TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Misc. FOB opens doors/starts car intermittently, anyone else see this?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by NoMoGas, Dec 7, 2014.

1. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

I have multiple Model S's and as a result 8 fob's total. Weird thing started up a few days ago. The 2013 fob is intermittantly unlocking the 2014, one time allowing the car to start but other times just opening the doors. The cars fob's were nowhere near so it's not an error ... it's happened 4 times now including the first time at Tesla Svc Center (didn't understand what was happening then as it was the first time it happened so we assumed the fob was nearby somehow...) now it's a pattern.

Anyone else hear of this?

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

What did the Service Center say?

3. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Send me a couple extra Model S and I will gladly check this out for you...of course it may take a few months of intense experimentation. :wink:

4. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

I have a young daughter, so I spend many hours sitting in the car in my garage or in a parking lot while she is sleeping. And it's happened many times that out of nowhere, the car will act like someone "unlocked" it. Door handles pop out and lights turn on. I always suspected it was reacting to someone else's fob somewhere? But I can't prove or reproduce it at will.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

That's a known "feature"; the car recognizes the key but can't tell if it's inside or outside the car. The feature stops you locking the key in the car (mostly....there are spots in the trunk where the key might not be recognized).

6. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Gremlis :) SC not sure yet. Glad to see its a rare occurance, but weird .