Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Misleading Article in Ontario about tax subsidies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was something in the media in Quebec today too about the province giving away EV grants on million dollar vehicles.
The Porsche 918 was mentioned, but they left out a few details:

1) Due to it's small battery it only qualifies for $500 off.
2) There are only one or two of them in the province.
3) Quebec has a luxury tax applied at registration to cars costing over $40,000. In the case of the 1.1 million dollar 918, the owner will have to pay an additional $10,600 per year just to have license plates.

Reactions: BravoSarah
I think that the political reality is such that, if we want to retain these rebates at all, there needs to be a price cap like BC has. That is no rebates at all for vehicles more than $77k. I'd actually set the limit lower, say $60k. Though many here complain, I think people in Ontario should consider themselves fortunate that a $3000 rebate is still available for the Model S and X.

There will be an election in Ontario in June 2018. Electric car rebates are low-hanging fruit for the PCs to pledge to cut. If they win the election and eliminate the rebates, that means nobody in Ontario will get a rebate for a Model 3.

Ending tax rebates "for the rich" is a politically popular message. A price cap neutralizes that.

Wow, quite the aggressive spin on that article!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but given Ontario's aggressive carbon-reduction goals, isn't EV adoption a low-hanging fruit? We have lots of low carbon electricity generation to charge our future EVs.

I really hope the next government doesn't scrap the plan as the $14k subsidy is necessary for me to afford just the base model.

It's already over. The program doesn't apply any more and if the Libs want to they can say that.

All that said... the taxpayers didn't help the guy. To buy his $1M car he undoubtedly probably paid a buttload of income taxes (pushing 50% in that bracket, so within spitting distance of $1M income tax), plus another 150K in sales taxes. That he's given a break of a few thousand doesn't strike me to be the the greatest injustice in the world.

Reactions: Kalud and Jaff
It's already over. The program doesn't apply any more and if the Libs want to they can say that.

All that said... the taxpayers didn't help the guy. To buy his $1M car he undoubtedly probably paid a buttload of income taxes (pushing 50% in that bracket, so within spitting distance of $1M income tax), plus another 150K in sales taxes. That he's given a break of a few thousand doesn't strike me to be the the greatest injustice in the world.

All very true Sandpiper (except that one who can afford to drop $1,000,000 IS rich imo, as opposed to we folks who can afford to finance a $150,000 car)...this guy's marginal tax rate under the new rate will be closer to 53%...

Reactions: Ktowntslafan