TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Misinformation at another forum

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SageBrush, Mar 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

#1 SageBrush, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
    I occasionally scan a Volt forum but do not post.
    Today Jeff Cobb wrote a long article implying that no one would succeed in receiving the full $7500 federal tax credit for the base Model 3, based on the guesses of one person aka 'analyst'.

Now, I figure everybody has a right to guess but I'm riled by a basic misunderstanding of how the EV credit phase-out is currently implemented: the article is predicated on Tesla sale #200,001 missing out, when in fact the full credit will be available for a full quarter year AFTER the quarter in which the #200,000th sale in the US is made.

If Tesla is successful in its Model 3 ramp-up and they game the timing of their 200,000th US sale to day #1 of a quarter, they may well sell over 100,000 cars with a full federal rebate. Time will tell, but there is no reason to peddle in clueless-ness in the meantime.

Mod edit: removed other forum's specifics.

• Like x 1
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

This sentence
    "If Tesla is successful in its Model 3 ramp-up and they game the timing of their 200,000th US sale to day #1 of a quarter, they may well sell over 100,000 cars with a full federal rebate. Time will tell, but there is no reason to peddle in clueless-ness in the meantime."

needs clarity:
    "If Tesla is successful in its Model 3 ramp-up and they game the timing of their 200,000th US sale to day #1 of a quarter, they may well sell another 100,000+ cars with a full federal rebate after US sale 200k. Time will tell, but there is no reason to peddle in clueless-ness in the meantime.

3. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Brigading other forums is always a bad idea. We don't want to this done here, and we don't want to do this elsewhere. I hope moderators will delete this thread.

• Like x 2
  4. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

I don't see anything wrong with educating people when they are confused in other forums. What's the internet for anyway other than to make other people wrong and yourself right?

There's a thread here that analyzes the tax credit rules and tesla US sales and gives reasonable projections about how it will be available to the early model 3 buyers

5. JoaoD

JoaoD Member

You can educate people in the forum where this was first posted. You won't be educating anyone if you carry a post over a forum and reply there.

6. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

I understanding "brigading" to encourage others to go to another site to condemn, harass, contradict, etc., a post or thread or theme. I never got that that was what the OP was suggesting or encouraging. Indeed, my take on his effort was, basically, to leave that other thread alone in the mistaken beliefs. BHZMARK, in fact, suggests that the OP should do MORE to keep his qualms on the other site.

By contrast, I found the OP's comment here interesting -- that a poster on another site was getting this aspect of the rebate so wrong -- and have no difficulty with it being here. And I DO intend to follow the link to the other site, as I was unaware of it, because it is often interesting to see what folks on the other side of the fence are thinking and saying as a way of holding up my own thought process to the scrutiny of those who may be seeing things differently.

7. schonelucht

That's not a problem at all. OP could have easily done that in a well sourced post linking the relevant government pages and be done with it. Instead he felt the need to encourage the large reader reader base of TMC to go over there and do so en mass. That's not education but rather harassment cloaked under a pretense of education.

8. schonelucht

The title of this thread is quite literally what you are describing.

9. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Perhaps I need a better understanding of "FUD."

10. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

mod note: I have softened the language in the title and removed the other forum's specifics from the post.

• Like x 1
  11. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

Could we have the link to the volt forum post? I occasionally like reading people in volt, or Corvette, or Porsche forums post about Tesla. It's fascinating to read their mental struggles and machinations.

• Like x 1
  12. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

#12 jsmay311, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    The article in question actually does explicitly explain this:

"The $7,500 credit isn’t cut until the end of the quarter after the one in which a company hits its limit of 200,000 cars delivered in the U.S. Tesla could extend that time period by reaching the limit on the first day of a quarter then deliver Model 3s over the next six months before the credit begins to disappear." (emphasis added)​

That said
    , it doesn't explain it until near the end of the article, after misleadingly giving a false impression otherwise earlier in the article. I'm guessing this was just due to carelessness by the author rather than ill intent. Regardless, it's poorly written.

Also bear in mind that much of the article's premise (that BASE Model 3's will be unlikely to get the FULL credit) relied on production volume projections that were done by an industry analyst and estimates of when base Model 3's will get built/delivered relative to more expensive versions.
    How Many Tesla Model 3 Buyers Will Be Eligible For $7,500 Federal Tax Credits? - GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site
    There are lots of folks on the GM-Volt forum that are pro-Tesla. Of course, you also have some anti-Tesla partisanship. You could easily modify those last 2 sentences to be about TMC and the Volt. :)

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

No intent to brigade. I was unable to find a working email link to the author on the Volt website, and thought someone who is a registered member might know how to reach the author or have access. I would have alternatively just left a comment but I am not a forum member.

I later found the author's email on another website where the article was also published (hybridcars maybe ?) and sent a message so this thread is deprecated.

Right you are; thanks for pointing this out.

However, the entire article is premised on the the wrong facts surrounding the federal rebate rules. If the author had started with this paragraph you quoted and gone from there I would not have a problem.