Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miscalculated sales tax?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at my purchase agreement, the vehicle price is $57290.00. (LR AWD, blue/black, 18” wheels, FSD at $8k price)

Vehicle privilege tax is 0.5% on new cars here in Oregon. So that should be $286.45. But Tesla actually charged me $286.46. There are no other line items that would explain the extra amount.

I’m not going to bug Tesla over a penny since it’s not worth my time or theirs, but I’m curious if anyone else has seen similar errors on their purchase agreement. Maybe someone did the math by hand and typed in the wrong number (would surprise me because I assumed this is all automated.)

Are you joking? Or perhaps rubbing in the fact that you live in a non sales tax state? Either way, I’d totally complain to Tesla..... it’d be one thing if they made the error in your favor, but to charge you an extra penny........ where do they get off?

No...I thought I made it pretty clear that I don’t think it’s a problem worth bugging Tesla about. Just curious if anyone here has seen worse errors on their purchase agreements. Personally I thought it was useful to give folks a heads-up that these seem to be manually entered and to check for typos, in case they’re off by far more than mine.

Edit: And FYI, while I may pay less sales tax than others here, I pay much more in income and property tax than I would in most states.

Looking at my purchase agreement, the vehicle price is $57290.00. (LR AWD, blue/black, 18” wheels, FSD at $8k price)

Vehicle privilege tax is 0.5% on new cars here in Oregon. So that should be $286.45. But Tesla actually charged me $286.46. There are no other line items that would explain the extra amount.

I’m not going to bug Tesla over a penny since it’s not worth my time or theirs, but I’m curious if anyone else has seen similar errors on their purchase agreement. Maybe someone did the math by hand and typed in the wrong number (would surprise me because I assumed this is all automated.)

this is a dumb post. But you’re probably leaving out the $100 order fee in your math

this is a dumb post. But you’re probably leaving out the $100 order fee in your math

That would come out to an extra $0.50 in sales tax, not $0.01. It’d require a $2 line item, and there’s nothing like that...seems like a typo.

I agree this is kinda a dumb post, but hey, maybe someone else checked the math on their sales agreement after my dumb post and found an actual issue.