage. But backing into parking spots in general is much easier!

@ElSupreme - What has been your experience since the SC made this change? Surely you've gotten a firmware update or two in the time that has passed.

I have a similar configuration and would love to have profiles to change seating positions between drivers.

I'll report that I had my car in for service about a month and a half ago. And the SC was able (apparently with many communications with Fremont) to enable user profiles for me. So I do have auto-tilt mirrors (and my wife has mirror, map, and other settings). Apparently they were writing up a TSB for people with the Tech package, and cloth seats w/o memory. To where you could get driver profiles.

I haven't had a firmware update since they got fixed. So I can't comment on having to re-set them.

And they almost completely reset my learning curve to backing into my garage. But backing into parking spots in general is much easier!

What is "TSB"?

I received my car in Jan 2013. I have cloth seats without memory...will I be able to have driver profiles? (mirrors?)

@ElSupreme - What has been your experience since the SC made this change? Surely you've gotten a firmware update or two in the time that has passed.

I have a similar configuration and would love to have profiles to change seating positions between drivers.

I have had a few software updates. I still have my driver's profiles. The have some driving/display settings stored. As well as mirror positions stored. If you have the 1st generation cloth seats (without heated seats) you will not be able to get stored seating positions, because the seats lack encoders and the car has no idea what position it is in at any given time.

What is "TSB"?

I received my car in Jan 2013. I have cloth seats without memory...will I be able to have driver profiles? (mirrors?)

From what I was told they were creating a TSB (Nigel is correct about what it is) for people with the Tech Package, and with the first generation (non-heated) cloth seats, that don't have driver's profiles. I have no idea if the TSB was actually created.

My experience with TSBs (not with Tesla) is that you really need to indicate an issue/problem with your car first. And have them look for an applicable TSB to fix the issue.

A quick list:

You MUST have purchased the TECH PACKAGE to get driver's profiles.
If you don't have driver's profiles it is probably due to 1st gen (non-heated) cloth seats. These were physically different seats, and lack the ability to have seat memory.
If you don't have driver's profiles then ask about them before you bring in your car. It took 2 extra days for them to fix my driver's profiles, than the other warranty repair I was getting.

If you don't get anywhere with your service center give me a PM and I will call up the people in Atlanta that got my car resolved and have them call your Tesla service people.

When I got mine fixed I was told there were single digit number of cars (that Tesla could identify) with the same issue that my car had.

- - - Updated - - -

This is interesting. I've gone thru several updates (got car in Oct 2012), but I don't recall ever losing my RV mirror settings. I wonder what causes this to occur in only some cars.

It was primarily due to the 1st generation cloth seats. These seats were physically different parts, and lacked the ability (some encoder or position sensor feedback) to have location memory. Due to not having seat memory I was never given driver's profiles. When 4.5 (I think) software came out, auto tilting mirrors were incorporated into drivers profiles (or driver's profiles were added to the software) and I lost the feature.

Having mirror memory, and driver's settings memory is wonderful. Especially now that my wife and I are going to share the Model S for the 2014/15 school year.