Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mismatched falcon wing door roof glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've been getting a bit of rain the SF Bay Area and I noticed that the recently replaced roof glass ($1,112.75 plus tax--ouch!) on one of the falcon wing doors no longer matches the other side. Original has the orange glow and replacement does not. I think it looks terrible--super disappointed. I've just reached out to the Tesla service center. Has anyone encountered this situation before and gotten a resolution from Tesla?

IMG_4829.jpg

We've been getting a bit of rain the SF Bay Area and I noticed that the recently replaced roof glass ($1,112.75 plus tax--ouch!) on one of the falcon wing doors no longer matches the other side. Original has the orange glow and replacement does not. I think it looks terrible--super disappointed. I've just reached out to the Tesla service center. Has anyone encountered this situation before and gotten a resolution from Tesla?

View attachment 490106

Your resolution might be the offer to replace the other side for $1,112.75 plus tax. The orange tint is from a layered glass that they used. It reflects UV rays to reduce cabin temp. What they found was that the glass surface on those are small enough that it had minimal effect and replaced it with factory tinted glass rather than UV reflective. I'm not sure the UV reflective piece is even made anymore..

yes. we brought it back to the service center and they swapped one out so they both match.

From the inside it probably looks like this

View attachment 490272
@forkee Thats exactly it--thanks for that! Unfortunately my service center rejected the request to match the glass. Did you have to escalate or anything?

On our Model 3 we have the different UV treatment on the top and rear of the roof glass so I'm aware of the changes Tesla made on this. On the X, it just looks really ludicrous (haha, in a bad way unfortunately) having both sides mismatch. Very obvious from the third row seats and from outside when it's wet.

@scottf200 It doesn't look the same from the inside, the difference is always visible from the inside but only obvious when wet outside, and we noticed it when a friend in the 3rd row asked why they didn't match. :-/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Holy *sugar*, I have this too. Except I have the opposite. My orange tinted glass is over the driver’s side FWD. I had that side replaced shortly after getting my car and they must have still had the old orange tinted glass as replacement parts.

I am also in the SF Bay Area.

Maybe we can figure out a way to have them at least swap our glass.

C14957ED-56FF-48FE-A805-55EA8FA1395D.jpeg

@forkee Thats exactly it--thanks for that! Unfortunately my service center rejected the request to match the glass. Did you have to escalate or anything?

On our Model 3 we have the different UV treatment on the top and rear of the roof glass so I'm aware of the changes Tesla made on this. On the X, it just looks really ludicrous (haha, in a bad way unfortunately) having both sides mismatch. Very obvious from the third row seats and from outside when it's wet.

@scottf200 It doesn't look the same from the inside, the difference is always visible from the inside but only obvious when wet outside, and we noticed it when a friend in the 3rd row asked why they didn't match. :-/

Terrible. Pushback or find another SC. Maybe even ask one of the forum members who had this done successfully to send you their repair invoice with personal info redacted.

Holy *sugar*, I have this too. Except I have the opposite. My orange tinted glass is over the driver’s side FWD. I had that side replaced shortly after getting my car and they must have still had the old orange tinted glass as replacement parts.

I am also in the SF Bay Area.

Maybe we can figure out a way to have them at least swap our glass.

View attachment 498307
@gnumeric If you're up for it, I'm good with swapping glass. Our original is like the one you have on the driver's side, and that was replaced 1-month ago with a panel that looks like the one on your passenger side. I'd be fine with whatever panel as long as they match. I use the Burlingame SC, which I'm normally pretty happy with. Let me know and I'll contact the SC to see what they can do.

• Helpful
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Wow. Blown away you guys can live with this. I would pay to replace the other one if they won't warrant it. That looks terrible.
@lowtek First world problem I know, but it just looks so ridiculous when it's obvious. I've considered paying to have the other side replaced, but I'll try to work something out first before deciding.

There was no specific reason given for rejecting the service request but after thinking about it I think it's no different than the seat material changes. I have the older leather seating material in the car. Hypothetically, if it had to be replaced would they replace it with the newer vegan material? That would be pretty unacceptable and I'm doubtful they would do that for seats.

Reactions: buckets0fun
@gnumeric If you're up for it, I'm good with swapping glass. Our original is like the one you have on the driver's side, and that was replaced 1-month ago with a panel that looks like the one on your passenger side. I'd be fine with whatever panel as long as they match. I use the Burlingame SC, which I'm normally pretty happy with. Let me know and I'll contact the SC to see what they can do.

Yep, I’d be down for that! Let me know what the SC says. You can have the orange tinted glass since that was the way yours originally came. Mine originally came with the tinted glass.

I’m in the South Bay, close to the Santa Clara SC, but either one is fine. Burlingame is a short drive away.

We originally brought it in due to the bordering rubber seals aging and getting brittle. since it's all one piece, they replaced the whole window. we didn't notice it wasn't the same until a few days later but when we told the service center they said to schedule another appointment (a month out) and they would swap it out no charge (original seal/glass was replaced under warranty). took an hour but they didn't really make a fuss about it.

Reactions: dogldogl
This thread is a perfect example of the current state of Tesla and why I stopped arguing over the yellow band around my screen... One person got it but others are being denied, there's zero consistency in anything... It's ridiculous...

Jeff
Same with manufacturers of just about anything. Both my buddy and I bought battery powered snow blowers I bough mine slightly used and he bought new. I registered mine and told them I was the second owner and when I was told it had been purchased. I had an issue with the circuit card after a blizzard. I called the company and received a replacement snow blower. My buddy had the same issue and is going round and round with the company trying to diagnose the issue over the phone. So this is not a Tesla only issue.