Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Misaligned roof window at delivery. SC trying to tell me warranty will shorten if replaced.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my July 2019 Model 3 roof looks similar. not an issue imho.

if they end up fixing it under warranty - no way will it shorten the overall 4yr bumper to bumper to just 1yr... that's nonsense.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Tesla says "within spec" and won't touch it

also - getting that glass panel removed, replaced, re-sealed ... likely will cause more issues than it does fix. Service Centers aren't known for being very delicate or great with those kind of things.... all i can see is broken off clips and rattling interior trim pieces after they replace that glass panel ;)

also - getting that glass panel removed, replaced, re-sealed ... likely will cause more issues than it does fix. Service Centers aren't known for being very delicate or great with those kind of things.... all i can see is broken off clips and rattling interior trim pieces after they replace that glass panel ;)

I’ve had no trouble with mine since it was replaced roughly 4 years ago. I think SCs are actually pretty good at this since it’s a pretty straight forward procedure (easiest glass on the car and glass R&R is among the easiest tasks - why Safelight can do it in your work parking lot).

Reactions: Solor
This is good info. I guess I got lucky with mine as it is aligned, but knowing what I know now, I would reject delivery if mine was that bad, if there is a next time. Did you find any other issues with the car? What about inside? do all the Panel trims line up well?

I am not sure if it matters but when they called me to confirm delivery, I had asked them to make sure all panels were aligned, or I would not be taking the car... probably made no difference but I told them anyway :)
That said, if they told me they would take care of it later I would have most likely taken delivery and been in the same situations.

Moral of the story, as hard as it is to do, don't take delivery and wait for the next one.
What is funny is that I thought the panel gaps were actually really good but for the hell of it, I mentioned that the hood and a taillight could have a look. They noted that they adjusted the hood and taillight when they were barely off. Obviously nothing compared to my roof.

As of now, there were iron specs (yellow dots) randomly on my paint and they ended up taking it to a body shop to get wet sanded and buffed. It came back with swirl marks and a chip on the trunk’s pillar. When the glovebox opens, some part in top back stays open and clicks closed eventually. I showed the CS guy and he said, “nah you have to let the car settle and see if it corrects itself. Or just wait till more things pop-up and bring it back”.

Just everything about this SC is so bad. I think Tesla service has had my car longer than me at this point. When I have been able to drive it, it’s great. My wife drove it to work for one day and came back saying, “ok, I get why this car is fun now.”

Reactions: Ital
What is funny is that I thought the panel gaps were actually really good but for the hell of it, I mentioned that the hood and a taillight could have a look. They noted that they adjusted the hood and taillight when they were barely off. Obviously nothing compared to my roof.

As of now, there were iron specs (yellow dots) randomly on my paint and they ended up taking it to a body shop to get wet sanded and buffed. It came back with swirl marks and a chip on the trunk’s pillar. When the glovebox opens, some part in top back stays open and clicks closed eventually. I showed the CS guy and he said, “nah you have to let the car settle and see if it corrects itself. Or just wait till more things pop-up and bring it back”.

Just everything about this SC is so bad. I think Tesla service has had my car longer than me at this point. When I have been able to drive it, it’s great. My wife drove it to work for one day and came back saying, “ok, I get why this car is fun now.”
My wife has not showed any interest in wanting to drive the tesla, and I am not pushing her hard either.
I could set some time aside to show her how the tesla works, but to be honest I am a bit afraid she will get it scratched.
I usually dont care but I like this car... :)

Well you have to have enough space for the clips to go in on
the sides . I watched mobile service struggle to get one side it so and
abort was better than a broken roof glass, so did he.
But it turns out the Panic was unwarranted. The Tech that
came out to put mine in didn't have as much experience as
the Servcie Center. I asked them to look at something else in
the App and they moved my service appointment to a different
place Gilroy. So I drove over there and the manager told me
he could put it on . So they had the clips on in like 20 minutes and the
whole thing in place not to long after that. They gave it a shake or
two and I could tell is was on solid and correct.
I mentioned the name of the Field Tech and they kind of laughed.
So the Roof Rack is on and mounted by them it look's solid so
I am happy .
Also the manager told me it was impossible for the roof to be off
center as it is pinned. Aslo manager at Gilroy said it was faster to get stuff done there as opposed to South Bay.

Last edited:
“Chances are in the next year or two you will need to replace at least 1 or 2 of these glass panels anyway…”

I’ve had my M3 since June of 2019. I’ve never replaced any glass. What do you mean by that comment?

I agree BS from delivery team who want to check their boxes. Refuse delivery (I have despite a lot of pressure from them) Service rep was a lot better

Reactions: Ami-Sven
That's normal alignment. Not good, but normal.

The problem isn't the alignment, it's that the roof glass is not the same width as the other glass so they usually just align the driver's side to make it less noticeable. I have seen some 2022 models with properly sized/aligned glass so it's likely just supplier variation. As such, it's possible that a replacement would be the same.

Someone misunderstood how warranties work. The replacement would have a 1-year warranty or remainder of the original warranty - whichever is *greater*.

Yeah my roof is skewed I bought some gap gauges to confirm what I had
measured with my micrometer. bought these gap gauges on amazon they
confirm 2mm at the front left and 7mm at the front right and the back is pretty
even so it can be skewed despite the pegging.

Attachments

• Right side from front.jpg
    Right side from front.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Left Side from front.jpg
    Left Side from front.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230410_114519.jpg
    20230410_114519.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 67
looks like this is coming in batches
I so don't feel alone now.
Also the Driver's side is the one that is most out.
They sell the noise kits that puts a rubber strip in , that might hide it.
Most car makers have those rubber strips in at least on the top
and sides of the windshield and some have them down the length of
the roof.

So this may be a design feature! Yikes I heard they may have been changing glass suppliers some where on the Internet. My main concern is that the glass isn't to biased to one side to rub against the Roof Rack Clips causing the glass to break .
I followed all the misaligned panels stuff and thought they had things under better control by now , and it seems they do not perfect but better. Of course they will say
it meets Tesla Spec.

I suspect the Robot that places these on the vehicle is only aligning
to one side and not taking into account that the Glass itself is out of Spec.
Out of Spec as far as being the same width in front and back .

I have a hard time believing glass could be the "wrong size", unless they're using different sized glass (e.g. different supplies or "give us all the windshields between X and Y width).

This would still be a manufacturing defect for Tesla though... the glass should be centered. Not a fixed distance from the left edge and with variable width glass.

We could measure our roof glass and see. Mine is very well centered. I have a hard time understanding how with robots assembling these, they could have this much variation in quality.