Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Misleading "ADVANCED" Software Update Preference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to post and see other people's opinions on the "ADVANCED" option for software updates.

I'm the type of person that wants the latest software as soon as it is released to the public (as I'm sure many of you all are as well ). So, it's frustrating to have this option that claims to ensure that you "receive software updates as soon as they become available for your car configuration and region".

Specifically, it seems that the rollout of 2020.12.5 is well underway, yet my Model 3 claims that the "Software is up to date". I know some YouTubers (DirtyTesla comes to mind) live in the same geographic area and have the same car "configuration" as I do, and already have 2020.12.5. So, it really seems like "ADVANCED" gets you almost nothing in terms of updates, at least in the first few weeks of the rollout.

What are your thoughts on that feature and Telsa software update rollouts in general?

As a side note: It's especially frustrating to not get these updates because they still haven't delivered any type of "early access" to people that purchased the FSD package, as they promised that they would. Anyone can use the "ADVANCED" preference! Pretty much lost hope for any special access there.

For the last few updates, I've been getting them earlier than most on my 2015 MS. Before that I used to be in the later batches of software rollouts.
Does your car have a solid connection to WiFi? it takes some time to download the update and won't update over cellular.

Hey dude. Sorry you're frustrated by this. In my opinion, the advanced tab doesn't do much. But either way, software updates are rolled out in batches. These batches are randomly determined by VIN. Each batch targets to update X amount of cars. Once X amount have received and installed the update, they slow/stop the roll out until they determine too many bugs and start a new roll out, or find the release acceptable and continue the roll out.

There are also unverified rumors of youtubers/influencers being on some time of list to get updates faster. While this is possible, I find it hard to believe. I was one of the last people on YouTube to actually get this update (out of the channels I watch anyway) with it coming in the seemingly second batch of updates.

One more tip... I've found if I go out to my car and switch to the software tab, that will tell me an update is available. I've done this for the past 2 or 3 updates, and it didn't pop up on my phone until I went out to the car and went into the software tab.

I've had mine set to Advanced since the option became available, and I immediately started getting every single content-containing patch (not necessarily the bugfix patches,) the first day it was generally available...

Until this one. Still no prompt to update, car still says it's on the latest software.

For the last few updates, I've been getting them earlier than most on my 2015 MS. Before that I used to be in the later batches of software rollouts.
Does your car have a solid connection to WiFi? it takes some time to download the update and won't update over cellular.

I usually will park in an area with pretty decent WiFi. There have been times, though, when I'm away from WiFi and I get a notification that an update is available for download before I get back to WiFi (and I have to wait to download it). So, it seems like you'd at least be able to see if any update is available, regardless of whether or not you're connected to WiFi at the time.

Hey dude. Sorry you're frustrated by this. In my opinion, the advanced tab doesn't do much. But either way, software updates are rolled out in batches. These batches are randomly determined by VIN. Each batch targets to update X amount of cars. Once X amount have received and installed the update, they slow/stop the roll out until they determine too many bugs and start a new roll out, or find the release acceptable and continue the roll out.

There are also unverified rumors of youtubers/influencers being on some time of list to get updates faster. While this is possible, I find it hard to believe. I was one of the last people on YouTube to actually get this update (out of the channels I watch anyway) with it coming in the seemingly second batch of updates.

One more tip... I've found if I go out to my car and switch to the software tab, that will tell me an update is available. I've done this for the past 2 or 3 updates, and it didn't pop up on my phone until I went out to the car and went into the software tab.

Hey man, thanks for the reply! I've definitely tried over the past few days to go to my M3 and switch to the software tab, only for it to say I'm up to date. It makes sense that they do it in batches to try to eliminate bugs getting widely distributed before they're caught, but it does get frustrating when there's a cool new feature like the Sentry Cam Viewer for which you need to wait some indeterminate and unknowable about of time. It would be nice if there were 3 options: STANDARD, ADVANCE, and then IMMEDIATE for people that don't mind risking bugs. I know from a business/risk perspective, it wouldn't make a ton of sense, but I would still like it.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Take the "Advanced" setting to mean "in one of the early roll-out waves" instead of "in the first roll-out wave" and spare yourself some brain cells.
Exactly. Think of it as relative rather absolute. You may get your update sooner than if you had selected Standard, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will be among the first to get the update.

I wanted to post and see other people's opinions on the "ADVANCED" option for software updates.

I'm the type of person that wants the latest software as soon as it is released to the public (as I'm sure many of you all are as well ). So, it's frustrating to have this option that claims to ensure that you "receive software updates as soon as they become available for your car configuration and region".

Specifically, it seems that the rollout of 2020.12.5 is well underway, yet my Model 3 claims that the "Software is up to date". I know some YouTubers (DirtyTesla comes to mind) live in the same geographic area and have the same car "configuration" as I do, and already have 2020.12.5. So, it really seems like "ADVANCED" gets you almost nothing in terms of updates, at least in the first few weeks of the rollout.

What are your thoughts on that feature and Telsa software update rollouts in general?

As a side note: It's especially frustrating to not get these updates because they still haven't delivered any type of "early access" to people that purchased the FSD package, as they promised that they would. Anyone can use the "ADVANCED" preference! Pretty much lost hope for any special access there.

I marked this "funny" because we have seen some form of this complaint since the advanced switch came out, and "discussing it here" isnt going to do anything to get you your update any faster, so its just a thought experiment to have a discussion about something while waiting at home.

On your other complaint about "I paid for FSD and dont have early access to software updates" try being like me, where you actually earned "early access to software updates " as a referral award under one of teslas earlier referral programs..... and not seeing a single shred of evidence that you ever got anything from that referral award (which was higher in the award tier than a full new set of award rims and tires, which I have also not gotten).

You just learn to roll with it, its all part of the tesla experience, and they will NEVER roll out a software update to the entire fleet at once right when it becomes available. Too much risk that way. They will likely always roll them out in the manner in which they do now.

As to "what does the advanced switch do" in my own opinion (which is worth what you are paying for it, meaning nothing), it just says "I am willing to be on the earlier waves of firmware" rather than the standard switch, which means "I only want verified stable versions, after everyone has tested them".

So, being on advanced only means you are willing... but tesla tells many of us "we are disinclined to acquiesce to your request".... (it means no)" (movie quote before someone jumps on me).

The software updates also get prioritized to the trim level of the car - ie people with FSD will most likely get the latest updates vs people with no FSD and no autopilot.
I don’t believe this to be accurate, as I have a Long Range, Model 3 with FSD, and recently upgraded to HW3. I generally receive most updates within the first 3 days of wide release in major updates, when referencing data found on TeslaFi. This update has not hit my vehicle either..I don’t personally think the Advanced button does anything.

Reactions: drewpost
upload_2020-4-10_19-38-40.jpeg

ANOTHER #ELONPROMISE

"We will add a feature to allow request of latest software version."
Isn't that exactly what Elon (Tesla) gave us? The option to request the latest software version? Just because someone indicates they prefer to get the latest doesn't mean they'll get it when they *think* they deserve to get it. We don't know Tesla's algorithm for determining when a specific car gets an update, let alone how this setting affects the scheduled rollout for that specific car.

For the sake of argument, even if that option is nothing more than a placebo, it's still an option that was added to the feature-set.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
The difference between the two is not that you will get a given version faster as versions are always rolled out in waves and this system likely will remain.

On average I'm getting an update every 13 days in the 1.5 years I own the car.

The think is I'm also getting versions like these in a very short cadence:

If you are not really interested in feeling that you are more a tester then you can opt-out of this craziness. This will ensure that you will always be in the the "final" wave of a given version as that means that version is the most stable version.

If you select ADVANCED, you *could* be in the first few larger deployment waves or even in the initial canary deployments and else you will be in the "stable/last" wave.

There is nothing misleading in the feature. Your car still needs to be selected to be part of the wave that currently is ongoing.

By the way, you want to receive updates faster and be in the canary deployments? I'm pretty sure that requires that you drive a lot and pretty much daily and always be connected to Wifi. I don't have proof but in my own experience I almost always received new versions instantly when then popped up on Teslafi when I'm driving the car more.

I have been watching my software updates in (A)DVANCED versus (N)ORMAL distribution mode since the option appeared and the "Days from Discovery to Install" as shown on TeslaFi. Here are the results:

2020.12.5: 7 days -- Changed A to N and update triggered
2020.8.1: 5 days -- A
2020.4.1: 3 days -- A
2019.40.50.7: 3 days -- A
2019.40.50.5: 2 days -- A
2019.40.50.1: 2 days -- A
2019.40.2.1: 4 days -- A
2019.36.2.1: 3 days -- Changed N to A and update triggered
2019.32.12.2: 0 days -- N
2019.32.12.1: 1 day -- N
2019.32.11.1: 2 days -- N
2019.32.11: 0 days -- N
2019.32.10.1: 1 day -- N
2019.32.2.2: 1 day -- N
2019.32: 2 days -- N
2019.28.3.1: 7 days -- Changed A to N and update triggered
2019.28.2: 6 days -- A
2019.24.4: 5 days -- A
2019.20.4.2: 1 day -- N
2019.12.1.2: 2 day -- No such option

Ignoring the times I changed, which consistently triggers the update if it has been more than 2 days, in (A)dvanced mode I have averaged 4 days between updates and in (N)ormal mode I have averaged 1 day between updates.

I don't know what good Advanced does for me . . .

Maztec, just going to the software tab in the menus will make the car check if an update is available for it. That takes a few seconds. Maybe what effect you think changing the setting has is a fluke and it was just the time of checking?
I've seen my car check for updates with the Advanced preference and report none available (including after a reboot) and then report an available update after setting the preference to Normal and rebooting. It happened once after my car was at a body shop for several weeks and the update was a couple versions behind what was rolling out at that time. It did make me wonder whether the eligible VIN lists are formed separately for different preference flag values, creating a situation where the Advanced list has moved on to the next version that the car is not yet marked for while the Normal list still has the car eligible for an older-than-Advanced version. Since this happened just once and after a long period of not receiving updates, I didn't read into it too much.

Advanced vs Normal never really seemed to have much effect. I don’t know if anyones ever been able to work out any rhyme or reason to what it actually does.

Non-safety-critical LTE OTA updates went away pretty early on in the Model 3 run, something like July or August 2018 IIRC.

All I know, is that our Tesla's seem to be on a weird OTA patch cycle. It's been 67 days since our last OTA. Shortest OTA period is 5 days and longest was 140. There is no consistency for rollouts to our Tesla's.

And, when you look at other Tesla models', similar configurations, and in the same country, I have absolutely no understanding how the rollouts work. Yes, supposedly, OTA's are released in batches to avoid bugs in Tesla's, if an OTA has bugs. Yes, supposedly, OTA's are released based on MCU/ICE. Yes, supposedly the OTA's are randomly determined by VIN.

Then explain how 1,000's of Tesla's are updated from one OTA to two or three OTA's within weeks of each other? I.e., 40.6 (11/19/21) to 44.5 (12/09/21) to 44.5 (12/16/21). That's three OTA's within 30 days.

I know it's a first world problem, however, it's very frustrating when there are major updates, with great new features and safety features, and your Tesla's seem to get left behind. And, to add insult to injury, after waiting months for an OTA it seems like our Tesla's, many times just get a bug fix OTA.

FYI: 2019 M3 2021 MY

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 8.42.13 AM.png

Last edited: