Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Misaligned tailgate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckwong

Mar 15, 2017
NJ
Has this happen to anyone and what was the fix for it? I went in for service a couple of weeks ago due to a 4 inch scratch on the tailgate glass during delivery and also needed a spoiler replaced. After these items were replaced I noticed my tailgate is misaligned big time (right hand side huge gap and sticking up about half an inch)! :mad:
I asked a senior tech if they had to take out the tailgate in order to replace the glass and was told no. He try his best to align it but still not perfect and suggested I make an apt to bring it in. I bought it in on Monday and now I'm told they have to order a brand new glass and spoiler to fix the misaligned tailgate...WTF??? I don't understand why they can't use the same glass and spoiler! The wait time for the parts is around 1-2 weeks so which means I would have to make another SC apt. which will be my 4th in less then 2 months of ownership! :(

model x seems to be notorious for fitment issues. id assume there is something physically wrong with the current tailgate to which they cannot align it so a new one is needed.

at least they are willing to fix it and youre not out of pocket.

The tailgate was perfectly fine before replacing the glass and spoiler. It is after replacing it I notice the misalignment. The SA said the tailgate will not be replaced but they order some parts for the tailgate (something to do with bolts). I agree with @outie that it makes no sense to replace the glass and spoiler to fix the alignment.

I had a similar issue, my right tailgate was about half an inch higher than the body (left side was level with the body). SC told me they had to order a part (which was back ordered) and didn't say what and I didn't think to ask since I was in the middle of something. After 3 weeks the part arrived and they told me they had to send the spoiler (which apparently was the part ordered) out to the body shop to be painted because it doesn't come painted from the factory (+4 days). Then yesterday they told me the day I was supposed to pick up the car that the car had to go to the body shop. I told them with all the trips to they body shop, their techs were probably putting on more miles on my X than I was. When they text me again with an update, I'll ask them why the car needed to go to the body shop ...o_O

when I had my spoiler replaced the first time they said the body shop has to paint it and let it cure. Once that is complete then they will deliver the spoiler to the SC for the installation. So the car never had to leave the SC but I guess it depends on how far the body shop is from your SC.

I had a similar issue, my right tailgate was about half an inch higher than the body (left side was level with the body). SC told me they had to order a part (which was back ordered) and didn't say what and I didn't think to ask since I was in the middle of something. After 3 weeks the part arrived and they told me they had to send the spoiler (which apparently was the part ordered) out to the body shop to be painted because it doesn't come painted from the factory (+4 days). Then yesterday they told me the day I was supposed to pick up the car that the car had to go to the body shop. I told them with all the trips to they body shop, their techs were probably putting on more miles on my X than I was. When they text me again with an update, I'll ask them why the car needed to go to the body shop ...o_O

My tailgate has been opening/closing weird since I got my X a month ago. Looks to me like it was aligned too far right, and would shake everytime it latched/unlated.

Took it in Friday, it's still there but I'm now waiting on a new headliner. They had told me they were "having issues" aligning the tailgate late Friday, so god only knows whats happened since.

Has this happen to anyone and what was the fix for it? I went in for service a couple of weeks ago due to a 4 inch scratch on the tailgate glass during delivery and also needed a spoiler replaced. After these items were replaced I noticed my tailgate is misaligned big time (right hand side huge gap and sticking up about half an inch)! :mad:
I asked a senior tech if they had to take out the tailgate in order to replace the glass and was told no. He try his best to align it but still not perfect and suggested I make an apt to bring it in. I bought it in on Monday and now I'm told they have to order a brand new glass and spoiler to fix the misaligned tailgate...WTF??? I don't understand why they can't use the same glass and spoiler! The wait time for the parts is around 1-2 weeks so which means I would have to make another SC apt. which will be my 4th in less then 2 months of ownership! :(

Intersting issue here, I actually saw your vehicle parked at the Paramus SC/Showroom, Very nice wrap and great choice!

Im considering purchasing a model X, but seeing your issues and the issues with the Paramus SC and not having loaners is putting me off a bit. Any updates on fixes would be appreciated

Intersting issue here, I actually saw your vehicle parked at the Paramus SC/Showroom, Very nice wrap and great choice!

Im considering purchasing a model X, but seeing your issues and the issues with the Paramus SC and not having loaners is putting me off a bit. Any updates on fixes would be appreciated

Thanks Robert! I see you are new to TMC, so welcome. Before I purchase the MX I read a lot of negative comments/issues from this forum but please don't get discourage from it. Like many people here have said Tesla is a very young car manufacture and it will take time for them to learn from their mistakes. I have learned you have to have patience when buying a Tesla with all these minor issues which it will get fixed but just very annoying.
My vin is 46xxx so the built quality has vastly improved from the earlier vins with all the FWD misaligned among other issues. There is no other car manufacturer out there now with this type of technology. Every time I see an update it's like driving a new car! You should definitely request for a 24hrs test drive and you will see what an amazing car this is! ;) I'll report back on how the fixes are going.