Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Misbehaving charge port, Key fob culprit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
Tldr: funky charge port behavior? Change the fob battery

Model Xwas fine last night. Plugged in wall charger this morning at 36% in 50°F garage. Ring lights flashed briefly green then white. Removed unlocked charger and closed the port door manually and also again from the touchscreen but both times it just reopened spontaneously. Drove the car down the driveway and back with the charge port door open. Various levels of reset did not fix the problem as the charge port door opened again moments after repowering.

I recall reading somewhere on this forum (that I have not been able to find) someone had a similar problem and the culprit was the key fob sending a persistent signal. In my case the fob and the charge port behaved normally after changing to a fresh fob battery. The second less-used key fob did not cause this problem which helped locate the trouble.

I did not try to unlink the key fob—that would’ve been next. Service was anticipating a service center visit for a new fob since reprogramming which cannot be done by mobile service. Fortunately there was an easier fix.

So the point was the car wasn’t really unlocked? I would assume (lol) you could unlock it with the app and then control the charge port just fine. I think I’ve done that...

People of course drive the car without the fob at all if they are brave enough. NOT recommended. I might do this for testing with the fob in its faraday bag (where it lives in the kitchen since too close to the garage...).

Point was as long as the fob was near the car the charge port door was constantly being told to open and release the charger.
I was able to use the app and the port behaved after I hid the bad-battery fob away from the car.
Many places I drive don’t have cell service for either the car or my phone or both so cannot rely on the phone and glad this happened while still in my garage.